Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:25:21 pm

Author Topic: Guide to how Study Scores and ATARs are calculated!  (Read 74590 times)  Share 

nerdmmb

Re: Guide to how Study Scores and ATARs are calculated!
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2014, 03:58:06 pm »
ATAR is a percentile score. A 90 ATAR means you performed higher than 90% of other students.

See why an ATAR of 100 does not work well?

Fair enough :)

NP97

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Melbourne High School
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2014, 04:11:11 pm »
I am at a school which does really well in VCE but am doing quite averagely in my SAC's. Usually, our grades get scaled up a grade or so by VCAA. If I get a high A to low A+ on my exam, and my internal scores are around B, what kind of scores am I looking at in that range?

fareseru

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
  • Respect: +43
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2014, 11:44:46 pm »
I am at a school which does really well in VCE but am doing quite averagely in my SAC's. Usually, our grades get scaled up a grade or so by VCAA. If I get a high A to low A+ on my exam, and my internal scores are around B, what kind of scores am I looking at in that range?

I have a fairly similar question - after reading through various stuff for hours, I'm still a little confused :s Basically, if a student does reasonably well throughout the year in English (let's say 80/100, ranked 15th) but receives the highest mark for the exam (30/30), how is their SAC score moderated (as they were deemed an excellent student by the examiners)? Or is the system ultimately promoting doing well throughout the year and doing well on the exam instead of actually using the year to work hard and improve in order to do well on the exam?

Shyam995

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Can quantum mechanics solve why PKMN go in balls?
  • School: Buckley Park College
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2014, 05:21:59 pm »
Does that mean if you get an ATAR of 65, your aggregate is better than 65% of the state? If so, how come 65 is around the average? I've never quite understood why it's not 50 ???

Just taking an educated answer to your question, remember that the AVERAGE AGGREGATE and the 50 AGGREGATE are two different things.

Remember that the average of a certain set of numbers is simply the addition of all of those numbers divided by how many there are.

Assume a "miniature victoria" home to 10 students who just got their atars. There atars were  30, 40, 50, 60, 65, 70, 80, 90, 95 ,99.95

When you average out these numbers, the AVERAGE ATAR AGGREGATE comes out to 68.

This is due to the fact that the amount of higher atars counteracts (to a certain extent) the amount of lower atars, to a point where the atar exceeds fairly above 50.

remember that the 50 AGGREGATE is where your smack bang in the middle. The average is a totallly different thing.

I think thats a good explanantion....

Anyways hope this helps!
2014 - English - Mathematical Methods (CAS) - Business Management - Chemistry - Physics

DESIRED ATAR: 87.3

DESIRED COURSE FOR 2015: Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) [RMIT] - Clearly in Rank: 87.3

Kindergarten

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2015, 05:21:00 pm »
So if I was in the second quartile for my sacs does that mean I'm effectively screwed as far as SS goes regardless of my exam mark?
2015: Software Development | Business Management
2016: English language | Informatics | Global Politics| Economics | Legal

Zahra.rajabi44

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2017, 05:15:45 pm »
So if i get a sac result around 60/62% is it possible for me to aim around 35 study score?

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2017, 05:43:39 pm »
+1
So if i get a sac result around 60/62% is it possible for me to aim around 35 study score?

It depends on where in the cohort you sit, how rank 1 does in the exam, how much the SAC was worth, what subject it was for... Quite an involved process to figure it out. Most likely, it's still very possible, just keep doing your best.

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2017, 04:46:52 pm »
Hey - just a quick question.

My coordinator has been a coordinator at the school for over 20 years. Today he told me [because I was stressing about my rank] that if you get above 35 as a SS in any subject, then ranking will not affect you. [ or I think if it was above 40 in your exam]

Is this true?? [not that I don't trust him  :P]

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2017, 05:59:21 pm »
Hey - just a quick question.

My coordinator has been a coordinator at the school for over 20 years. Today he told me [because I was stressing about my rank] that if you get above 35 as a SS in any subject, then ranking will not affect you. [ or I think if it was above 40 in your exam]

Is this true?? [not that I don't trust him  :P]

I'm not really following what your coordinator is suggesting here; could you clarify? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2017, 06:20:34 pm »
Okay, so say if you are rank 5 for a subject and you manage to get a 40 in your exam- it will not scale down in relation to your SAC marks- and basically your rank in your SAC's will not affect it. So even if the people ranked higher than you still get bad in exams, you will still get a 40.

So, lets say you are rank 5, and all ranks above you get bad, it will not affect you [i.e their horrible exam marks] you will still get that 40- even if your GA 1 was b+, GA2 was an A and your exam mark was an A+. I don;t know how to explain this really.

But in basic English, he told me not to worry out my ranking because if I got an a+ [say for example a 42 in a subject] I will still end up getting a 42 as my SS for that subject- it will not change depending on how the others above me in ranking performed?