Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:55:38 pm

Author Topic: falling asleep during past papers?!!  (Read 1177 times)

bun00

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
falling asleep during past papers?!!
« on: October 13, 2017, 04:44:16 pm »
ARGHH!
i can't stop myself nodding off in past papers as i'm not used to a big block of study with no break as i've been doing the 50 study 10 break strategy....has anyone got any tips on staying alert during past papers while i don't hav the adrenaline that i hav in an exam? :o
TVM!!

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
Re: falling asleep during past papers?!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 05:22:02 pm »
+1
I am searching for this answer too argh!! Whilst I’m not falling asleep, finding the motivation to get through the three hours has been difficult
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

ilovemycat

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 08:16:52 pm »
+7
Hey - I feel you on a spiritual level right now. Here are some ways I try to get on top of my tiredness
Using the Pomodoro technique
This is 25 minutes study, five minutes break - 4 times! You should set yourself a SPECIFIC task, like complete q 1-8 of X past paper within 25 minutes. Keep the amount of work you give yourself challenging, but reasonable. After 25 minutes, you are free to have a quick 5 minute break to check your phone, have a drink or snack.

Fooooooooooooodd
Speaking of snacks, I am a huge fan of the internal work-for-a-reward system. I basically say to myself "If I complete one reading of my histroy extension or write a paragraph of english, then I can have some chocolate :) Its great! Oh and also make sure you do have enough energy throughout the day, this will 100% make it so so so much easier to concentrate, trust me. (That means no skipping brekkie ;))

get enough sleep
pls. pls do this. not even gonna say any more because im sure you already know why this helps

setting goals
This is probably the most useful for me in terms of strengthening my motivation and mentality. I have a sticky note with the words (95, NEUROSCIENCE) written in thick, black sharpie to help remind me why the heck im even doign this in the first place. If you have a goal (be it a career goal, ATAR goal etc) write it down, use it as your lockscreen/desktop, recite it 5 times before waking up! Honestly, do whatever it takes to remind you of this goal. I know that it gets hard, and Im going through it right now, but we've gotta undertsnad that its only 1 year of blood, sweat and tears and then, itll all be over and you can burn those hsc notes of your if you want to ::) 

I hope my ramblings helped a little bit :) Good luck with staying awake my friend!  :) ;D :D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:19:36 pm by ilovemycat »

bundahboy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 09:56:20 pm »
+1
I personally find that my motivation starts to flag when I try to do too many past papers in too short a space of time. Spacing them out a bit more tends to stimulate my focus as the task becomes less repetitious. I also reckon exercise is a really good way of re-jigging your focus, even if you only do it for 15 minutes or so before a study sesh
2017 HSC: English Advanced // English Extension 1 // English Extension 2 // Mathematics Extension 1 // Mathematics Extension 2 // Physics // Chemistry // Economics

LAT 2016: 100th percentile // UMAT 2017: 99th percentile