Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:28:33 am

Author Topic: Q&A: Interstate subject differences  (Read 3510 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Q&A: Interstate subject differences
« on: July 18, 2019, 04:39:57 pm »
+11
Hey,

There can be great resources for topics between states such as practice questions or the perspectives of other students but it can be intimidating to tap into those or share your experiences if you aren't sure how well it matches other syllabuses/study designs. This thread is designed to empower you to access & share that knowledge, experience, and perspective by answering your questions about inter-state subject differences.

For example:

User 1: Hey, I'm looking for redox practice questions - which other syllabuses also have redox? - qld chemistry
User 2: Hey I'm from Victoria and we have that too! It's in Unit 3 of chem
User 3: It's also in HSC chem :)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 04:41:29 pm by Bri MT »

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: Q&A: Interstate subject differences
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 07:03:27 pm »
+1
Thanks so much for this thread! Super awesome idea!

In Year 10, I am studying WW2. Which subjects might I find notes for that under?

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 07:50:04 pm »
+4
In Year 10, I am studying WW2. Which subjects might I find notes for that under?
Hey there,

If you go to the HSC Modern History notes, you should find notes on WW2 under "Conflict in Europe" (plus North African campaign) or "Conflict in the Pacific."

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 07:55:45 pm »
+4
Great idea, Bri!

What Maths subjects are at a similar or equivalent level to VCE Maths Methods?
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 09:56:21 pm »
+6
Great idea, Bri!

What Maths subjects are at a similar or equivalent level to VCE Maths Methods?

Dude, I got so shocked when I saw a 15 minute reading time on one of the past papers for methods! The course is pretty similar to the HSC Mathematics course with some extension 1 maths included as well, except more complex probability and statistics. However, this is changed as the new syllabus (starting next year in NSW) has some more of the complex stuff you guys have. Judging from the past papers, it seems your course is more conceptual with a little bit of different notation to ours! Now I might be wrong, as I am not too familiar with the VCE (still shocked by the 15 minutes reading time- we get 5 :-X)
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 05:22:45 pm »
I should probably know this already, but is HSC advanced and/or extension English more like VCE English (more focus on everyday English (e.g. might analyse a news article) as well as having set texts) or more like VCE Literature (more focus on deep analysis of a few texts through different lenses and motifs)?

I didn't study either of those Englishes at year 12 level so if someone has a better description definitely feel free to chip in

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 07:10:24 pm »
+2
I should probably know this already, but is HSC advanced and/or extension English more like VCE English (more focus on everyday English (e.g. might analyse a news article) as well as having set texts) or more like VCE Literature (more focus on deep analysis of a few texts through different lenses and motifs)?

I didn't study either of those Englishes at year 12 level so if someone has a better description definitely feel free to chip in

I think it's more like VCE literature, where we have set tests which have to be analysed at a much deeper level. For example, one of our modules is called 'critical study of literature's where we have to dive deep into one text, whether it be poems or a novel or so forth. There is rarely any focus on everyday English, however we still do some of it in the 'craft of writing' and common module. I'm pretty sure ext 1 English is the same, where analysis of texts is done at a much more deeper level.
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 02:59:04 pm »
Hi! I'm a VCE student, and was wondering:
1. What other syllabus is similar to unit 4 chemistry? (which includes organic chemistry and food chemistry). Looking to do more practice questions :)
2. Are there other subjects across Australia similar to VCE psychology?
3. Do any of you guys have a subject like food studies/food tech?
4. What sort of content do you guys cover in year 12 biology? I know in VCE we cover stuff like photosynthesis, cellular respiration, cell stuff, immunity, evolution and DNA stuff. I'm looking to expand my bio knowledge!
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 05:15:02 pm »
+3
1. What other syllabus is similar to unit 4 chemistry? (which includes organic chemistry and food chemistry). Looking to do more practice questions :)
4. What sort of content do you guys cover in year 12 biology? I know in VCE we cover stuff like photosynthesis, cellular respiration, cell stuff, immunity, evolution and DNA stuff. I'm looking to expand my bio knowledge!
Hey,
I only know two of these.

2. Psychology isn't in HSC, but it is in QCE and WACE. Don't know how similar the content is though but I linked to there syllabuses so you can check.

3. HSC has food technology which looks like it has some similar content.

Hope this helps!! :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 05:16:42 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 10:44:52 am »
+1
1. Organic chem is in HSC and QCE - the QCE sample exams recently came out & there are relevant questions to you in those
2. QCE psych has a fair amount of overlap. Some of the order of thing is swapped (eg. perception stuff is in unit 3 of QCE psych) and there's also content that's unique to each syllabus or where there's different focus. Eg. in VCE you learn more about factors of mental illness and less about wellbeing compared to QCE.
3. QCE has a "food and nutrition" course
4. In QCE they focus on ecology (unit 3) and evolution & DNA (unit 4). Unit 1 of QCE bio is similar to the old Unit 1 of VCE bio & Unit 2 of QCE is immunity-focused. QCE focuses more on the spread of disease than VCE does.