Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:34:05 pm

Author Topic: NEWS/ Media Thread  (Read 4227 times)  Share 

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
NEWS/ Media Thread
« on: October 17, 2019, 09:06:52 pm »
So this is gonna be the thread where I basically rant on about stuff I find in the media and share my personal opinion on the issue/topic. So yeah stay tuned. 

Also if you've read anything interesting in the news/media recently, feel free to share/talk/discuss about it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 06:50:38 pm by Ionic Doc »
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: NEWS/ Media Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 06:40:11 pm »
+1
Hey Ionic Doc! Been reading any interesting news lately?

I'd love your thoughts on this article: Two Chinese people being treated for pneumonic plague as authorities clamp down on online panic. An antivaxxer story?😂Too soon, too soon.

Also, have you been following the Hong Kong protests?

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
Re: NEWS/ Media Thread
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 06:47:33 pm »
+1
Hey Ionic Doc! Been reading any interesting news lately?

I'd love your thoughts on this article: Two Chinese people being treated for pneumonic plague as authorities clamp down on online panic. An antivaxxer story?😂Too soon, too soon.

Also, have you been following the Hong Kong protests?

Hey Laura!
Thanks for reminding me about this thread, been busy with exams lately but now that they're over I got ample of time.
Yes, I have been reading some interesting new lately, specifically more on the Muslim detention camps operating in China. However, I'll share my thoughts on that tomorrow.

Regarding the article you posted, wow.
Scary to think that the plague is still around but it definitely is, most people believe that it's gone but really it's not. Most plague cases have been in the bubonic form but this one is the pneumonic form. I guess this means that more people are going to come into contact with the plague, not very easy to contain something such as this, and the rats/fleas that inflicted the plague on these individuals are most likely still out there.
Luckily they can treat the plague with antibiotics but I guess the downside is that there's only a short time frame before symptoms become fatal.

I feel sorry for Chinese citizens though, some of them must be really scared and anxious about this, and China holding back information from them would only worsen their mood. The plague can definitely spread fast quickly so of course, it's normal human nature to fear something so deadly such as this. I wonder why Chinese authorities are trying to block information about this though? If more citizens are alert and aware that the plague is going around than they might be able to take extra precautions and watch out for any signs/symptoms present. . .

Anyway let's just hope they contain this, China's a big place and if they can't contain it then everyone's at risk!

Oh and the Hong Kong Protests, no I haven't really been following that, I don't even really know what it's about . .
Have you been following it? What's it about?
I've yet to watch this Vox video on Hong Kong Protest's, hopefully, it can catch me up to date on what's going on

« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 06:49:10 pm by Ionic Doc »
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University