Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:17:58 am

Author Topic: Zerrow's journey  (Read 905 times)

Zerrow

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Zerrow's journey
« on: July 04, 2018, 08:34:59 pm »
+5
So, here I am on this website. After looking through countless websites after realising that I’m going to have to face reality and choose vce subjects, I found this site a month ago. I still don’t know how the system works, but somehow my Asian mom has convinced me to do the Asian five except replacing physics with Korean second language. I honestly don’t know if I’ll make it. Apparently, the SACs are graded against the school cohort, which means that I’m completely screwed because all of the smart kids in my school (Melbourne high-I fluked the test), and I literally have a semester to go before the beginning of year 11. I’m hoping for a bio 3&4 next year without unit one but I feel like because my grades weren’t good enough they won’t let me. Melbourne high’s so dumb. How can they not allow us to do vce subjects in year 10? I’ve got friends from my old school ahead of me now. I’ve just completed year 10 maths and that’s basically it. My English scores are going downhill this year, I just feel trapped.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Zerrow's journey
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 07:49:22 am »
+1
Hey!

Welcome to atarnotes :)

Your study scores are mostly determined by your exam performance,  the rest of it is from a combination of your rank & cohort strength. Being a low rank at MHS is very likely to equate to higher marks than low ranking at a different school.  It seems like you've done some reading on this so I won't elaborate further but feel free to ask questions if you're unsure.

It can be easy for people to lose sight of the fact that their cohort doesn't represent the rear of the state - just because you feel that you're below average at MHS doesn't mean that you'll score below average in the state. 

VCE can feel all-consuming & I imagine that that feeling is heightened in such a competitive cohort,  but I promise that progress is always possible even when things feel stagnant. I can also guarantee that in a few years this will all be over anyway, regardless of your actions.  Both this circumstance and those feelings WILL come to an end.

In the mean time,  we'll look forward to reading your journal

Good luck with everything

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Zerrow's journey
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 09:31:45 am »
+1
Hey Zerrow! So good to have you here. :)

As miniturtle has mentioned above, there's definitely no need to worry about being at MHS - the moderation system means it all evens out in the end, and you won't be "punished" for attending a high-achieving school. If you're interested, you can read more about how VCE works here, and some of the technical stuff about scores etc. here.

Looking forward to your next posts and seeing you around the forums. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.