Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 12:04:00 pm

Author Topic: 2020 Biology Exam  (Read 36356 times)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
Re: 2020 Biology Exam
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2020, 09:13:56 pm »
What did you guys put for the multiple choice question on enzymes? It was on the first page. Something about Substrate A and B?? Was substrate B an irreversible competitor?

I said that substrate B was a competitive but reversible inhibitor as the end products in the tube with enzyme and Substate B were enzyme and Substrate B. If it was an irreversible inhibitor the end products would have included enzyme-receptor complexes.

Yeah sweet. For the multiple choice question, I think 5, where they put sodium hydrogen carbonate with some elodea, was the bubbles meant to be oxygen? And in short answer, did we have to mention secretory granules when explaining exocytosis?
I put oxygen as well, because the strong light source was increasing the rate of photosynthesis in the plant (and I assumed it was above the compensation point).

I did mention that the vesicles fused to become larger secretory granules before being released through exocytosis, but only because it was in the stem of the question!

was it histamine or adrenaline 😃
Adrenaline. ;D

WhatisaMeMe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2020, 09:14:57 pm »
was it histamine or adrenaline 😃
ye adrenaline my bad confused with another question
ATAR:Hopefully 95+

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2020, 09:16:53 pm »
Did anyone manage to come up with two good answers for why there may be no alleles in a population that code for enzymes that break down lactose? I said that in regions where dairy farming was not done, there was no selective advantage to the allele, but I couldn't think of a good second reason...

failingenglish

• Adventurer
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2020, 09:18:46 pm »
hey guys for the question involving signal transduction where it asked for what process z could be after the production of a protein, what did you say? I’ve heard so many different responses.

I wrote about enzymes breaking down viral particles due to an interferon signal transduction pathway. However i’m thinking that was probably wrong lmao

Isaac S

• Trailblazer
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2020, 09:21:10 pm »
Wait what was the question on adrenaline or histamine?

failingenglish

• Adventurer
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2020, 09:21:33 pm »
Did anyone manage to come up with two good answers for why there may be no alleles in a population that code for enzymes that break down lactose? I said that in regions where dairy farming was not done, there was no selective advantage to the allele, but I couldn't think of a good second reason...
omg i was so confused about this question, i said something about lack of gene flow in isolated population meaning that there was no interbreeding with european individuals who had the mutation. But i had no idea lol

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2020, 09:23:44 pm »
omg i was so confused about this question, i said something about lack of gene flow in isolated population meaning that there was no interbreeding with european individuals who had the mutation. But i had no idea lol
Me too! I gave that as my second answer but I saw someone else mention the founder's effect so I'm still not sure. No point stressing now I guess... and only a month and a half until results.

bamboozled

• Adventurer
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2020, 09:28:31 pm »
hey guys for the question involving signal transduction where it asked for what process z could be after the production of a protein, what did you say? I’ve heard so many different responses.

I wrote about enzymes breaking down viral particles due to an interferon signal transduction pathway. However i’m thinking that was probably wrong lmao

Now I feel stupid... I wrote exocytosis... The question wasn’t specific enough though, so who knows.

For the question where you list the 3 stages after that - was it talking about stages of signal transduction or protein synthesis??

ActivationEnergy

• Trailblazer
  • why methods exam why
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2020, 09:30:47 pm »
Now I feel stupid... I wrote exocytosis... The question wasn’t specific enough though, so who knows.

For the question where you list the 3 stages after that - was it talking about stages of signal transduction or protein synthesis??

Signal transduction!

ActivationEnergy

• Trailblazer
  • why methods exam why
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2020, 09:32:06 pm »

My bio teacher told me you could have a variety of answers because it asked to give an example and not a SPECIFIC example. Answers such as caspases cleaving proteins during apoptosis or proteins such as lactase breaking down lactose into glucose and galactose are just a few of the many possible answers!

Isaac S

• Trailblazer
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2020, 09:34:59 pm »
Where did everyone draw the denisovan line? I branched it off midway down the neanderthal line, and my explanation is that they both are similar in structure however denisovans have enough differences to be considered a seperate species?

WhatisaMeMe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2020, 09:51:09 pm »
Me too! I gave that as my second answer but I saw someone else mention the founder's effect so I'm still not sure. No point stressing now I guess... and only a month and a half until results.
i said lack of gene flow from european population to the other populations, and other one i said not enough time has allowed for mutation to happen, i could be wrong though
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 09:53:35 pm by WhatisaMeMe »
ATAR:Hopefully 95+

TEL2110

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2020, 11:08:13 pm »
yeah I talked about how there was no selection pressures and that individuals with the mutated allele decided to not reproduce, not sure if its entirely right haha

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2020, 10:06:36 am »
I said that European population did not have gene flow with the other populations so the mutated gene was not passed to offspring in those populations
I also said that the 'some' populations may not consume milk so the gene was not favoured or the mutated gene may be a selective disadvantage preventing those with the mutated gene from reproducing viable offspring before death

What did you all put for the function of tRNA and mRNA?
I did:
tRNA: during translation, binds anticodon to complementary codon and brings corresponding amino acid which joins the polypeptide chain
mRNA: carries genetic information coding for protein from the nucleus to the ribosome for translation
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 10:10:39 am by homeworkisapotato »
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

fwift52

• Adventurer
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2020, 01:23:35 pm »
Anyone got a suggested answers for the multi choice? or whole exam would be even better.