Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:19:06 am

Poll

Which University do you reckon?

Melbourne University
31 (56.4%)
Monash University (Clayton)
24 (43.6%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Deciding between Melb.Uni or Monash Uni for Commerce  (Read 7297 times)  Share 

saucyrapper

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Deciding between Melb.Uni or Monash Uni for Commerce
« on: November 11, 2015, 10:13:59 pm »
I've literally been tossing up between Monash Uni (Clayton) or Melbourne Uni for Commerce (accounting & finance) for a very long time now. Since I've finished all of my exams, I was hoping whether some of you can help me out or simply vote on which you think will be best for me.

Just to give an insight:
Monash is 10 min drive (car would be better utilised, instead of driving to the station, however prob buy by 2nd year)
More Sleep
Convenience of GYM (don't have to carry gym bag on the train)

Melb Uni
2 of my closet friends from High School are most likely going there (also doing commerce)
Prestige
1-1.5 hr distance by bus, train and tram
More employable****

-Plus, I checked the herald sun offer & the VTAC stats details and it revealed that basically 900-950 do commerce in melb uni vs 200-300 in monash - 

Adequace

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 7-1 never forget.
  • Respect: +12
Re: Deciding between Melb.Uni or Monash Uni for Commerce
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 11:13:02 pm »
I'd definitely choose Monash over unimelb due to the travel time disparity between the two.

Doubt going to unimelb would make you more employable, although I've seen some employers from Big Four companies preferring unimelb graduates - I have no evidence though.

Prestige isn't really a factor especially when comparing Monash and unimelb.

~V

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +14
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 01:00:27 am »
I've literally been tossing up between Monash Uni (Clayton) or Melbourne Uni for Commerce (accounting & finance) for a very long time now. Since I've finished all of my exams, I was hoping whether some of you can help me out or simply vote on which you think will be best for me.

Just to give an insight:
Monash is 10 min drive (car would be better utilised, instead of driving to the station, however prob buy by 2nd year)
More Sleep
Convenience of GYM (don't have to carry gym bag on the train)

Melb Uni
2 of my closet friends from High School are most likely going there (also doing commerce)
Prestige
1-1.5 hr distance by bus, train and tram
More employable****

-Plus, I checked the herald sun offer & the VTAC stats details and it revealed that basically 900-950 do commerce in melb uni vs 200-300 in monash - 

You can do Commerce (Accounting/Finance) at Monash as well rather than just straight Comm. So I'd choose Monash at the moment, simply because distance, travel is actually a factor you should seriously consider and about the friends thing, if they are truly your closest mates you'll still keep in contact no matter where you end up, a lot of people meet with friends outside of uni, but i guess it is not as convenient if you don't go to the same uni but a lot of people i know that are close, still catch up with each other. Have you been to either uni for open day? See which environment you like more. Also, if you get offered any scholarships by either universities, that is another factor to seriously consider when making your choice.
November 6th 2014 5.15pm
Class of 2014! :D

bobbyz0r

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 08:44:43 am »
Don't forget that Monash has the double degrees with Commerce - there is definitely more than 200-300 students doing Commerce. Just at orientation, it would have been minimum 800.

Also, I would recommend against choosing a course with fixed majors (eg. Accounting and Finance) as opposed to the open ones, as you might find you like other majors more interesting once you get to uni. Obviously, you can just transfer courses later down the track as well.

Not going into the Monash vs UoM prestige debate, but it gets quite irrelevant if you get good grades and have good extra curriculars/work experience.
2014- Economics at Monash

96n_n

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 12:39:45 am »
Considering your situation, I would probably choose Monash, however, my personal preference would be Melbourne. Location is a huge factor in choosing uni. If it's a 10 minute drive away, I wouldn't see why you wouldn't choose it. I travel 40 mins to and from my uni and I can honestly say that it is very draining. I can't imagine myself spending 1-1.5 hour travel.

You can improve your employability by getting high grades and having experience. University prestige is nothing with a bad grade. And as for your mates, choose a uni thats convenient and best for you - you can always occasionally catch up with them throughout the year.