Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:34:31 pm

Author Topic: Essay for discovery  (Read 930 times)

Ibrahim_28

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Essay for discovery
« on: October 16, 2018, 10:51:28 pm »
hey guys,

Can you please check over this intro for the question below, and tell me any points of improvement.

To what extent do the texts you have studied reveal both the emotional and intellectual responses provoked by the experience of discovering?

It is to a significant extent the texts that I have studied reveal both the emotional responses provoked through the experience of discovering. However, it is to no extent that an intellectual response is provoked. This is evident within Shakespeare’s 17th century play The Tempest and William Ernest Henley’s 19th century poem Invictus. It is through the characterisation of Prospero and his epiphany of virtue rather than vengeance an emotional response is provoked. Similarly, with the discovery of Ferdinand, Miranda reveals an emotional response. Finally, it is through the discovery of ‘tuberculosis’ the speaker, in ‘Invictus’, an emotional response is revealed. Ultimately, it is through the experience of discovery, these characters reveal an emotional response.

Bruh01

• Adventurer
Re: Essay for discovery
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 11:11:47 pm »
Hey bro, not smart enough to give you actual feedback, but one thing is that you should NEVER use first person in essays unless its a close study where your opinion matters.

Blissisignorance

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 11:19:22 pm »
You can't say that an intellectual response is provoked to no extent, you may to some, but not no extent.
If you have no choice other than saying to no extent, then I'm not sure, but provide evidence also as to why intellectual responses were not being provoked in your texts.

Ibrahim_28

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 01:09:47 am »
Thanks for your replies,

I cannot find evidence of intellectual discoveries thats why I said to no extent and I will not use first person (how about conclusion can i use first person?)

caitlin.micallef

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 09:47:01 am »
Discovery

Hi, I did 4 bodies for my essay in the trials but it didn't work so my tutor suggested:

1) prescribed
2) related
3) prescribed

It's not a 50/50 ratio so i'm not sure if that's the way to go but he's marked HSC responses and reminded me its not so much an essay as it is an extended response since it's only 15 marks. On the other hand, some people said they got marked down (internally) for doing his structure but I probably feel more comfortable doing that than integrated paragraphs.

Is that structure okay or should I consider something else.

Thanks  :D

Ibrahim_28

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 11:10:15 am »
Thanks for the advice,

Can you please explain to me what an integrated paragraph is.

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 11:38:38 am »
Thanks for the advice,

Can you please explain to me what an integrated paragraph is.
Integrated means you have a concept and use examples from both texts in the one paragraph. So the structure could be:
Topic sentence
Technique/example from prescribed
T/E related
T/E prescribed
T/E related
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle