Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:51:34 am

Author Topic: Bound reference for Further Maths  (Read 2170 times)  Share 

AlannahBottino

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Bound reference for Further Maths
« on: December 03, 2020, 09:18:14 am »
Hi everyone,

I am about to start Year 12 Further and during Orientation Week, my teacher told me that notes have to be handwritten. I don't want to rewrite notes as I did that last year for methods and that just wasted so much time.

What's the best stuff to include in a bound reference and how do I organise it?

How do I set up my notes, is there a particular colour coding system that you use?

Chessnutter

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
Re: Bound reference for Further Maths
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 10:00:18 pm »
+1
They don't have to be, but I would STRONGLY recommend it.

I kept a few pages of notes on each chapter which contained the theory of the entire course along with a few tricky questions - I made this throughout the year. Don't use this as a bound reference. Make a bound reference no more than 2 A4 pages for each new sac based on the notes you made throughout the year. The act of looking through your notes and rewriting the content is extremely helpful study wise, and having a minimal number of pages will mean you will not waste time flicking through them. Definitely do not bring the textbook into the exam, you could waste a good 5m looking for a single formula.

In the bound reference, I used a different colour for things I had a habit of getting incorrect, otherwise I didn't bother with a colour scheme.
Offering tutoring for Algorithmics, Methods, Further and Software Development. Message me

Bachelor of Computer Science Advanced (Honours) at Monash

ATAR: 98.95
2019:
Software Development (45)
2020:
Algorithmics (40)
Methods (42)
Further (50)
English (42)
Data Analytics (36)

AlannahBottino

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 08:38:07 am »
Thanks. Is it possible to professionally bind loose leaf paper at Officeworks?

Marylen

• Forum Regular
  • 'You can live with disappointment but not regret.'
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 01:33:14 pm »
+1
Hello!
For my bound reference, I had a document my teacher would give to me from one of his top students from the year before (40+ ss) so I was fortunate enough that I didn't have to make my own bound reference templates. For reference, it was like a grid and I would put the definition on one side and an example of a question or insert a relevant image (eg, bar chart, what they were used for...)
I binded some extra pages in the back to stick some questions if needed be after doing prac exams.

Some people will say that writing compared to typing up your bound is wiser but you do you. For my first sac, I wrote in an A4 book for my bound reference but it ended up getting really messy so I began to type my notes up for my second sac.

Yup, you can definitely get it binded at officeworks! I was lucky that the head of senior school had a binder in her office so she binded it for me.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 01:34:58 pm by Marylen »
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:
Psych: 40
Further Maths: 39

2021:
Methods, Accounting, English & Chemistry

Chessnutter

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 05:24:52 pm »
Thanks. Is it possible to professionally bind loose leaf paper at Officeworks?

Yes, but if you are going to make a new one for each SAC (which is what I recommend) it probably isn't worth the effort.
Offering tutoring for Algorithmics, Methods, Further and Software Development. Message me

Bachelor of Computer Science Advanced (Honours) at Monash

ATAR: 98.95
2019:
Software Development (45)
2020:
Algorithmics (40)
Methods (42)
Further (50)
English (42)
Data Analytics (36)

AlannahBottino

• Trailblazer