Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:59:23 pm

Author Topic: General Makeup/Skincare Discussion Thread  (Read 84605 times)  Share 

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: General Makeup/Skincare Discussion Thread
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2019, 09:54:18 pm »
+2
Think it was a good idea to get the NYX palette instead of the Maybelline Lemonade Craze one- I've heard bad reviews about it lol.
Oh lmao, I remember seeing a review on it (I think it was Emily Noel's review) and she said that it was ok for a drug store (from what I could remember). And I think one of the reviews on the Priceline website said they were glad that the palette offered some shades that weren't your usual neutral shade so I did consider it for a while. Idk, maybe if I did proper research on it then maybe there would be some bad reviews but one of their shades was actually pigmented when I swatched it (of course, not as pigmented as an Australis shadow or the Nyx palette).

NYX is better quality for eyeshadow anyways. I've got the NYX ultimate shadow palette in the Bright edition (the colourful one). I'm a big fan of using yellow, orange and pink on my eyelids aha (my favourite eyeshadow look!)
Oooh could this be a potential tutorial? Sister Bea, we need an updated GRWM ;) (or at least a "what's in my makeup bag")
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 04:48:51 pm by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2019, 03:13:04 pm »
+2
Oh lmao, I remember seeing a review on it (I think it was Emily Noel's review) and she said that it was ok for a drug store (from what I could remember). And I think one of the reviews on the Priceline website said they were glad that the palette offered some shades that weren't your usual neutral shade so I did consider it for a while. Idk, maybe if I did proper research on it then maybe there would be some bad reviews but one of their shades was actually pigmented when I swatched it (of course, not as pigmented as an Australis shadow or the Nyx palette).

Maybelline's typically not known for their eyeshadows anyways. Like I have one Maybelline eyeshadow palette that I use and it's not super pigmented and takes a while to blend in. I only still have it because I'll feel bad if I just threw the entire palette out aha. If you wanted a palette with bright colours, would definitely recommend the NYX Brights palette. Rimmel has some decent ones as well!

Oooh could this be a potential tutorial? Sister Bea, we need an updated GRWM ;) (or at least a "what's in my makeup bag")

OOOhh Sister Olivia I've been wanting to do an updated tutorial because I look back on my old one and it's so bad omg (I didn't use foundation or bronzer like what the heck). I could do like a 'what's in my makeup collection' type video. I have so much makeup it's ridiculous. No wonder I'm broke ahahah

Could potentially help people and beginners here to find products that could potentially work with them! My friend is starting to get into makeup and he got the Morphe X James Charles palette (very jealous!) so this video can work with AN and my friend. We shall see ;)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2019, 11:23:32 am »
+3
I've noticed that I've been leaning more towards traditional bullet lipsticks instead of liquid lipsticks- liquid ones tend to dry my lips out and especially with Winter coming, I think I'm gonna take a break from them. Although Jeffree Star's lipstick still remain to be the BEST liquid lipstick formula because it's so light on the lips.

Going back to the topic of traditional bullet lipsticks- I got my hands on the Sunnies Face Fluffmatte lipsticks (Filipino makeup brand) and the lipsticks are quite nice! A little bit drying (they're matte so no surprises there) but good coverage. They're $10 each which is hella cheap for good quality lipsticks.

I was hoping if anyone could suggest some nice traditional bullet lipsticks- not too drying, satin finish lipstick would be nice. I've got some MAC lipsticks but they're expensive (got them as a gift) so I was hoping to hear any suggestions about good bullet lipsticks :)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2019, 01:41:02 pm »
+3
I've noticed that I've been leaning more towards traditional bullet lipsticks instead of liquid lipsticks- liquid ones tend to dry my lips out and especially with Winter coming, I think I'm gonna take a break from them. Although Jeffree Star's lipstick still remain to be the BEST liquid lipstick formula because it's so light on the lips.

Going back to the topic of traditional bullet lipsticks- I got my hands on the Sunnies Face Fluffmatte lipsticks (Filipino makeup brand) and the lipsticks are quite nice! A little bit drying (they're matte so no surprises there) but good coverage. They're $10 each which is hella cheap for good quality lipsticks.

I was hoping if anyone could suggest some nice traditional bullet lipsticks- not too drying, satin finish lipstick would be nice. I've got some MAC lipsticks but they're expensive (got them as a gift) so I was hoping to hear any suggestions about good bullet lipsticks :)
I'd recommend lipsticks from Flower Beauty. I have the Mix n Matte Lip Duo where it comes with a matte lipstick and a metallic gloss so it's great for both an everyday look or if I'm going out. The lipstick is very comfortable to wear and it doesn't really have a waxy smell to it. It's only $10 at Chemist Warehouse so it's quite affordable. I don't have the Petal Pout Lipsticks but I would assume the lipstick would have a similar formula (from the reviews I watched I've hear great reviews on these lipsticks). There are a lot more shades to choose from in comparison to the Mix n Matte shades and they do offer cream and matte lipsticks. And it's $10 as well so very affordable!

Apart from Flower Beauty, Maybelline, L'Oreal and Revlon do have great traditional lipsticks.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2019, 09:59:43 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm currently looking to expand my makeup brush collection and I've narrowed it down to either EcoTools or Nude by Nature. The brush kits I narrowed down are at the same price point, so I guess out of the two of them, which one would you guys recommend?

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2019, 11:10:12 pm »
+3
Hey guys,

I'm currently looking to expand my makeup brush collection and I've narrowed it down to either EcoTools or Nude by Nature. The brush kits I narrowed down are at the same price point, so I guess out of the two of them, which one would you guys recommend?

I use EcoTools, they feel nice and soft/good quality and don't shed much if at all and I've washed them plenty of times

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2019, 10:54:53 pm »
+2
Hey guys,

I use Nude by the Nature ones and they're pretty swell. Real Techniques is good as well. I've only got one brush from Eco Tools so can't really make a good judgement.

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2019, 12:47:08 pm »
does anyone know any light coverage foundation that wont cause like massive breakouts??
taking a break.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2019, 06:49:47 pm »
+3
does anyone know any light coverage foundation that wont cause like massive breakouts??

i've been using a natio foundation (https://www.priceline.com.au/brand/natio/natio-pure-mineral-foundation-50-ml). they don't have many shades but it is fairly lightweight and was fine on my skin.

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2019, 08:33:26 pm »
i've been using a natio foundation (https://www.priceline.com.au/brand/natio/natio-pure-mineral-foundation-50-ml). they don't have many shades but it is fairly lightweight and was fine on my skin.

thank you ill check it out <3
taking a break.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2019, 08:34:49 pm »
+5
It's been awhile since I've done a makeup haul so I guess it's time to do a mini review.

Flower Beauty Petal Pout Lipsticks
There was a 2 for 3 sale at Chemist Warehouse a few weeks ago so I used this as an opportunity to buy lipsticks. I bought the shades Naked Blush, Warm Sand and Crimson Crush. I was a bit worried that Crimson Crush would be a bit too bold because I haven't ventured in the red lip colours. Crimson Crush is more of a terracotta red than a bright red lip but it was kinda out of my comfort zone. But when I tried it on it actually looked nice and the colour is still wearable for everyday use. Naked Blush, on the other hand, is a pale, pinky nude colour and Warm Sand is a bit of a mix between the two colours. I feel like Flower Beauty lipsticks have been very consistent, in the sense that the lipsticks are more on the waxy side but not too waxy where you need to warm it up at the back of your hand, but not as smooth as a Maybelline lipstick. These lipsticks do transfer but the lipstick marks are very light. One thing I waill say is that I'd like a bit more nude shades in the collection since the rest of the shades are bold reds and purples (of course since Drew Barrymore has an iconic red lip).

Maybelline Made For All Lipstick
Another lipstick lol. When I saw Nyma Tang review these lipsticks, I got really excited because the shades are supposed to suit all skin tones. I bought the shade Mauve For Me (which wasn't one of the shades Nyma had). The lipstick is nowhere near transfer-proof (I probably need to reapply two or three times during the day) but it is a really pretty colour and it's very smooth, not as waxy as the Petal Pout lipsticks.

Maybelline Fit Me Concealer
I've been saying for months that I need a concealer but I never did lmao. It also doesn't help that I got a chemical burn after swatching a Revlon concealer on the back of my hand. It wasn't until when my friend recommended me the Fit Me concealer since I didn't want a full coverage concealer but still has enough coverage to cover up my acne scars. The thing that's great about the Fit Me concealer is that the small doe foot applicator lets me use it for acne scars specifically. I bought the shade Fair (which surprised me because I didn't think my skin was that light) and it does blend nicely and looks natural. I did hear from some reviews that it does crease, and that's because it doesn't set straight away so you need to set it with some form of powder.

Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder
Speaking of concealer, I also bought the powder in the shade Sandstorm (another recommendation from my friend). I was a bit worried about setting a concealer with a pressed powder instead of a loose setting powder but my concealer doesn't crease during the day. The thing that kinda confuses me about the powder is that sometimes I see small flecks of glitter on my face after applying the powder (and it's not highlighter lol). I also wish that the packaging was more travel-friendly, like in a compact packaging with the mirror and everything in case if I'm running late and don't have time to put on concealer in the morning lol (plus it makes it easier for me to use other makeup products like lipstick on the go).

Elf Flawless Face Brush
I was kinda sad that I wasn't gonna be able to get my hands on the Nude By Nature brush set before the sale at Chemist Warehouse ends. However, I've been applying my powder initially with my beauty sponge but then I started using one of my eyeshadow brushes but it wasn't really comfortable applying powder with a small brush so I bought the Elf Flawless Face Brush. I like how weighted the brush is and the overall appearance of the brush looks nice. I also like how it's fluffy enough for me to apply my powder but it also has a flatter side where I can apply my highlighter. I was a bit confused with the difference between the brushes with the white packaging and the ones with the black packaging since the price is different.

Elf Baked Highlighter and Blush
I bought this in the hopes that I could get a blush and the highlighter was there as a bonus. The blush looked a bit glittery but I was hoping that if I scrape the top layer it would be matte underneath since a lot of Elf face products require you to scrape the top off to get the product. But nope, it was a highlighter lmao. I wasn't sure what to do with this but I somehow managed to make it work. I thought I'd like the champagne highlighter more but I actually like the pink highlighter more. My face gets naturally flushed during the day so the pink highlighter would go with my cheeks. The highlighter can be blinding but I would blend it out with my Elf brush (that has a bit of pressed powder) to make sure it's not too blinding, which makes it look more like a natural glow.

Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Lipstick
After months I finally bought the Rimmel liquid lip lol. And yes, I bought another lipstick. I keep saying that I should buy it but whenever I walk into Priceline or Chemist Warehouse I get distracted with other products lmao. I bought the shade Be My Baby, which is kinda like in between a pink and browny nude (lol idk how to describe shades). I did a bit of a wear test and I'm very impressed with it. It didn't transfer on my mug, it didn't crumble after eating oily fried rice and still managed to survive after some aggressive toast eating. And the colour does look quite natural. What was also surprising is that it wasn't drying and it's very light on the lips.

So that's my makeup update (rip my bank account lmao).

On another note, anyone excited for the Revolution Beauty launch in Priceline?

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2019, 06:50:23 pm »
+5
Time for a quick makeup haul (as inspired by Olivia- thanks girl!)

Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation
Never really thought about this foundation 'til Jeffree Star reviewed it on his channel and I loved it! I put the foundation on as soon as I got home and so far it's great. It's kinda hydrating but kinda drying at the same time (perhaps it was the setting powder and my old concealer that's drying my face I think). I got Shade 54 and I'm not 100% sure if its my colour or not. Looks fine in some lights but it looks a bit light in other lights. The foundation itself is a buildable medium coverage and has a nice natural finish. I just wanted to take a break from my other Matte foundation which has been drying me out this Winter! The foundation is also meant to have Vitamin C, Vitamin B5 and Vitamin E which will help with skin regeneration and brightening up my face- I hope this is true.

Sally Hansen Diamond Base and Top Coat
I trust Sally Hansen to have a good base coat so am praying that this doesn't chip away my nail polish colour easily!

Marc Jacobs Le Marc Lip Creme Lipstick
Not exactly a haul since I didn't buy this recently. I found a free sample in my makeup bag from ages ago and I'm surprised it hasn't expired or melted or anything (yes I'm looking at you Jaclyn Hill Cosmetics). It's quite moisturising! Would love to buy another one but it's deadly expensive. Plus I have so many lipsticks. I need to stop buying lipsticks ahhh.

Jeffree Star Cosmetics Jawbreaker Eyeshadow Palette
I was very excited when I first saw Jeffree release the shades on his Instagram and couldn't wait for it to come. Although I was somewhat a bit disappointed when the shades weren't as pigmented as he hyped them up to be. Not sure if it's my makeup brushes, amateur skills or I happen to have a palette from a shitty batch. Either way- the colours are wonderful. Though they are technically summer shades and Jeffree did technically release them during Summer in the US and Winter here in Australia. Though I'm not afraid to have a pop of colour on my eyelids during this cold cold season.

Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask
This lip mask have saved my dried lips this Winter. I got the Berry one and it smells so so nice! The lip mask feels like a heavier version of a lip balm- makes sense since you do have to wear it before going to bed. Though I feel like I'm building a tolerance for it because it's not as effective as before.

Fluff Casual Cosmetics: Bronzing Duet
For the past month, I have seen ads of the brand 'Fluff Casual Cosmetics' on my Instagram feed and I literally told myself not to buy it. But the packaging looked so fancy and the ads were so unique so I went on their website and next think you know the bronzing duet has been added onto my cart and is now being shipped to me as we speak. The Bronzing duet is basically a combination of their Bronzing powder and Kabuki brush (was cheaper to get both and get free shipping than to buy the powder alone and pay for shipping). Anyways its meant to look super natural and you only need moisturiser and you're all set to put the bronzer on top. Can't wait for it to come!

I really wanted to try out Em Cosmetics (owned by Michelle Phan aka Youtube's OG Beauty Guru) but the shipping is twice the actual product itself which is RIDICULOUS. For now, I shall steer away from Em Cosmetics until they get cheap shipping to Australia.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2019, 07:12:50 pm »
+1
I found a free sample in my makeup bag from ages ago and I'm surprised it hasn't expired or melted or anything (yes I'm looking at you Jaclyn Hill Cosmetics). It's quite moisturising! Would love to buy another one but it's deadly expensive. Plus I have so many lipsticks. I need to stop buying lipsticks ahhh.
Oof the shade!

And same with the lipstick problem. Lipstick hoarders unit!

Jeffree Star Cosmetics Jawbreaker Eyeshadow Palette
Although I was somewhat a bit disappointed when the shades weren't as pigmented as he hyped them up to be. Not sure if it's my makeup brushes, amateur skills or I happen to have a palette from a shitty batch. Though I'm not afraid to have a pop of colour on my eyelids during this cold cold season.
That's a shame that the shades weren't that pigmented- the arm swatches looked pretty and I would assume Jeffree's product would have the best quality. Was it the whole palette or was it a few shades that didn't work out?

Though I'm not afraid to have a pop of colour on my eyelids during this cold cold season.
Still waiting for an updated GRWM- perhaps a winter makeup tutorial?

And speaking of hauls, Priceline is doing a 1/2 price sale so guess who's going to retail therapy this week?

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2019, 09:57:12 pm »
+2
And same with the lipstick problem. Lipstick hoarders unit!

I kinda need to remind myself that I barely use lipsticks ahha (especially in this season) to stop myself from buying lipsticks.

That's a shame that the shades weren't that pigmented- the arm swatches looked pretty and I would assume Jeffree's product would have the best quality. Was it the whole palette or was it a few shades that didn't work out?

I genuinely can't tell if I just have bad makeup brushes or a bad batch. Like they're pigmented but not super pigmented like in Jeffree's swatch video and Instagram posts. I haven't actually played with the entire palette but the ones I've tried aren't super pigmented. The ones I found super pigmented were Jawbreaker, Delicious and Licorice.

Still waiting for an updated GRWM- perhaps a winter makeup tutorial?

;)

And speaking of hauls, Priceline is doing a 1/2 price sale so guess who's going to retail therapy this week?

Aha already went earlier this morning but only got the Bourjois foundation, Maybelline fit me concealer and the Sally Hansen base coat because I need to stop spending all my money on makeup aha. Can't wait to hear about your Priceline haul Sister Olivia !!

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2019, 06:24:16 am »
Has anyone used the Mario Badescu face sprays? What did you guys think? I have the setting spray and really love it, but I was wondering if it would be worth investing in either of the others?