Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:24:13 pm

Poll

How is everyone finding online learning?

Enjoyable
1 (100%)
It's alright but rather be at school
0 (0%)
So - So
0 (0%)
Terrible
0 (0%)
I want to go back to school
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: May 17, 2020, 12:06:22 am

Author Topic: Marylen's VCE Journey  (Read 11426 times)

Marylen

• Forum Regular
  • 'You can live with disappointment but not regret.'
  • Respect: +46
Re: Marylen's VCE Journey
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2020, 11:49:57 pm »
+5
ALAS... THE END OF THE TERM IS NOW IN SIGHT!
Can someone assist me with adding images to posts? I'm unsure of how to do this...  :-[
Hey Everyone!  :)
I've neglected my journal updates for quite a long time no so I thought I might give everyone an update on how things are going.
My school hosted a remote assembly on WebEx. My ensemble teacher pieced together a clip of the band members playing 'Happy' on our instruments. Usually the band performance takes place in the middle of the assembly but instead, this hilarious clip played and surprised everyone. Some people dressed up in their cosplay outfits and played their horns! Of course, there was that one teacher who didn't know how to turn off their webcam so their nostrils and double chin was showing on the screen...

I had a barrage of sacs during these last few weeks. Although I had double sacs for psych and chem on the same day, I managed to complete everything to the best of my ability. I went ham before my psych sac and did as many papers as I could get my hands and listened to my own voice recordings so hopefully that went well  :-[
Chemistry is that one subject where my scores just fluctuate so I'm trying my hardest to maintain a consistent work ethic.
Spoiler
I'm sure that some people are going to be really disappointed in me with these results so please bear with me  :-[
Atomic theory SAC: 80%
Organic chem SAC : 91%
Unit 1 SAC 1: 72%
Since the end of the term is nearing, my methods teacher has decided to host a pizza party for us all to enjoy tomorrow. Random fact but she broke the news to us that she's now officially an Australian citizen!

I have my English SAC tomorrow for analysing argument. Fingers crossed I'll be able to nail it!

I'll be back with another update tomorrow :)
Mary
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:
Psych: 40
Further Maths: 39

2021:
Methods, Accounting, English & Chemistry

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2020, 08:45:48 am »
+3
Hey Mary!

To add images, you might want to have a look at this thread (see the reply from J41).

Congratulations on coming so close to the end of Unit 1! :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2020, 09:26:32 pm »
+5
Hey hey Mary!! ;D

I'm so happy to see another update to this journal! (I've been waiting for this)
I must say, that assembly sounds so good (and you had me hooked with the 'cosplay' costumes). Also, amazing job on Chem! You are doing great and I'm so proud of you for the effort you put in ;D. It's quite normal for scores to fluctuate here and there so don't worry ;).

That Methods Pizza Party sounds like something any student would dream to go to🥺🥺. (Please update us on how the pizza party went). I'm super late to this but I hope you did fine on your English SAC!

Keep up the beautiful work Mary and I look forward to another update soon ;D

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2020, 10:37:40 am »
+2
Hey Mary! Your journal has been a delight to read and I'm looking forward to reading more  ;D
Of course, there was that one teacher who didn't know how to turn off their webcam so their nostrils and double chin was showing on the screen...
AHAHAH there's always that one teacher...

I went ham before my psych sac and did as many papers as I could get my hands and listened to my own voice recordings so hopefully that went well  :-[
I could never listen to my own voice recordings so kudos to that..listening to your own voice recordings require another level of courage which I never have lol. I always quit halfway hahah
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Marylen

• Forum Regular
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2020, 10:55:41 am »
+4
Hello Everyone!
I made a commitment to post the other day but I didn't keep my promise because I was bombarded with SACS and tests and validation tasks I forgot to do so  :-[

Anyways, here's a brief rundown of how I'm going with my subjects so far:

FURTHER MATHS:
Okie so further maths is my FAVOURITE subject so far. It's just something I understand so quickly and quite frankly, I don't feel too stressed when revising for it compared to my other subjects:
Spoiler
Here are my SAC results so far:
DATA CORE SAC 1: A+ (95%)
DATA CORE SAC 2: 95-100%
Financial SAC: (This SAC got cancelled and will be pushed to the beginning of next term and this makes me SAD  :(

I don't know if I'll be able to get a 40+ but I'm still trying! My goal is to ace this financial SAC I've got coming up soon and try to get through at least 3 exam practice papers by the end of this week. I did a mock examination on a website and I got 100% on the multiple choice examination 1  8) so I guess things are going pretty Gucci atm in terms of further overall. (PS: I studied for the geo and measurement module during the summer break and my school decided to pull that off the study design so I guess that was a waste of my time :/)

PSYCHOLOGY:
Ahhh my beloved psychology. I love psychology but I always find that I need SOOOO much more work on structuring my answers and just revision overall. I've been hanging around the high eighties mark for my sacs so far and I'm hoping that I'll snag at east a 90% or above in my next SAC. The last SAC we had was our practical writeup and I tried my absolute best on that SAC but I just feel like I didn't do as well as I would've wanted. We've started to move onto REM sleep at my school so I guess in terms of the content, I find unit 4 so much easier to grasp compared to unit 3.

CHEMISTRY:
Ohhh chem. Can I just say, this subject is the most challenging out of what I've done so far in VCE. Despite being in the Advanced STEM class in year 10, I feel like chemistry is my nemesis? I got a pretty crummy score on my unit 1 examination at school (really my fault for lacking the understanding) so I guess I'll need to brush up on calculating moles and just writing reactions in general. We've started moving on to chapter 15 in the heinmann textbook so hopefully this chapter will go well because I covered a lot of acid and base theory back in year 10.

MATHS METHODS:
I lurve methods! Despite this, I feel like my unit 1 examination for methods didn't go as well as I had hoped :( I guess the only thing I can do now is to revise on transformations and continue studying and constantly revising graphs and equations here and there. In class we're doing the unit circle and it's not too bad at the moment!

ACCOUNTING:
So far it's been pretty cruisy in accounting so far. I got my SAC results back and I got an 82%! We've started moving on to physical stocktake and I find this subject is a nice break from all of my science and mathematics.

ENGLISH:
I've never been great at English overall so I hope I'll be able to do well for next year! I try to spend at least 30 minutes writing everyday (This does not happen all of the time!) or read the newspaper. So far we've been covering Night by Wiesel and we're going to compare it to a series of poems with similar themes to the book. Night has been the most poignant book I've read so far due to the description of the Nazi oppression of the Jewish people.

I guess that's all I have in mind for today!
- Mary  ;)
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:

2021:

Marylen

• Forum Regular
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2020, 10:57:22 am »
+2
Hey Mary! Your journal has been a delight to read and I'm looking forward to reading more  ;DAHAHAH there's always that one teacher...
I could never listen to my own voice recordings so kudos to that..listening to your own voice recordings require another level of courage which I never have lol. I always quit halfway hahah

I always feel slightly awkward listening to my voice but I've tried to pretend it's someone else talking hahahha. I hate the sound of my own voice!  :-X
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:

2021:

Marylen

• Forum Regular
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2020, 04:16:07 pm »
+7
Hello avid students!  :)
It's Mary back at it again with another journal update.

further
I'm feeling a bit stressed for the financial SAC my school will be hosting when classes reopen for SAC in 2 weeks time. I feel that after attempting a few practice SACS and questions, I've been able to wrap my head around the entire concept of loans, ammortisation tables, annuities, perpetuities... Only time will tell how I will go. I aiming for a 40+ for this subject but I just don't feel that I'm working hard enough to get that. I've done a few practice exams and I was quite happy with the score I attained on the 2015 paper 1! I just need to do some more to hopefully garner full marks for both papers 1 and 2.

psych
I love psych! It's just that it needs a lot more love because I am a very forgetful person. Lousing around now will just not cut it for this subject and my class has nearly started moving on to Mental Health so I don't have long before I'll start my practice exams. For psych, I have a sac on Sleep, consciousness and interventions to treat sleep disorders next week onsite.

chem
In class, my teacher has been hosting webex calls for acids and bases. So far, the content is going at a very fast pace but I feel that I am understanding it much better than when I started with unit 1 chemistry. I will have a SAC covering acids and bases and the solubility of water.

English
This year, my school decided to switch out the film 'The Long Walk to Freedom' for a series of poems to compare with Night by Wiesel due to the disruption caused by covid19. Analysing poems is a bit dry. I don't particularly like to study English and it's beginning to dawn on me that I probably won't get a very good study score for this subject next year :(

methods
I'm kind of stressed for my methods SAC on circular functions tomorrow! Graphing sine and cosine functions with transformations is a bit confusing but I think I've sort of got the hang of it! I've been neglecting methods for a bit because I've been preparing for my psych sac.

Accounting
I honestly have lost the plot for accounting. It's a very dry subject and I find it very boring. I might switch it up for a different subject (currently thinking biology) because the content bores me and I don't have of motivation for this subject. However I might just keep it for the sake of doing a filler subject because only 10% will count towards my atar so I guess there's really no point changing.

Outside of school, I did the librarian's trivia and after successfully solving the dingbat, I've won myself a canteen voucher! My bass teacher has also scheduled some webex calls for me during school hours for me to catch up on my bass lessons.

- Mary
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:

2021:

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2020, 04:47:34 pm »
+2
Hi Mary!

Good luck for all your upcoming SACs - I'm sure you'll smash them! Glad to hear you're finding psych interesting, that's always good to hear! :D With regards to Accounting, if you don't enjoy it and can't see yourself trying much for it next year I definitely recommend swapping out of it if you can do so - it's better to do a subject you enjoy than one you don't. You never know which subjects will be in your bottom 2 (anything can happen!) so swapping to bio or any other subject you want to do seems to be the better option. Definitely think it over though, and I'm sure you'll decide on a fruitful solution.

I don't particularly like to study English and it's beginning to dawn on me that I probably won't get a very good study score for this subject next year :(
I can definitely relate to this, but don't give up!!!! You have plenty of time to improve your writing skills, and there are always ways to make this subject enjoyable if you find it dry. Perhaps bringing up your concerns to your teacher or forming study groups might help?

Have a great week. :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 05:09:26 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2020, 07:31:55 pm »
SAC my school will be hosting when classes reopen for SAC in 2 weeks time.

Wait what do you mean? As in your school assumes school is starting again or your school is allowing you guys to go into school just to do the SAC?
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2020, 05:01:45 pm »
+2
Hey Mary! I hope your methods sac went great and all the best for future sacs  ;D

About swapping into Bio 3/4, I 100% recommend it. It's so so interesting and you gain such an appreciation for the world and how far we as humans have come not just in evolution but also technology. Also with English, I highly recommend a tutor, as it is in your top 4 and a good tutor can do wonders for your speed in improvement!

Looking forward to more updates  :)

Marylen

• Forum Regular
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2020, 11:30:52 am »
+4
I can definitely relate to this, but don't give up!!!! You have plenty of time to improve your writing skills, and there are always ways to make this subject enjoyable if you find it dry. Perhaps bringing up your concerns to your teacher or forming study groups might help?

Hey Whys! :D Thank you for giving me hope to do well! After reading this, I managed to gain serious motivation to just pull my socks up and give English my best shot because it has basically been one of my poorest subjects throughout my schooling.

Wait what do you mean? As in your school assumes school is starting again or your school is allowing you guys to go into school just to do the SAC?

Hey Coolgal!  ;) Yeah, I went to school yesterday to complete the SAC! We had to socially distance ourselves and sanitise and go straight back home after completing the SAC.

Hey Mary! I hope your methods sac went great and all the best for future sacs  ;D

About swapping into Bio 3/4, I 100% recommend it. It's so so interesting and you gain such an appreciation for the world and how far we as humans have come not just in evolution but also technology. Also with English, I highly recommend a tutor, as it is in your top 4 and a good tutor can do wonders for your speed in improvement!

Looking forward to more updates  :)

Hey! My methods SAC went pretty well. I got 90% on circular and trig functions! yay! Good news is, my further SAC results also got released and I'm super duper happy with how I went so I'm hoping I'll ace the financial one which is next week. After reading why's suggestion and yours regarding the accounting and biology switch up, I'm definitely considering it! If the blockings won't match at school, I might have to choose something else and I'm probably thinking health and human.

I'll post an update after my further period ends!!
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:

2021:

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2020, 11:41:17 am »

Hey! My methods SAC went pretty well. I got 90% on circular and trig functions! yay! Good news is, my further SAC results also got released and I'm super duper happy with how I went so I'm hoping I'll ace the financial one which is next week. After reading why's suggestion and yours regarding the accounting and biology switch up, I'm definitely considering it! If the blockings won't match at school, I might have to choose something else and I'm probably thinking health and human.

That's great about both your Methods and Further sac. HHD is a great subject too, although the 1/2 is pretty dry. However, 3/4 is absolutely worth it! All the best for your financial sac  ;D

Marylen

• Forum Regular
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2021, 01:01:41 pm »
+5
Hey all!
Apologies for the hiatus! I threw my password in the bin after the psychology exam because I was in such a negative state after the exam I avoided all VCE related sites for pretty much until results day ahahah.

Anyways, let's get onto the results:

Psych
Ohhh boy I thought I messed this one up. I walked out of the exam room (which was held in the science lab due to covid restrictions) feeling like crap and I remember my teacher asking me what was wrong and I told him that I didn't finish the 10 marker and skipped an MC question by accident. This pretty much bugged me for the entire rest of the day and I cried myself to sleep that night thinking that I was not going to get that 40+ goal I aspired to get at the beginning of the year. I really didn't want to disappoint my teacher and wanted to be his first 40+ student. I'm also happy I beat my brother who got a 38 in psych when he took it in 2011 ahahahah

I guess the vcaa examiners were lenient or were being nice but I somehow pulled a raw 40! It's not the most ground breaking result but I am still thrilled with it!

Further
Ohhhh boy I messed up exam 2 really badly. Everyone left the exam hall getting different answers and I remember feeling so conflicted after this exam. I got a raw 39 for this subject but I've told myself that it's okay! I will use further as a learning experience for this year.

SHOUTOUTS
I wanna deliver a few shoutouts to the ATARnotes familia so here it is:
Spoiler
Whys 🦁:
Whys, the MVP. Whys, you are my source of inspiration for thriving in psych this year. I couldn't have trekked the journey through the tropical land of psychology without you. Thank you for always having faith in me. Your support and assistance for me last year was unparalleled. Really, thank you.

Eloisegrace 👩🏻‍🦰👩🏻‍🏫:
Eloise, arguably the mathematics queen of the century! Eloise, thank you so much for assisting me with further and other doubts I had with maths and chem! You worked so hard this year and your wicked scores proved that! I admire you hard work ethic so much!

Ashmi👩🏻‍💻:
Ashmi! DR CAS! Thank you so much for dealing with my spontaneous FM questions throughout the year! Also, thank u so much for helping me fix the sliders on my CAS! You gave me so many valuable tips and tricks for further this year!

homeworkisapotato 🥔
Bio queen! Thanks for reading my journals and wishing me luck every step of the way! I needed lots of it and I'm pretty sure without it, I wouldn't have been able to do well on my sacs and exams!

Evolio ✨
Evolio, if you're reading this, I wanted to give a massive thanks to you. You helped me with my psych work and never brushed off a question, even the simplest one about adrenaline and noradrenaline I had way way back at the beginning of 2020.

lm 🐢
Hey hey lm! Thank you for clearing up the doubts I had for psych. Even when I asked you one simple question about the placebo effect, you responded with a literal essay explaining to me in depth with how it all worked. Patience is truly your virtue. Thank you! 

Good luck to the class of 2021!

- Mary
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 01:03:42 pm by Marylen »
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:

2021:

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2021, 01:13:57 pm »
+2
Congratulations!

A 40+ is a fantastic result and I'm happy for you that you were able to achieve your goal :)

39 is still great and puts you quite high in the cohort. Pretty incredible as well to think that this year you've done 1/3 of your subjects and will be able to use your insights from that in year 12. Best of luck!

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2021, 07:44:09 pm »
+2
Hey Mary!😄

WHOOP WHOOP congratulations for the amazing scores!! You have done such a terrific job considering it was your first 3/4s (especially though the pandemic too) and make sure to give yourself a pat on the back. I'm incredibly proud of what you have been able to accomplish this year and you can now use your learning experience to help improve in the future.

Good luck for this year and I hope to hear some more exciting journal updates in the future!!❤️️