Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:21:35 pm

Author Topic: Blossom's VCE journal  (Read 3027 times)

blossom

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10
Blossom's VCE journal
« on: August 01, 2018, 12:18:11 pm »
+10
I'm on the atar notes mailing list having attended some lectures, but I've never made an account until now. It was when I found an article entitled "Reasons you should keep trying RN" and one particular sentence really resonated with me. It read, "Strolling out of your exam room after 13 years of education – with full knowledge that you gave Year 12 everything – is definitely something you’ll remember."

When I do put down my pen in my last exam, on the very last day before my freedom (at least for a little while), I want to feel as though I made the most of my opportunities and used my last 4 months as well as I could have. This journal is to keep up my momentum and motivation, especially to get me through the Sunday night anxiety that some of us suffer from.

I don't know whether anyone will read this, but if you I'd love to be friends! I'm new here, so please be nice  :)

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
Re: Blossom's VCE journal
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 12:29:13 pm »
+5
I'm on the atar notes mailing list having attended some lectures, but I've never made an account until now. It was when I found an article entitled "Reasons you should keep trying RN" and one particular sentence really resonated with me. It read, "Strolling out of your exam room after 13 years of education – with full knowledge that you gave Year 12 everything – is definitely something you’ll remember."

When I do put down my pen in my last exam, on the very last day before my freedom (at least for a little while), I want to feel as though I made the most of my opportunities and used my last 4 months as well as I could have. This journal is to keep up my momentum and motivation, especially to get me through the Sunday night anxiety that some of us suffer from.

I don't know whether anyone will read this, but if you I'd love to be friends! I'm new here, so please be nice  :)
Hi, blossom! Welcome to the forums :)

This looks like a great way to motivate yourself and keep everything on track. We're close to the end, so hang in there, and good luck!

Looking forward to future updates. See you around! :)

Oh, and by the way - we're a community here, so if you need any support feel absolutely free to ask for it.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 12:41:02 pm »
Hey blossom, welcome to the forums! Really glad you enjoyed the article. :)

Let us know if you need help with anything!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:43:15 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

blossom

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 12:46:12 pm »
+3
Hi, blossom! Welcome to the forums :)

This looks like a great way to motivate yourself and keep everything on track. We're close to the end, so hang in there, and good luck!

Looking forward to future updates. See you around! :)

Oh, and by the way - we're a community here, so if you need any support feel absolutely free to ask for it.

Hey blossom, welcome to the forums! Really glad you enjoyed the article. :)

Let us know if you need help with anything!

Thanks guys! See you around on the forums :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 01:19:15 pm »
Thanks guys! See you around on the forums :)

Looking forward to it!

What subjects are you doing? :)

blossom

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 06:40:38 pm »
+5
What subjects are you doing? :)

This year I'm doing english, methods, chemistry and a lote. Last year I completed 3/4 biology.

I might talk about each subject with a bit of detail, first up, methods

Methods is my favourite subject at the moment (yep, I'm one of those weirdos who actually enjoys maths eh  ;D). I haven't found the concepts too difficult so far, but sometimes it's the application of the concepts that can trip me up- especially under sac timed conditions. I've been averaging around 85% for my sacs which I'm pretty happy with, I'm aiming for 40+ but I know it's my exam performance which will really decide things. Maybe I should do more timed practice. I've started doing a couple of practice exams without timed conditions and am aiming to do 2 per week for the rest of term- one during a free and one over the weekend. I have 1 or 2 frees per day as we have 5 classes per day at my school. (When I say 2 practice exams, I guess I'm counting exam 1 and exam 2 as together). So lucky that my school gives up electronic copies of the exams, as I don't have to use all my spare coins on printing money! Instead I just complete the exam in my workbook. (I strongly advise everyone out there in this situation to do the same no matter the subject, I did it for bio last year- extremely helpful as you can get through tons of papers really quickly, and sort through them easily). Going to catch up on a few methods exercises now so I don't fall behind in class, we're moving quite quickly through probability.

Yesterday some english work was due that I'd forgotten about, so I better do that soon! I was planning to finish in my free today, but then atar notes happened, so... ;) Hope this wasn't too boring haha

blossom

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 09:34:31 am »
+1
Here are some thoughts that filtered through my brain when trying to complete an exercise on binomial distributions.

I have a ti-nspire cas (obviously the superior calculator, but my sister disagrees with me there). When the screen is on, it makes an extremely high pitched sound. Luckily it's barely noticable as its very soft, but still, for those intense methods sessions there's that constant high pitched noise. I wonder if this happens with anyone else's cas. hmm...

Totally random thought, but I feel like no one is talking about how VCE discussion space has been taken down? I agree that the polls were getting excessive, but to remove the whole group makes me a bit disheartened. Where to go now for my post sac blues?

I decided to look up the word from the worked solutions 'abtaining' because maybe cambrige was all about those fancy words that no one rally understands but nope, it was just a typo  ;D

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 09:59:09 am »
Hey :)

Don't worry,  you're far from the only person on this forum which likes maths. I think that I won't be studing any maths next year, which is a bit sad, but at least there are lots of resources online for if I decide to expand my knowledge when I have spare time.

I certainly agree with you that practice exams are a great way to study, do you do this for your other subjects as well?

Do you have an idea of what you want to be doing next year?
What LOTE are you studying?
How did you decide on your subjects?

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 10:00:41 am »
Here are some thoughts that filtered through my brain when trying to complete an exercise on binomial distributions.

I have a ti-nspire cas (obviously the superior calculator, but my sister disagrees with me there). When the screen is on, it makes an extremely high pitched sound. Luckily it's barely noticable as its very soft, but still, for those intense methods sessions there's that constant high pitched noise. I wonder if this happens with anyone else's cas. hmm...

Totally random thought, but I feel like no one is talking about how VCE discussion space has been taken down? I agree that the polls were getting excessive, but to remove the whole group makes me a bit disheartened. Where to go now for my post sac blues?

I decided to look up the word from the worked solutions 'abtaining' because maybe cambrige was all about those fancy words that no one rally understands but nope, it was just a typo  ;D

My CAS was on "press to test mode" for literally the entirety of Year 12 hahaha. Good times.

blossom

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 02:20:40 pm »
+4
I certainly agree with you that practice exams are a great way to study, do you do this for your other subjects as well?

Lots of questions  :D

Yep, I believe practice exams are the way to go! My approach to content-based/maths subjects is basically 1) textbook questions, 2) writing notes, 3) practice tests and exams, sometimes additional resources such as checkpoints or resources from my school library.

Do you have an idea of what you want to be doing next year?

The dreaded question of what to do next year. Honestly, I can't picture myself as an adult, going to the same workplace every day, 5 days a week. I'm thinking of doing a general science course just to see what I find most interesting, and then continuing on from that at a later date. I love learning, so I'm looking towards a career where you constantly increase your knowledge. In saying that, I'd also like to work part time in a retail or food job, something relatively easy. But this will probably be just to support myself during uni.

What LOTE are you studying?

Bit of a silly answer for this, but I'd rather not say in order to keep my anonymity as it's quite a small LOTE. Hope you don't mind  :)

How did you decide on your subjects?

I knew that I wanted to continue my LOTE, as I'd committed so many years to it before taking it up in VCE. English, methods and chem I was always going to do, as prerequisites, and I also just enjoyed each of the subjects. (English not so much, but our relationship is getting better  ;) ). I didn't know what 3/4 to take in year 11, but biology seemed to be a fairly popular subject.  I wanted to feel supported going into my first year 12 subject, and I'm so glad I picked it because it turned out to be my favourite subject!

Thanks for the questions. See you guys in my next post  :)

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 10:35:56 pm »
I'm thinking of doing a general science course just to see what I find most interesting, and then continuing on from that at a later date. I love learning, so I'm looking towards a career where you constantly increase your knowledge. In saying that, I'd also like to work part time in a retail or food job, something relatively easy. But this will probably be just to support myself during uni.
Fair enough. Sounds like what I did at the start of uni. ;)
Question for you, what sorts of activities or hobbies do you enjoy outside of school?
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 08:29:57 am »
+2

Loving learning is a great start, and something that I'm sure will help you no matter where you end up :)

Of course it's fine to protect your privacy :) I hadn't considered that aspect,  genuinely sorry if you felt uncomfortable.

Biology was my favourite subject too, I'm glad that you had such a positive introduction to 3/4 subjects :)

Thankyou for answering all the questions! 

blossom

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 04:03:49 pm »
+4
English. Oh English.

I tried writing a language analysis essay today. My writing was sloppy, argument split weak and my analysis of specific language was pathetic. I spent over an hour and a half just writing the introduction and analysing the first text, then just gave up. Didn't even make it to the responding piece. I feel terrible at english, how on earth am I going to be able to write three essays in an hour. This is one of my worst essays yet. It's unfinished, messy, weak, lacks depth, analysis is crumbly like a pasty. Motivation is at an all time low. I still have to write a text response essay before english class tomorrow. RIP blossom 2018- 2018.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 04:15:50 pm »
+1
^This post sums up my entire experience with English to date haha

Good luck with writing your text response - if you’re struggling with what to write, just write anything and then take a break and edit it later, rather than worrying about trying to find the perfect phrasing or idea.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra