Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:39:45 pm

Author Topic: Acronyms/Abbreviations for exam  (Read 2913 times)  Share 

Elayg6

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Acronyms/Abbreviations for exam
« on: October 11, 2018, 08:08:30 pm »
Are we allowed to use acronyms/abbreviations for the exam to save time (e.g Aggregate Demand = AD, Economic = Eco)?

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
Re: Acronyms/Abbreviations for exam
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 08:19:31 pm »
+1
Are we allowed to use acronyms/abbreviations for the exam to save time (e.g Aggregate Demand = AD, Economic = Eco)?

They are allowed but you must define them. You must define them for every single question's response,

e.g. Aggregate Demand (AD) is affected by consumers. This is because consumers purchase goods and services which stimulate AD.

e.g.2 AD is awesome => This cannot be done if it is a new question, you need to redefine what AD stands for.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

Elayg6

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 04:56:32 pm »
So does that also mean for the AD equation we have to say: Private Consumption Spending for (C) and Government spending for (G1, G2)?

DoctorTwo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 12:52:28 pm »
They are allowed but you must define them. You must define them for every single question's response,

e.g. Aggregate Demand (AD) is affected by consumers. This is because consumers purchase goods and services which stimulate AD.

e.g.2 AD is awesome => This cannot be done if it is a new question, you need to redefine what AD stands for.
Are you sure we have to do it for every single response? My teachers always told me that you have to define it with the abbreviation once, then you can do it for the rest of the exam. It seems like a huge waste of time doing it for each response.

LachyTate

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 07:27:38 pm »
does this mean we need to extrapolate on the acronym of the RBA each time?

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 10:18:39 pm »
I wouldn't think so. The RBA is literally their name in all my textbooks...
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Elayg6

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 01:01:44 pm »
Also, can we say like (X) in brackets when referring to ‘Exports’ or do we have to write the entire word out?

DoctorTwo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 09:39:28 pm »
+1
Also, can we say like (X) in brackets when referring to ‘Exports’ or do we have to write the entire word out?
I'd personally write the entire word out unless you were specifically talking about the AD formula. If the question is asking about terms of trade, for example, I'd say the entire word and not the shortened version. In a question where you had to explain AD, I might use the word exports with the abbreviation the first time, then use the abbreviation for the rest of only that response, and not for other responses.

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 08:11:17 am »
You don't need to do it for RBA as everyone knows that RBA = Reserve Bank of Australia.
But you will have to do it for say Aggregate Demand (AD), etc.

Are you sure we have to do it for every single response? My teachers always told me that you have to define it with the abbreviation once, then you can do it for the rest of the exam. It seems like a huge waste of time doing it for each response.
You will have to do it for every response. I agree it is a waste of time, but the few economics assessors I knew past and present all stated that you had to define and abbreviate for each response. But if you feel like not doing it that is on you.

I agree with DoctorTwo's response on this, you should just write Exports instead of abbreviating it.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.