Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:06:24 pm

Author Topic: A New Beginning - My University Journal  (Read 9799 times)

Caitlynk_22

• MOTM: DEC 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +238
Re: A New Beginning - My University Journal
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 11:16:31 pm »
+4
Congrats on your job offer, definitely sounds exciting! How are you planning to balance work and study? I feel like time management is such a hard thing in uni so I'm curious how you're getting it all done. Architecture sounds fun (apart from what you said about the paperwork and nitty gritty) which I didn't expect!

Well a lot of people just think architecture is about looking pretty and drawing, it partially is, but we have to look at sites and their regulations as well as having to understand what is actually possible and what isn't. There's a lot more involved than what people think. I have friends joking that it's a glorified arts degree (Coming from engineers) and it's quite annoying but can't do much.

I'm not sure how to balance work and study yet - just taking each day as it comes and doing what I can. Pretty much shoving 2 hrs of uni work in where I can. I've travelled down to the central coast twice now for some shifts which isn't too bad but takes 1 hr to get there and 1 hr back. The drive helps me clear my head but I deathly tired afterwards, sometimes getting home around 8 and not wanting to do any uni work which is fine.

I guess its all about learning how to juggle it. I took my first year to get used to uni and now I have to work as I don't get Centrelink *Shakes fist angrily at the Centrelink gods* especially with my money from my gap year disappearing quickly. I'm surprised it's lasted this long I'll be honest.

But anyway. Not much happening here. It's raining and such nice weather to sleep in to.

2018 - HSC - My HSC Journal 2018
2019 - Gap Year - Cert 3 @ TAFE My Gap Year Journal
2020 - 2022 B of Design (Architecture) @ UoN My University Journal

Caitlynk_22

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2021, 04:54:19 pm »
+5
Hello everyone,

It's been a while... as it always is at this point. I've been busy, to say the least, BUT results for Year 2 Sem 1 are officially out. I'll give you the low down on what's been happening with everything. First things first, living on campus. Is it bad I want to move off-campus now because I'm absolutely sick of my housemates as they're all first years, still wanting to get partying out of their system. I find myself drained of the social energy to do such a thing now that I'm somehow busier, maybe I could attribute that to my job and being halfway through my degree. They don't know how to clean either which is quite annoying. Now for my sem 1 subjects

Construction Technology 1 - 82

Yes, it has a 1 on the end, meaning I'm going to have to do the dreaded course again in much more detail but that is thankfully next years issue. Let's just say I did not like this course at all. This was the course that I said was close to Engineering studies, which made it quite easy plus it was a first-year course.

It mainly had assignments and the lectures were still all on zoom, so I essentially turned on the lecture (For our compulsory 80% attendance), camera off, muted, got back into bed and went back to sleep. And this is how it went for 12/13 weeks that I did the course. I'm quite happy with how I went considering how it was all online.

Communication in the Built Environment - 86

A HD! I didn't expect this one. 40% of our grade for this course was a group assignment which we astoundingly got 93/100. The highest mark I had even gotten for a written report. I was allocated as chairperson, so I had to keep everyone on top of everything and such. Extremely proud of everyone that I worked with cause we only met online and never face to face.

Studio 3 - 75

There were a total of three assignments for this course. THREE. One being worth 10%, fine, another being worth 40% then another worth 50%. Meaning you could entirely mess up the course on one of the big assignments. I didn't but barely scraped into the Distinction range. I was 0.4 marks above 75. You have no idea how relieved I was.

I wonder how many people failed this course due to the assignment weightings. I helped another person through the course by just working with them since he got a 38/100 on the second assignment, he literally wanted to drop out. But I was like you can do it! He passed as well. This course was HARD.

Overall my semester was good, stressful but good. I am officially halfway through my university degree which is shocking. Only three semesters to go then I'll be done. Then I can choose if I want to do Masters as well, I'm thinking of doing it part time so I can spread it out a bit.

I am also doing one of my electives at the moment during Winter Term. It's called AHIS2600, Women and Children in Ancient Greece and Rome. It is really interesting and I've got about a week until I've finished the course. Its an accelerated course so I've had to finish the course within three weeks which was slightly daunting but I think it'll be okay. I chose to do this elective during the holidays so I only had to worry about two courses next semester (30units) and could relax a bit before heading into final year. I honestly wish I could do more ancient history electives but I'm going to do a studio elective next year.

On the agenda next semester is:
History & Theory in the Built Environment 2 - Low key keen for this course so it should be good.
Studio 4 - The mid year entries from last year are going to join us again for this semester, they're going to come from an easy semester to a hard one. Rip them.

Goodluck everyone for the next semester and enjoy your holidays!

Caitlynk_22

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2021, 01:16:23 pm »
+5
This semester has been... hard. To say the least. With semester 1 being half online, and then semester 2 being completely online, my university experience has been a shambles. Don't get me wrong. I've still had a heap of fun but this year was definitely worse than the last.

I struggled with depression during semester 1 and ended up going home rather abruptly for one weekend then returned then left again for two weeks. Then covid came along and I went home for 2.5 months. I think going home really helped me though I did miss my friends but it wasn't like we could do anything anyway. Now I'm back in the sunny Newcastle and am actually doing really well and am being surprisingly social, I got another job, started going to the gym, and began to go out and do things. The one thing that has been a drag is uni. 13 endless weeks of online learning which you can hardly compare to face to face teaching. Online uni sucks.

Going into my final year of university is a bit daunting, I've got to make the decision of whether or not to continue studying at UoN, go to USYD or go overseas. I want to study conservation architecture, which my current uni doesn't do and only does Masters of Architecture. The only disadvantage with not doing a masters in architecture and doing one in Heritage conservation architecture is that I don't think it will count towards becoming registered. BUT will allow me to have options all over the world.

On another note for that winter course I did a couple of months ago I ended up getting an 86 so an HD which I was actually really shocked about. For one of the assignments I ended up making a 3D model of the Temple of Vesta, the lecturer was impressed with how I brought my main degree into the course. The model took a long ass time to make but it was really rewarding and turned out pretty cool.

I've finished History 2 for the semester and have only got Studio 4 to go. Hopefully everything goes well.

Caitlynk_22

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2022, 09:58:49 pm »
+5
And with 2021 ending, 2022 begins. My final year of my Bachelor degree. So daunting! It only feels like yesterday that I started this journey. I just thought I'd tell you about the results from last semester. I only did the two courses last semester, Studio 4 and History and Theory 2.

Studio 4 - High Distinction - 89

The dreaded studio 4 by being online and having a massive group project component. For the first assignment, we had to do a lot of digital fabrication, using Rhino which was fun to experiment with but took a lot of time, ended up getting 100% for this one. For our next assignment we had to make a brief ourselves, making guidelines and choosing a site for our intended purpose, this so happened to be part of a group thing but for the actual assignment we weren't marked together. Managed to secure an 86% which was amazing since the assignment was worth half our course mark. And then to top it off our final group project only worth 30% of our course mark ended up being 85%. This is the best mark I have gotten for a studio course ever and with graduation fast approaching it has boosted my GPA to a 6.4/7.

History & Theory 2 - Distinction - 77

Was a little bit of a drag not gonna lie. All the content was utter bullshit and they had a contribution mark. Like c'mon. 1. Its online. 2. We're in second year, if we arent attending at this point you are going to fail.

Courses I'm stuck with this semester are:
Studio 5
Performance and Sustainability
History & Theory 3.

Honestly though. BRING ON THIRD YEAR. Fingers crossed I can keep my GPA above 6 to graduate with Distinction but we shall see.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 10:01:17 pm by Caitlynk_22 »