Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:26:59 pm

Author Topic: Thoughts on repeating year 12?  (Read 1507 times)  Share 

twelftholmes

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
Thoughts on repeating year 12?
« on: October 13, 2020, 05:25:01 pm »
I've asked a lot of people and for the most part they've told me I should move on, it's okay as it doesn't matter what my atar will be, I can get transfer university courses even though I won't get into the one I want.

This I completely understand. If I were... someone else and someone came up to me and said "I want to repeat year 12" I'd think they were crazy. However for me I honestly think it's the best option.

Do you personally know of anyone who has done it and their experience with it?
HSC 2020: English Advanced [71], Maths Adv [74]+ Ext [21], Physics [80], Ancient History [79], Business Studies [67]
ATAR: 68.50

round 2!!
HSC 2021: eng adv, math adv, physics, ancient history

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Thoughts on repeating year 12?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 05:28:03 pm »
+12
I've asked a lot of people and for the most part they've told me I should move on, it's okay as it doesn't matter what my atar will be, I can get transfer university courses even though I won't get into the one I want.

This I completely understand. If I were... someone else and someone came up to me and said "I want to repeat year 12" I'd think they were crazy. However for me I honestly think it's the best option.

For most cases, I think I would be in the "just move on" camp but there are definitely some people who have done another year to repeat some subjects to increase their ATAR.

I can't really say what would be the best option for you without knowing your situation.

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 08:17:19 pm »
+7
I think that for 99% of people, repeating year 12 would be a simple waste of time. That said, I think there are valid reasons to repeat for example if you completely messed up your subject selection and want to pivot, you need to really develop foundational skills which you didn't get the first time round, or want to do some further study without investing in TAFE or Uni.

Some people might also just not be ready to leave yet. However, I think repeating purely for a higher ATAR would be absolute folly. Again, depends on the specifics. I'd say talk to your school/careers advisors/trusted teacher and see what they have to say.
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

Unknown-111

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 09:16:32 pm »
+1

I personally think it is up to you to decide on that. Normally if you got a really low ATAR like 0-60 then doing it be more worth it as opposed to someone getting 80's. People say you can transfer courses with a high WAM and all that, but trust me it is not as easy to get that 75+ score as some people make it sound.