Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:44:30 am

Author Topic: I'm unsure about my degree - what should I do?  (Read 607 times)  Share 

martinstran

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +8
I'm unsure about my degree - what should I do?
« on: March 26, 2020, 04:07:18 pm »
So I'm currently studying Actuarial Studies at MQ and I'm really not enjoying myself or the degree. Census date is approaching and I'm not sure if I should drop out of the course or not. I don't really know what I actually want to do now, so is it too much of an extreme measure to drop out of uni? In high school, I wasn't really sure of what I wanted to do either, so I ended up 'hoarding' random offers in each of the UAC rounds - MQ offered a scholarship so I accepted (not the best way to choose a degree I guess :confused:). My other preferences included some combinations of commerce/arts/science - so kinda more liberal studies degrees where there's a little bit more flexibility.

As to what industries I see myself working in, I really don't know. I've thought about a really wide range of industries that I might enjoy - from teaching to dentistry to architecture, but can't really pinpoint exactly the right thing.

What should I do now??

Any help/advice is much appreciated, and feel free to leave any suggestions as to what degree/vocation I might enjoy doing, even maybe based on my HSC marks??!? (my marks are pretty much highest to lowest in terms of levels of enjoyment of the subject I guess - s+c mightt edge out maths in that regard).
HSC 2019
ENG (Std) 89 | MX1 98 | MX2 99| ECO 89 | S+C 94 | SOR 1 44 | ATAR: 99

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
Re: I'm unsure about my degree - what should I do?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 08:18:45 pm »
+1
Hey!

Now's a really confusing time for everyone, which must make it even more confusing trying to figure out what's next for! The good thing is that you have already recognised that you aren't enjoying your degree, and want to do something about it. Have you considered any of these options?:

1. Take a gap year and defer your course for 6-12 months.
Obviously you could be a little limited atm in terms of what you could do in a gap year, but I'm sure there's still some great options.

2. Transfer to a more flexible degree - that way you can sample a broad range of units and find out what you do enjoy.

As for suggestions, looking at your subjects, have you considered social science, political studies, engineering, data science or psychology?

Definitely worth chatting with people you are close with - maybe they could have some insights/suggestions that you hadn't seen in yourself.

Hope the decision-making goes well!
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD