Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:02:35 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1232034 times)

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #3420 on: February 06, 2018, 11:04:28 pm »
Hey, I'm kind of in desperate need of help with Mod C. My text is Shakespeare's King Henry IV Part 1 for people and politics and I was wondering what related text I should use?
Hey, Flora Zhao!
One that I highly recommend is Niccolo Machiavelli's The Prince. The reason why this is such a good text is because some of the characters entail Machiavellian characteristics, and so a study of Machiavelli's treatise will allow you to further extend the idea of Machiavellian characterisation from Shakespeare's text.

For English Advanced Module C (People and Politics with The Crucible), is Dead Poet's Society an effective related text? Our question is on political perspectives and personal interests. I was thinking about doing the politics of tradition, what other types could I discuss?
Hey, Ellielh!
I haven't read the text, but as long as you can draw out comparisons of political power and other political movements with The Crucible, I think that should be okay. :) Let me know how you find it, though!

rh1A

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3421 on: February 08, 2018, 05:21:18 am »
Is this a metaphor?
"nature was brewing on a large scale"

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #3422 on: February 08, 2018, 07:11:39 am »
Is this a metaphor?

Hey, rh1A!

A metaphor compares two dissimilar objects in order to bring them to light. I don't believe nature is being compared to anything, so I can't say it's a metaphor.  :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3423 on: February 08, 2018, 05:43:42 pm »
Is this a metaphor?

I would say it's a better example of personification? Definitely figurative language, broadly speaking ;D

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #3424 on: February 10, 2018, 10:58:35 am »
Hello

I'm just super super super stuck on creative writing at the moment and I've read possibly all the guides there are on the internet on creating an actual idea. But I don't even have any idea on where to start with ;-; Everyone tells me to write about something I know but I don't know what it is that I know (that is story worthy). The story prompts I've mostly come across, I have not been able to relate to, except for some of Elyse's being: Asian pie (so maybe something about my mum asianising every food she comes across? And me taking it to school for multicultural day idk??) , bitter is better than sweet (maybe have someone really cynical telling a bitter truth but idk what the truth would be  .-.) , a relationship with a mirror (being self conscious? but idk how I would write a story about this without sounding shallow/cliche/teenage angst) and a zoo caging emotions because they are the real beasts that need to be contained (this sounds pretty cool but I don't even know what events would require someone to control their emotions). I have written a creative before and I posted it on the marking section but no one's marked it ;-; so I'm trying to think of a new one. Could someone help please?

Thank you

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #3425 on: February 10, 2018, 11:50:44 am »
+1
Hello

I'm just super super super stuck on creative writing at the moment and I've read possibly all the guides there are on the internet on creating an actual idea. But I don't even have any idea on where to start with ;-; Everyone tells me to write about something I know but I don't know what it is that I know (that is story worthy). The story prompts I've mostly come across, I have not been able to relate to, except for some of Elyse's being: Asian pie (so maybe something about my mum asianising every food she comes across? And me taking it to school for multicultural day idk??) , bitter is better than sweet (maybe have someone really cynical telling a bitter truth but idk what the truth would be  .-.) , a relationship with a mirror (being self conscious? but idk how I would write a story about this without sounding shallow/cliche/teenage angst) and a zoo caging emotions because they are the real beasts that need to be contained (this sounds pretty cool but I don't even know what events would require someone to control their emotions). I have written a creative before and I posted it on the marking section but no one's marked it ;-; so I'm trying to think of a new one. Could someone help please?

Thank you

Looks like you have a few starting points here, maybe try writing them and see where it takes you. You could also make a mind map or simular with random thoughts that inspire you or read some other people's stories. As Stephen King said, "if you want to be a better writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot." I reckon this advice will help you not only write better but also help with idea generation.
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

Ellielh

• Trailblazer
  • i always have too many tabs open
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #3426 on: February 10, 2018, 12:52:58 pm »
Does anyone have any notes on any of the following:
- The Crucible
- Dead Poets Society
- V for Vendetta (preferably the comic/novel)

Mod C is killing me slowly  :-\
HSC 2018: Chemistry | English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | SOR2

UNI 2019: Bachelor of Science @ ANU

theyam

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3427 on: February 10, 2018, 01:11:49 pm »

hello~

@Potatohater, thanks for the tips I'll try that soon.
Does anyone by any chance know if Robert Gray's "The Meatworks" is a first time discovery or a rediscovery (of something lost,forgotten or concealed)

Thanks

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #3428 on: February 10, 2018, 02:21:52 pm »
+2
hello~

@Potatohater, thanks for the tips I'll try that soon.
Does anyone by any chance know if Robert Gray's "The Meatworks" is a first time discovery or a rediscovery (of something lost,forgotten or concealed)

Thanks

Hi...
I think it is leaning more to the rediscovery side of things... It exposes the hidden ethical obscenities that were concealed by society's conscious ignorance...
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

theyam

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3429 on: February 10, 2018, 02:39:34 pm »
Hi...
I think it is leaning more to the rediscovery side of things... It exposes the hidden ethical obscenities that were concealed by society's conscious ignorance...

Hello

lol, your ellipses' I am currently panicking right now because I have an assessment task, and I'm going to just cry on the spot if the question asks something related to the following, because I have no idea how Meatworks relates to it:
-"creative discoveries"
- " a process of deliberate and careful planning evoked by curiosity, necessity and wonder" --> because I interpreted it as sudden and unexpected
- "the process of discovery can vary according to personal, cultural, historical and social contexts and values"
- "the ramifications of particular discoveries may differ for individuals and their worlds"
I'd be so so so so grateful if someone could help me link Meatworks to those rubric points because I've been sitting here all day trying to ;;

thank you

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #3430 on: February 10, 2018, 03:14:39 pm »
+2
Hi...
Not sure about creative discoveries or 'planning evoked by etc.' ,but the other two I know a bit about from my study notes...

- "the process of discovery can vary according to personal, cultural, historical and social contexts and values"

So here, I would emphasise the persona's personal context as a new worker to the abattoir.  The colloquialism in the persona's acknowledgement
“Too soon to sack me - / it was the first thing I’d done” validates this. A good thing to talk about is how they have not been desensitised to the brutality of the industry, as they have only worked in this job for a short period of time. This makes their experiences in the factory more authentic, with Gray utilising raw emotions to have a greater impact on the reader.

- "the ramifications of particular discoveries may differ for individuals and their worlds"

To get you started, think along the lines of how the unethical meat industry would impact its lower-class workers, as opposed to the upper-class consumers. Do you think that the consumers would really care about the brutal slaughtering of the animals, or just mindlessly continue to purchase the products regardless? I found that the quote “…working with meat was like/ burning-off the live bush/ and fertilizing with rottenness” was particularly helpful for this point.

Hope this solves some of your questions.  :D
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

theyam

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3431 on: February 11, 2018, 05:31:33 pm »
Hi kuac,

Thank you very much your explanations they helped me alot! I was just wondering, if on the day of an exam, you have 2 texts. One text matches with the question, but the other doesn't. What would you guys recommend to do?

From theyam

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #3432 on: February 11, 2018, 05:43:36 pm »
+2
Hi kuac,

Thank you very much your explanations they helped me alot! I was just wondering, if on the day of an exam, you have 2 texts. One text matches with the question, but the other doesn't. What would you guys recommend to do?

From theyam
Hello there!
I'm obviously not kauac but I do have a recommendation for this. My English teacher recommended that if your AOS related text doesn't align as well, you can use the stimulus provided in the paper 1 booklet- these texts would obviously contain elements of discovery since you have to write about them in the short answer section.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:45:11 pm by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

theyam

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3433 on: February 11, 2018, 05:47:28 pm »
Hello there!
I'm obviously not kuac but I do have a recommendation for this. My English teacher recommended that if your AOS related text doesn't align as well, you can use the stimulus provided in the paper 1 booklet- these texts would obviously contain elements of discovery since you have to write about them in the short answer section.

Hope this helps!

Hello

OMG thank you for your quick reply, my question was directed to everyone but reading again it looks like it wasnt XD. My assessment task is letting us go in with one poem from Robert Gray, and I've chosen Meatworks. On the day we'll be given an unseen text and our task is to synthesise on the spot. I'm really scared that the question they'll give wont match with Meatworks. I will be really sad, if the question asks about curiosity because my poem is more about discoveries about being sudden and unexpected. Do i just disagree with the question? Or just go text 1 shows curiosity but text 2 shows that curiosity is not always needed in the process?

Thank youuuu

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #3434 on: February 11, 2018, 06:07:47 pm »
+3
Hello

OMG thank you for your quick reply, my question was directed to everyone but reading again it looks like it wasnt XD. My assessment task is letting us go in with one poem from Robert Gray, and I've chosen Meatworks. On the day we'll be given an unseen text and our task is to synthesise on the spot. I'm really scared that the question they'll give wont match with Meatworks. I will be really sad, if the question asks about curiosity because my poem is more about discoveries about being sudden and unexpected. Do i just disagree with the question? Or just go text 1 shows curiosity but text 2 shows that curiosity is not always needed in the process?

Thank youuuu
Hmm if my English teacher were here, he would say to memorise all the poems since we're doing Yeats for Module B xD I find that inefficient, especially looking at how ridiculously long Robert Gray's poetry is just from skim reading his poems. Personally, I would get to know all of the poems so it can align with at least one rubric point- you can set out your notes in a table (e.g. columns on technique; quote; analysis; rubric).

Another thing you can do is to twist the rubric point and suit it to the question. Using your example on how Meatworks is more on being sudden and unexpected, you can talk about how discovery in the poem displays this idea that discovery, being provoked by curiosity, can result in unexpected discoveries.

Alternatively, you can sit on the fence. By this, you analyse the unseen text along with the given question but contrast this with Meatworks. To use your example again, you can talk about how the unseen text displaying discoveries emerging from unexpected circumstances and in your next point, talk about how Meatworks show a different aspect of discovery as the poem shows that discoveries can also emerge from curiosity. With this, you're showing a more sophisticated understanding of discovery and that discovery won't always be the same since the process is supposed to be unique!

However, you shouldn't be fully disagreeing with the question. To the marker, it shows that you want to regurgitate a prepared essay rather than engaging with the question. So yeah, sitting on the fence can also work.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 06:10:05 pm by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW