Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:00:49 pm

Author Topic: how to revise old content?  (Read 1393 times)  Share 

MoonChild1234

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +17
how to revise old content?
« on: August 15, 2020, 01:30:12 pm »
I'm trying to start exam prep and a bit lost on where to start. How should I effectively revise unit 3 (i reckon i remember around 60% of it)? Should I start practice exams and just revise where I have gaps? Or should I redo all the prac questions I have for each area of study before starting practice exams?

Thank you!

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
  • Respect: +81
Re: how to revise old content?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 01:44:45 pm »
+8
Hey MoonChild!

It's great to see that you're taking a proactive approach and beginning to study early for psych.
Personally, I would recommend doing a practice exam that's on unit 3 content. Take it, mark it and then you can see what gaps there are within your knowledge. Wherever there is a gap, revise that specific point or topic the way that benefits you most. If you are wanting to look for new ways to study, ATAR Notes has many articles explaining different yet effective ways to study and revise content.

Happy studying!
2019: 1/2 Psych

2020: English, Bio, Chem, Psych, HHD, Methods

2021: bye bye psych :D

MoonChild1234

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 02:11:23 pm »
thank you so much scientificllama!

Yup, I did a unit 3 exam today (it wasn't that great haha), but I'm working on ironing out the gaps in my knowledge. Do you think a mix of both would work: revising unit 3 + doing unit 3 exams simultaneously until i feel i know it well

I'm planning on doing full unit 3/4 exams in a couple of weeks, after I finish all the content. Would this be a good idea?

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 02:23:26 pm »
+3
thank you so much scientificllama!

Yup, I did a unit 3 exam today (it wasn't that great haha), but I'm working on ironing out the gaps in my knowledge. Do you think a mix of both would work: revising unit 3 + doing unit 3 exams simultaneously until i feel i know it well

I'm planning on doing full unit 3/4 exams in a couple of weeks after I finish all the content. Would this be a good idea?

Not a problem at all!
I think a mix would work quite well :) Take a prac exam and study what you got wrong and what you don't understand, revise and so on and so forth.
Have you finished all of the unit 4 content? If not, don't worry about doing a full practice exam. However, revising for both unit 3 and 4 (once you are comfortable with all the unit 3 content) would be the most beneficial to do via a full prac exam. It might also help with understanding the type of questions and how to properly answer them :)
Just a heads up with the unit 3 & 4 exams, there may be some content that's in it that has been removed from this years study design.

Best of luck!
2019: 1/2 Psych

2020: English, Bio, Chem, Psych, HHD, Methods

2021: bye bye psych :D

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 09:34:33 pm »
+2
Yes, I agree start do unit 3 practice exam questions.
Complete the exam open book, to make sure you are not missing anything in your notes.
Then as you build your confidence, try to an exam without your notes.
Every question you get it wrong, or not score full marks
Add to your 'mistakes' journal, this helps identify your weaknesses.
Once you finish unit 4 you can then try completing whole exams.
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis