Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:40:03 pm

Author Topic: How hard is it to get into Biomedicine, and how hard is the course?  (Read 2216 times)  Share 

marcc.malakk

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
So I am a year 10 student who is currently thinking about going in the medical field. My end goal is to become a general practitioner and I know in order to complete the GP fellowship you need a Doctor of Medicine. Direct entry into Doctor of Medicine from high school is very hard though so I am thinking of taking the commonly taken biomedical science route; 3 years biomed, 4 years med, then onto the fellowship. Does anyone know how hard it is to get into this course in terms of competition and also how difficult this course is? I am pretty young at this point so main things I am thinking about is if I am going to have time to go out with friends, go to parties, play a sport, go on holidays overseas etc. in the same way that I do have time for doing these things during year 10. I have attached an outline of how my next 14 years are looking too.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 07:17:47 pm by marcc.malakk »

Just another student

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Not telling
  • School Grad Year: 2019
Re: How hard is it to get into Biomedicine, and how hard is the course?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 06:22:16 pm »
+1
I have heard biomed to med is extremely competitive. The ATAR requirements to get into biomed is not extraordinarily high, but from what I heard the competition is fierce to get into the Doctor of Medicine course due to the sheer number of students doing biomed but so few spots. Essentially you could think of biomed like year 12, where you are competing against everyone else and should aim high. Someone else feel free to correct me but that's just my two cents.

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
Re: How hard is it to get into Biomedicine, and how hard is the course?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 11:39:25 am »
I dare say getting those 50 (+25 for the whole university) spots for postgraduate medicine at Monash university via the Biomed route is harder than getting into an undergrad course somewhere in Australia. From what i've heard, the competition is fierce and you are up against a much more stronger cohort than that of the applicants to undergraduate medicine.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash