Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:12:57 pm

Author Topic: Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars Program  (Read 17782 times)

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
Re: Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars Program
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 07:59:00 pm »
+3
There aren't heaps of events,  but I found the student community to be quite valuable :)
I am also a kwonger and agree that the main perk is the community aspect of the program, although I do much prefer the community here at AN ;)

For my school 2 people were selected and if I remebr correctly my application mainly revolved around my work experience in year 10, community action in year 9, my job, and my running as an extra curricular activity.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2019, 04:40:34 pm »
I am also a kwonger and agree that the main perk is the community aspect of the program, although I do much prefer the community here at AN ;)

For my school 2 people were selected and if I remebr correctly my application mainly revolved around my work experience in year 10, community action in year 9, my job, and my running as an extra curricular activity.

What's the community feel like?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 08:45:35 pm »
+3
What's the community feel like?
Its really just a big group of fellow year 12s who are fairly academically motivated. I'd say that the community is fairly casual and not a whole lot of actual academic discussion.
Tthere are a few in-person meetups to mingle with people (I ain't a massive fan of mingling tho :-\) and there's like a massive facebook group chat and whatnot. However, there are just too many people for my liking and its hard to interact with a group as big as that and from what I've seen, people seem to just end up forming smaller friendship groups within it. I honestly haven't been that involved in the community as I prefer to spend my time here though.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 08:50:53 pm »
Its really just a big group of fellow year 12s who are fairly academically motivated. I'd say that the community is fairly casual and not a whole lot of actual academic discussion.
Tthere are a few in-person meetups to mingle with people (I ain't a massive fan of mingling tho :-\) and there's like a massive facebook group chat and whatnot. However, there are just too many people for my liking and its hard to interact with a group as big as that and from what I've seen, people seem to just end up forming smaller friendship groups within it. I honestly haven't been that involved in the community as I prefer to spend my time here though.
Do you reckon it's worth it?

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 08:56:08 pm »
+2
Depends.
I'm not finding it particularly useful, but plenty of people seem to really enjoy it.
It does give some good opportunities to hang around Melbourne uni and you get a library card that gives you access to their libraries (which is pretty cool if you live near). iirc there are also some selection privileges that come with it (I think some courses' required ATAR is lowered).
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2019, 09:14:33 pm »
+5
Just like Erutepa said, it really does depend on the person.

I really like it as you do get some privileges such as the libraries which is pretty cool. (there was even one about an allowance if you choose to study abroad). The program does offer VCE lectures and all of which are exclusive for KLD Scholars. They even had a thing on open day called the 'High achievers lounge' which you get to go in (was a weird experience). The KLD program is mainly to get bright students together and you make some quality friends out of it. I do prefer the AN community because the KLD cohort is massive and quite hard to be involved if you aren't the type to go up to random people.  ;D

vehura

• Trailblazer
  • she/her
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 09:25:17 am »
+1
I'm really annoyed at the moment because me and my homeroom teacher have been trying for two weeks to get a hold of the careers centre at my school to look over my application and send an endorsement for me but they haven't been responding or helping at all.  >:(

I have finished my application but I wanted someone from the careers team to read over it and see if I needed to make any improvements. Unfortunately tomorrow is the last day of school so that won't be happening until we get back to school. :(

Does anyone think sending in my application towards the end is going to affect my chances? I've seen some people say they were submitting their application in the first week.
class of 2021
2020: psych (50)
2021: eng (50) lit (47)

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 09:32:26 am »
Are there programs/scholarships etc like this kinda thing that for Year 11 and 12???
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2019, 03:02:27 pm »
I'm not too sure if this similar, but Melbourne as well as other universities offer extension programs for VCE students where you can study 2 uni subjects with your VCE.

I looked into the deakin uni extention and had my application all ready i just needed a teacher to reccomend me and i went and asked him and he told me that he would not reccomend me despite him and multiple other teachers agreeing that i would do well doing a uni subject because he wants to motivate me to do well in year 12 without a uni extention

HOW DOES IT MAKE SENSE YOU ASK??
that is a great question. i have no idea.
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2019, 07:20:00 pm »
I'm really annoyed at the moment because me and my homeroom teacher have been trying for two weeks to get a hold of the careers centre at my school to look over my application and send an endorsement for me but they haven't been responding or helping at all.  >:(

I have finished my application but I wanted someone from the careers team to read over it and see if I needed to make any improvements. Unfortunately tomorrow is the last day of school so that won't be happening until we get back to school. :(

Does anyone think sending in my application towards the end is going to affect my chances? I've seen some people say they were submitting their application in the first week.

I think it would have been good to kind of get it out of the way this term, but don’t stress if you can’t. Early doesn’t equate to “better”

CloutCriminal

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2020, 11:27:58 am »
Hii this thread is pretty dead but I have nowhere else to talk about KLD.
Just wanted to ask, is it ok to apply for KLD if you might change schools in year 11?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2020, 11:51:34 am »
+2
Just wanted to ask, is it ok to apply for KLD if you might change schools in year 11?

Hi,

Welcome to the forums!

I'm pretty sure that in my KLD cohort there were people who changed schools and the eligibility info doesn't say anything about needing to stay at the same school so you should be fine to apply. If you did want to confirm this you could contact the univerisity but I wouldn't recommend asking your school as they may not provide as strong a recommendation if they believe you'll leave & they'd just be getting the info from the uni anyway.

Good luck!

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2020, 12:31:55 pm »
+4

Hi!

I actually applied to KLD and was planning on changing schools in year 11! All you have to do is put the name of the school you plan to commence the following year in the application form and you should be good to go. ;D (I did end up changing and nothing really happened in all honesty.) It's just to make sure when you get a library card/updating details later they can use your new school information. If you do get in, they give you a certificate with your old school name and then they change everything to be your new school name afterwards.

Hope that helps!

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2020, 01:34:47 pm »
Hi!

I actually applied to KLD and was planning on changing schools in year 11! All you have to do is put the name of the school you plan to commence the following year in the application form and you should be good to go. ;D (I did end up changing and nothing really happened in all honesty.) It's just to make sure when you get a library card/updating details later they can use your new school information. If you do get in, they give you a certificate with your old school name and then they change everything to be your new school name afterwards.

Hope that helps!
Hi Ashmi!
Do you know if all schools in Victoria are eligible for the program?
Thanks a lot :)

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2020, 02:21:52 pm »
+3
Hi Ashmi!
Do you know if all schools in Victoria are eligible for the program?
Thanks a lot :)

Hi ^^^111^^^ ;D
All schools in Victoria are eligible for the program! Do note that some schools near the border of Victoria (SA and NSW) may be allowed to apply for KLD.
So long as your school that you put in the application is considered a Victorian School, you will be alright ;D