Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:53:59 pm

Author Topic: Education at ACU Melbourne  (Read 8062 times)

walkec

Education at ACU Melbourne
« on: June 17, 2012, 08:24:04 pm »
Hey,
I'm beginning to look at universities and was interested in teaching. I understand that ACU has a great reputation for education degrees. I am considering a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Education at the Melbourne campus and was wondering if there was anyone out there who was completed or is currently studying this course at ACU at any campus?

If so, why did you choose ACU? What are the advantages of studying at a smaller university like ACU? How did you decide your major and minor sequence for the Arts degree?

Many thanks  :)

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
Re: Education at ACU Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 08:43:56 pm »
I don't know of anyone on the forums at ACU, but one of my friends is at ACU, not sure which campus, but basically she says that it's quite a small uni, so it's friendlier than the bigger ones such as Monash or Melbourne.

Regarding the quality of the course - it's probably not too different anywhere you go, especially with Education. Personally Education was my 2nd preference, so I did a bit of research, spoke to teachers...etc. and most of them basically said that career experience and your marks will probably matter more than which uni you went to. So if you're interested, Monash and Deakin are also great for teaching, as well as Melbourne, where you can do Arts and then do a graduate diploma in education.

About major and minor sequences - well it's a balance really, what do you enjoy, what do you want to teach later on, and what do you think will land you the jobs! Just toss up between those and you'll get what major and minor you're after! :)

walkec

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 08:58:29 pm »
I don't know of anyone on the forums at ACU, but one of my friends is at ACU, not sure which campus, but basically she says that it's quite a small uni, so it's friendlier than the bigger ones such as Monash or Melbourne.

Regarding the quality of the course - it's probably not too different anywhere you go, especially with Education. Personally Education was my 2nd preference, so I did a bit of research, spoke to teachers...etc. and most of them basically said that career experience and your marks will probably matter more than which uni you went to. So if you're interested, Monash and Deakin are also great for teaching, as well as Melbourne, where you can do Arts and then do a graduate diploma in education.

About major and minor sequences - well it's a balance really, what do you enjoy, what do you want to teach later on, and what do you think will land you the jobs! Just toss up between those and you'll get what major and minor you're after! :)

Hey paulsterio,
Thanks for the prompt reply! I'm also considering monash and deakin because of their good reputations and proximity for me compared to ACU. I'm planning to go to the monash, deakin and ACU open days, so it will probably give me a better indication. At the moment I'd say I'm leaning towards deakin because the primary degree allows you to teach up to year 10, so the flexibility is something that really appeals  :)

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 09:05:03 pm »
Yeah that sounds good, just head to the open days and take a look at the campus as well as the course...etc. Also, take a look at the respective websites, they'll have links for each of the courses, with detailed information, also the VTAC guide is an extremely useful resource which you can look at.

Yeah, I get what you mean, and Deakin has a good reputation for teaching as well, so they're defs worth a look, Monash also has an option of extending the primary education so you can teach years 7 - 10 as well :P

walkec

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 07:14:35 am »

Yeah, I get what you mean, and Deakin has a good reputation for teaching as well, so they're defs worth a look, Monash also has an option of extending the primary education so you can teach years 7 - 10 as well :P

Yeah, my careers adviser at school also pointed that out about monash :p but it's only at Berwick, peninsula or Gippsland, which are extremely far away for me! Hahaha.