Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:36:40 pm

Author Topic: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!  (Read 750269 times)  Share 

cmati

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +12
Re: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!
« Reply #2610 on: November 22, 2020, 09:16:08 pm »
Hi Stick, i got a sac average of 98% in a strong cohort/high ranked, I think I dropped 2 marks on exam 1 and 3 marks on exam 2, can I still get 45+ in Further maths 2020

Hey there Cha0132,
Congratulations on your amazing results!! I think you are in a great place to get a 45 study score or higher, do you know your exact ranking and how many students are in the cohort?

AlannahBottino

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2611 on: November 29, 2020, 07:27:18 am »
Hi, this year I accelerated in 3/4 methods and just completed the subject. I have picked up further as my fifth subject. How difficult will it be to pick up 3/4 further without having done units 1 and 2?

Thanks!  ;D

fish58

• Adventurer
« Reply #2612 on: November 29, 2020, 09:58:16 am »
Hello 😀

I am a Mathematics teacher and actually teach 11 General Maths and the year 12 equivalent which is Further Mathematics. Year 11 General is actually easier than standard year 10 Mathematics and you will have no difficulty at all doing Further Mathematics without having completed General Mathematics.

I hope your Methods examinations went well and you get the score you hope for 👍👍

waterangel82

• Forum Regular
  • 'The world is quiet here.'
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #2613 on: November 29, 2020, 11:16:16 am »
Hello 😀

I am a Mathematics teacher and actually teach 11 General Maths and the year 12 equivalent which is Further Mathematics. Year 11 General is actually easier than standard year 10 Mathematics and you will have no difficulty at all doing Further Mathematics without having completed General Mathematics.

I hope your Methods examinations went well and you get the score you hope for 👍👍

I definitely wouldn't say Year 11 General Maths is easier than Year 10 Standard maths, because you do learn new content in General Maths like Networks (if your school chooses to), and the difficulty of the assessments that your school sets. I personally found Year 11 General Maths (back when I did it) much more challenging than Further Maths simply because of the sheer amount of content we had to learn (our school decided to teach us every topic) and the assessments that were set by my school were very difficult (no one got above 84% in the Year 11 General maths final exam, and this was a select entry cohort).

Hi, this year I accelerated in 3/4 methods and just completed the subject. I have picked up further as my fifth subject. How difficult will it be to pick up 3/4 further without having done units 1 and 2?

Thanks!  ;D

It is definitely possible to pick up Further Maths without doing 1/2 General Maths, but there is some content in General Maths that is basically repeated in Further Maths, so there would be some students (who did General Maths) who would be relatively comfortable with the content already when they enter Further Maths. So I'd highly recommend you to study the Further Maths content over the break to familiarise yourself.
2017 ATAR: 99.20

AlannahBottino

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2614 on: November 30, 2020, 08:01:40 am »
Thank you everyone for your advice :)

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #2615 on: January 09, 2021, 06:32:51 pm »
Hi! I was wondering what exactly I need to know in this study design dot point:
population and sample, random numbers and their use to draw simple random samples from a population or
randomly allocate subjects to groups, the difference between population parameters (e.g., µ and σ), sample
statistics (e.g., mean and standard deviation of sample)

Do I need to know how to calculate the standard deviation of a population? I don't really understand what to know and how that is applied into math questions
Also, do you recommend any external resources to buy for additional practice questions?
Thank you so much in advance!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 07:37:34 pm by homeworkisapotato »
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #2616 on: January 09, 2021, 09:24:08 pm »
+1
Hi! I was wondering what exactly I need to know in this study design dot point:
population and sample, random numbers and their use to draw simple random samples from a population or
randomly allocate subjects to groups, the difference between population parameters (e.g., µ and σ), sample
statistics (e.g., mean and standard deviation of sample)

Do I need to know how to calculate the standard deviation of a population? I don't really understand what to know and how that is applied into math questions
Also, do you recommend any external resources to buy for additional practice questions?
Thank you so much in advance!
Hi homeworkisapotato!

For this study design dot point, all I really knew how to do was collect a random sample (done on CAS, I only used it in my SAC tho), the difference between population parameters (sample is always used in further) and to calculate the mean and standard deviation you will always use your CAS!

Hope this helps :)
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

plato

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #2617 on: January 13, 2021, 10:04:23 pm »
+1
Some schools ask for the extended calculation process for standard deviation in their SAC, but you only use CAS for it in the exams. Forget about population parameters for this subject. It only uses sample means and sample standard deviations. The exams have never asked for the use of random numbers to select a sample.

amanaazim

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2618 on: January 21, 2021, 10:59:25 am »
hey guys so basically im struggling in the question where its like how to find the median from the histogram like its not always that the middle of the histogram is the median and im having a hard time to figure it out  by looking at the graph.

also for box plots how do i know how much of the data is there eg: if they give a boxplot of a sample of 48 children earning pocket money . how do i know in percentage how many children earned like more than $20 because there is no numbers on the boxplot to indicate that.

Jinju-san

• Trailblazer
  • ‘The harder the conflict, the greater the triumph'
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #2619 on: February 03, 2021, 06:23:21 pm »
+1
hey guys so basically im struggling in the question where its like how to find the median from the histogram like its not always that the middle of the histogram is the median and im having a hard time to figure it out  by looking at the graph.

also for box plots how do i know how much of the data is there eg: if they give a boxplot of a sample of 48 children earning pocket money . how do i know in percentage how many children earned like more than $20 because there is no numbers on the boxplot to indicate that.

Hi amanaazim!

So for the question where you are trying to determine the median of a histogram, you normally add up all of the frequencies for each bar to find the total number of data values. You then need to calculate which value would be the median value. For instance, if you have 100 data values, your median would be the average of the 50th and 51st values (add them and divide by 2). If you had 99 values, add 1 to this number (now 100) and divide by 2 (so your median is the 50th value). From here, you would look at the histogram and find the interval that contains the median (’n'th) value.

For the second question, I think the number of data values your boxplot would be showing is 48 (since you’ve mentioned that the sample number of children was 48). There should be a scale below the boxplot that allows you to determine where the median, 1st quartile and 3rd quartile are. If you can identify the value of the 3rd quartile (eg: $30), than you can conclude that 25% of the 48 children (12 children) would earn 30 or more dollars in pocket money…

Do you have a photo of the questions by any chance?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 06:39:32 pm by Jinju-san »

bigye

• Adventurer
confused
« Reply #2620 on: February 14, 2021, 02:40:15 pm »
does anyone have any advice on how to answer questions confidently? like i know the content and most of the formulas but when it comes to getting a question with a scenario and coming up with ways to get an answer, i just cant. also i need help with this question. the answer is B but idk why.

fish58

• Adventurer
« Reply #2621 on: February 16, 2021, 03:20:11 pm »
+3
Hi
It can’t be D or E because the amount paid off the loan at the beginning of the loan must be zero
It can’t be A because that graph indicates a flat rate of the original loan payment or the same dollar amount per year
B and C are the opposite of each other. It must be B because the amount paid off the principal actually increases from one year to the next which is indicated by the increasing vertical distance from one year to the next in each of the five years

Hopefully that helps 👍

fish58

• Adventurer
« Reply #2622 on: February 16, 2021, 03:56:41 pm »
+1
Hi again,

With a reducing balance loan which is also a principal and interest loan there are two components which are the amount of interest you have to pay and the amount you are actually reducing the loan by. The interest rate remains the same in most questions. The interest amount is based on the total amount owing. As you make payments and the balance of the loan reduces, the interest component of your payment reduces and the amount that you are reducing the loan by increases.

somethingeevee

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2623 on: March 14, 2021, 09:15:25 pm »
are postcodes considered to be nominal or ordinal data?

plato

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #2624 on: April 08, 2021, 10:47:54 am »

Ordinal, they all have a specific order such as 3000,3001,3002 and so on.

No. Postcodes are nominal, not ordinal. The area with postcode 3025 may be nowhere near postcode 3024 and certainly does not rank higher or lower than postcode 3024. The postcode is short method of naming a region. For example 3047 is an abbreviated way of describing Broadmeadows, and maybe some surrounding area.