Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:15:22 am

Author Topic: Monash biomed/post-grad med  (Read 1397 times)  Share 

awesome2015

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Monash biomed/post-grad med
« on: January 19, 2019, 01:35:38 pm »
Hi guys!
Looking for people who did Monash biomedicine and then did post-graduate medicine (at Monash/Melbourne or any other interstate uni). I have a couple of main questions:
1. What electives did you do in each year and why did you choose this order?
2. What preparation did you do for GAMSAT and how did you balance the two?
3. Is the Monash biomed scholars program of any additional benefit?

Considering direct entry to Monash med (top 50 in biomed, without GAMSAT) is very competitive, it would be good to keep the GAMSAT pathway open too.
Quick responses would be appreciated as electives need to be chosen soon but also any general advice.
Thanks!

TheAspiringDoc

Re: Monash biomed/post-grad med
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 05:22:44 pm »
+1
Sorry I know it's not quite your question but I'd personally recommend physio/pharmacy/science over biomed.

More info here: REMOVED

If you change your mind about biomed, still accept your first round offer, but maybe rearrange your second round preferences to keep other options option that might be a bit more of a career if you're not into research.

Mod edit: removed link to competing forum as it's still against the rules. -- Calebark
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 01:14:43 am by Calebark »

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Monash biomed/post-grad med
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 05:54:03 pm »
+2
Hi guys!
Looking for people who did Monash biomedicine and then did post-graduate medicine (at Monash/Melbourne or any other interstate uni). I have a couple of main questions:
1. What electives did you do in each year and why did you choose this order?
2. What preparation did you do for GAMSAT and how did you balance the two?
3. Is the Monash biomed scholars program of any additional benefit?

Considering direct entry to Monash med (top 50 in biomed, without GAMSAT) is very competitive, it would be good to keep the GAMSAT pathway open too.
Quick responses would be appreciated as electives need to be chosen soon but also any general advice.
Thanks!
I have an international friend that did Biomed and wound up studying postgrad med interstate.

Here's some things I know from talking to them over their course:
1. They chose stuff mostly based on interest. I know they fulfilled a French minor but couldn't put that on their testamur because Biomed doesn't have majors/ minors.
2. I know they mostly prepared on the weekends and did most of their regular Biomed study during the week. I remember them talking about doing practise papers (I don't recall what company) and revising basic physics, biology and chemistry.
3. From recollection, there's a scholarship on offer there and a couple of extra programs, mostly for careers. I'd double check this information though.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread