Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 08:14:24 am

Author Topic: ATAR Notes VCE/HSC Video Series SNEAK PEEK - and Feedback, Please!  (Read 6318 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
+12

Heeeeere we go. I've managed to wrangle a sneak peek video for you for the upcoming revision video series. ;D Some things to say:

1. This definitely isn't finalised! This is just part of the way there, and we wanted to share with you our progress. ;) It's probably a bit unusual for that to happen but like, we figure we're making these videos for you, so there's literally nothing more valuable than your feedback!
2. We're going to be doing an HSC equivalent. So for all of you in New South Wales, please - your feedback is extra useful, because you'll be benefiting from it most! ;D

So, please enjoy, and let us know what you think! Is the lighting okay? Is the video too short/long? Were you distracted by the camera movements?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: ATAR Notes VCE/HSC Video Series SNEAK PEEK - and Feedback, Please!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 02:28:21 pm »
+3
This looks soooooooooo good. Loving the filming - I always found it boring when a video only had one angle. I'm not sure whether you'll be doing this, but maybe intersperse the video with dot points of key info/a small summary? Otherwise it might be a bit of an info dump.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 02:29:47 pm »
+1
This looks soooooooooo good. Loving the filming - I always found it boring when a video only had one angle. I'm not sure whether you'll be doing this, but maybe intersperse the video with dot points of key info/a small summary? Otherwise it might be a bit of an info dump.

Nice one! Thanks Kate. A lot of the videos will be interspersed with hand-writing (as you'd see in uni lectures etc.), because you're right - it could be a bit overwhelming otherwise! It just so happens that Karly didn't deem it necessary for this particular Business Management video. :)

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 02:35:48 pm »
+5
Camera was a little shaky, which is slightly distracting. My recommendation is to perhaps avoid or have cleaner movements, if you can. Otherwise, it looks like a great start to something new!

EDIT: Also maybe a banner underneath Karly's face saying her name and the subject she's tutoring when she introduces herself, for those who miss it or are better readers than listeners. Might help in terms of professionalism or just being able to pinpoint the subject easier. :)   
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 02:46:20 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

sdfg

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 02:38:02 pm »
+1
Camera was a little shaky, which is slightly distracting. My recommendation is to perhaps avoid or have cleaner movements, if you can. Otherwise, it looks like a great start to something new!

Yeah, agreed - camera was a bit shaky which made it slightly distracting. Otherwise, looks super cool and awesome! ;D
Psychology [45] | HHD [47]

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 02:39:29 pm »

Yeah, agreed - camera was a bit shaky which made it slightly distracting. Otherwise, looks super cool and awesome! ;D

Awesome! Thank you so much for this - we'll go about remedying it. ;D

EDIT: Also maybe a banner underneath Karly's face saying her name and the subject she's tutoring when she introduces herself, for those who miss it or are better readers than listeners. Might help in terms of professionalism or just being able to pinpoint the subject easier. :)   

Yeah, 100%! Titles and stuff are definitely coming. :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 03:12:46 pm by Joseph41 »

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 04:37:20 pm »

This is great! I'm so excited to see what y'all come up with.
And I agree with AngelWings' opinion on the title for readers as well as listeners. Will you be writing down key points the tutors make at the bottom of the video as well, (short statements that really stand out) just to keep people on track? This could be helpful.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 04:47:10 pm »
+1
This is great! I'm so excited to see what y'all come up with.
And I agree with AngelWings' opinion on the title for readers as well as listeners. Will you be writing down key points the tutors make at the bottom of the video as well, (short statements that really stand out) just to keep people on track? This could be helpful.

Titles will definitely be a thing. :)

Good suggestion on the other captions and the like - this is probably something for us to consider for the HSC series. :D

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 10:01:44 pm »
+4
Hey!

I'm a film student so I'm just going to comment on the technical aspects aha. Some of them have been addressed above-

- Stick with one camera angle. The cuts were a bit out of place imo and were unnecessary. Plus only having one angle will make it easier to edit in post-prod ;) Though if you do want to have multiple shots, please don't have the camera shaking- which brings me to my next point.
- Camera was shaky and made me dizzy and distracted. Having a tripod is definitely worth it ;D Or a stabiliser at least (you can have an actual, physical stabiliser or edit the video to be stabilise in post prod)
- Captions please
- This is just a suggestion but have text pop on the screen for the key words mentioned in the video. Anna Akana (on youtube) does this in her videos and I find it really engaging

The lighting, camera quality and sound is absolutely perfect! May I ask what lights, camera and microphone did you use?
This video series looks really good! Can't wait for this (despite already graduating the HSC ahah). This would be heaps useful and helpful!!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 11:15:06 am »
+1
^Thanks Bea! :D

I think the movements were actually intentional to try to make the whole thing a bit more natural or organic or whatever, but I think I agree: it's distracting!

I'm going to let our filming/editing team know, and get them to fix it up in post-prod. :)

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 12:21:43 pm »
+1
Yeah.... the motion thingy made me sick (esp when viewing on a full screen, 23 inch monitor)...

Also I found the video doesn't capture the eye. Not sure if it's just me..but I'm not a very big fan of just talking. There needs to be some:
- Music
- Text
- Animation

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 04:23:26 pm »
Yeah.... the motion thingy made me sick (esp when viewing on a full screen, 23 inch monitor)...

Also I found the video doesn't capture the eye. Not sure if it's just me..but I'm not a very big fan of just talking. There needs to be some:
- Music
- Text
- Animation

Thanks EEEEEEP! ;D

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 09:34:57 am »
+5
Hey all! So we have a bit of an update. Do you think this is better? Do you think it's worse?

Titles and the like are still to come. And there's a bit of weird stuff going on around the edges - just ignore that for now. ;D

Looking forward to your thoughts.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 05:47:36 pm »
+1
I think it’s better :)

I know someone said it earlier but the shots from the side feel unnecessary, if you’re planning on making longer videos and don’t want them just straight on I would prefer it changing to a screen with writing/images with her talking over the top of it. With a video that is only a few minutes long the angle changes are just distracting.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 10:57:21 am »
Thanks PF. :)