Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:44:42 pm

Author Topic: Anxiety management  (Read 3137 times)

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
Anxiety management
« on: March 15, 2021, 10:46:43 am »
Hey guys,
I get anxious and scared during exams :(
How do I stop this? I feel like it's starting to affect me to an extent.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
Re: Anxiety management
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 11:00:36 am »
Hey,

There are some different grounding techniques you could try (like breathing patterns; listing 5 things you can see, 4 things you can hear etc. If you search "grounding techniques" you'll find a lot) to pull you back from being overwhelmed; but if it's really impacting you a lot it might be worth talking to an organisation like headspace or a school counsellor for personalised support - you don't need to have a mental health disorder in order to be helped :)

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 11:10:58 am »
Hey Stormbreaker,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this.
Sometimes anxiety during exams and SACs can't really be stopped but there are definitely coping strategies that can help (as Bri mentioned).

Just wanted to add - something that helped me is to speak to my school about the anxiety I face around SACs and exams. Your school might be able to grant you special exam arrangements such as rest breaks. Additionally, they can give you strategies to cope with exam anxiety.

All the best :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 08:51:28 pm »
Hey Stormbreaker! :)

I'm sorry to hear this, these are my thoughts (I'm not a doctor or anything);

Before my HSC exams, I would always do a kind of "Reverse Psychology" to myself and tell myself that it wasn't a big deal (Even though it was a big deal), and kind of think about the big situation in a descalated way (But equal importance):

EG. I'll just sit at a desk and answer questions from the content done in class, I have learnt it all, so it's all good. It will be over in 3 hours, so if I just grind it out now and just think about smashing the exam and owning this moment, then I can do something really fun afterwards. (Something like that)

I found that decreasing/ changing the way I saw the big situation, helped me, and I completed my exams fine.

I also used to have a motto I would say to myself, "I CAN. I WILL. I MUST." Which I got from motivational videos on YouTube

I hope this helps and goodluck with everything
Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5