Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:14:11 am

Author Topic: Software course?  (Read 1042 times)  Share 

Theo1290

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Software course?
« on: December 12, 2019, 07:55:47 am »
Struggling to decide course preferences even now that I have my vce results, mainly because I'm unsure of what unis to apply for, and what exact courses to go for. I want to do a course that involves programming, yet I see there's bachelor of science (major in it), bachelor of information technology, bachelor of computing and bachelor of software engineering at different unis and I'm unsure what the difference between them is. Also unsure of best uni for this, the only advice I have is swinburne>rmit, rmit bad.

And my relevant results for this are: Atar- 74.45, maths methods raw ss 23 (a lot of courses require a 25, not sure if there's leeway for 23 but I doubt it) And I received the 25/30 required for English. Also did SEAS category 1 and 3, (and received an email from rmit and monash about it) so I should have a better ATAR ranking score)

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Software course?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 10:35:29 am »
+1
Struggling to decide course preferences even now that I have my vce results, mainly because I'm unsure of what unis to apply for, and what exact courses to go for. I want to do a course that involves programming, yet I see there's bachelor of science (major in it), bachelor of information technology, bachelor of computing and bachelor of software engineering at different unis and I'm unsure what the difference between them is. Also unsure of best uni for this, the only advice I have is swinburne>rmit, rmit bad.

And my relevant results for this are: Atar- 74.45, maths methods raw ss 23 (a lot of courses require a 25, not sure if there's leeway for 23 but I doubt it) And I received the 25/30 required for English. Also did SEAS category 1 and 3, (and received an email from rmit and monash about it) so I should have a better ATAR ranking score)
There's lots of options as each one focuses on slightly different things, although I think the ones you mentioned all include coding/ programming to some extent. In the courses you mentioned above, the focus is as follows:
Bachelor of Science (major in IT/ Computer Science) - a general course that will focus on IT/ Computer Science, but will allow you to take other subjects in science in general (e.g. get a minor in Chemistry, if you so wished) or even take subjects out of faculty (e.g. take Italian for fun). General degrees are typically known for their flexibility, but are less known for their specificity.
Bachelor of IT - less general than a Bachelor of Science, it focuses just on IT. Depending on where you go and what subjects you pick, you'll be able to hone in on the major and/or minors you pick. It usually has a lower prereq for maths, as IT doesn't focus on the maths-y parts, but this is usually a less hardcore version of Computer Science/ Software Development (according to a former Monash IT/Arts student).
Bachelor of Computing and Bachelor of Software Engineering - My understanding of these is that these are genuinely the more hardcore ones with more programming/ coding and as a result, usually have the higher maths prerequisites.

The best uni for you is usually the one you're most comfortable with, but also should consider aspects important to you such as:
- convenience (especially for an undergrad degree)
- industry connections/ experience/ employability
- social atmosphere
- (to some people) reputation/prestige, although I feel this is one of the minor things you should look at for a uni, with some exceptions (wanting to go into research being the main culprit)

A good idea would be to check out some unis/ institutes you're interested in via the Change of Preference Days, which I've collated a general list here.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Theo1290

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 12:34:03 am »
Thanks again AngelWings! I attended rmit today, will be going to swinburne/melbourne/monash tomorrow. I think melbourne/monash are out of the question, so for now I'm looking at a pretty hard choice between rmit vs swinburne. I can't do bachelor of software engineering at either one directly, which is where I could instead look at deakin or victoria university. (which I'm not too interested in to be honest) At rmit I was told 1 year of bachelor of information technology and depending on results I can transfer.

CyberScopes

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 01:00:40 am »
+1
Just thought id add, software engineering focuses on more on the application of software (working in teams, math behind software proofs, common tools used in industry, understanding the software development process) while computer science focuses more on research (algorithms, majoring in AI or security, etc)
Want to track your WAM, organise your marks and analyse your progress throughout your degree, all on your phone?
Get Unicore now: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atude.mywam

2017 ATAR: 93.10
Mathematics 2U | Mathematics Extension 1 | Advanced English | Physics | IPT | Economics
Software Engineering at UNSW