Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:07:53 am

Author Topic: Performance poetry- Feedback please  (Read 1682 times)  Share 

HeadChef

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Performance poetry- Feedback please
« on: August 14, 2018, 08:47:48 pm »
+2
Hi,
So I'm the only one at my school doing EE2 and the kids from the other schools in my area all dropped it. I know this is kind of last minute but does anyone have any suggestions about improving performance poetry? It hasnt been done at my school in the past and because I live in the country theres not really much of a 'literary community'
That said, if anyone knows anything about performance poetry I'd be happy to give you my 'mixtape'.
Cheers

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Performance poetry- Feedback please
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 12:23:53 pm »
+5
Hi,
So I'm the only one at my school doing EE2 and the kids from the other schools in my area all dropped it. I know this is kind of last minute but does anyone have any suggestions about improving performance poetry? It hasnt been done at my school in the past and because I live in the country theres not really much of a 'literary community'
That said, if anyone knows anything about performance poetry I'd be happy to give you my 'mixtape'.
Cheers

Hey, HeadChef!

Welcome to the wonderful literary community that is ATARNOTES  ;D ;D I'm doing poetry for my Major Work so I guess I'm the closest thing to help you can get unless someone else on the forum might know a thing or two  :D From my general understanding of Performance Poetry, it is almost like a speech and extended poem amalgamated into one entity. The function of the performance should be to isolate the difference between a written and a spoken interpretation of poetry. A written submission of poetry would have its limitations in how much you can convey to your audience (they become very much in control of how the Major Work is interpreted). A performance poem allows you to be in control of your own delivery and almost hand most of the hard work to the audience (all they have to do is listen). This is perhaps the most liberating part about the form and it's great to see you tap into wanting to improve the performance aspect  ;D

The best way to tackle any performance as I have found from past experience in public speaking and singing is to rehearse. Marking where you want certain changes in your tone, volume or articulation can make a difference in how your performance is presented. In rehearsing your poem, you may find yourself discovering a word you think has more significance than you intended, or a particular phrase that really resonates with your conceptual investigation. Your interpretation and delivery of your own work is so crucial to the audience because it is in your responsibility to entertain and convince them to view your ideas similarly. When you record it, you should aim to almost visualise all the cues in your head.  8)

Speaking of cues, consider the role of hand gestures, facial expressions, posture and eye contact. These should also be marked so you can create an intimate atmosphere with your audience. Performers should aim to bridge the distance between them and their audience and these physical elements of your performance could be scrutinised from rehearsing in front of a mirror or recording the performance in segments and rewatching them.

Improvement also comes from critical discernment of your work, personally and from taking on board feedback from people you trust. Showing your family, friends or teachers who have interest in your Major Work can enable you to have fresh eyes, or ears in this case, on your performance. It would give you a greater idea of what your audience thinks of the poem and where you could improve the fluidity or communication of your words.

If you can provide an outline of your concept and maybe one or two lines from your poem, I could offer some suggestions on how you could flesh out a strong delivery from those areas specifically. These are just some general suggestions on where you could consider venturing with the recording but I'm happy to give specific feedback  ;D

A brilliant TED Talk I watched on performance poetry months ago changed my whole understanding of the form and I have attached a link to it below. I would certainly recommend you watch it if you haven't seen it because I think her experiences will spark something in you  ;D

https://www.ted.com/talks/sarah_kay_if_i_should_have_a_daughter/transcript?language=en

Hope this helps!  ;D

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 12:26:30 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

HeadChef

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 07:23:36 pm »
+2
Hey thanks so much for replying!
I've had quite a bit of experience with poetry recitation (speech and drama is kinda a big thing here, mostly bush ballads and narrative poetry) but I guess the big issue I'm having is the difference between regular poetry and performance poetry? I guess I've always placed emphasis on the auditory aspect of poetry anyway so the difference between the two forms is kinda blurry to me I guess...
The fact that its purely a sound medium for performance poetry doesnt help either.
Anyway, my work is four allegorical poems about how extreme politics are at the moment and how everyone is disillusioned with the political system (eg I have two people going cane toading to show how brutal the far right is)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 08:57:49 pm »
+8
Hey thanks so much for replying!
I've had quite a bit of experience with poetry recitation (speech and drama is kinda a big thing here, mostly bush ballads and narrative poetry) but I guess the big issue I'm having is the difference between regular poetry and performance poetry? I guess I've always placed emphasis on the auditory aspect of poetry anyway so the difference between the two forms is kinda blurry to me I guess...
The fact that its purely a sound medium for performance poetry doesnt help either.
Anyway, my work is four allegorical poems about how extreme politics are at the moment and how everyone is disillusioned with the political system (eg I have two people going cane toading to show how brutal the far right is)

Hey, HeadChef!

I love the concept  ;D If you're doing People and Politics for Module C, that would be an excellent link to add in your Reflection Statement if you haven't already  :D

I had no idea that it was solely a sound medium  :o That poses some trouble for my advice on the physical performance then so no need to worry about that aspect  ::) In that case, my suggestion would be to continue rehearsing your performance. Hear your performance over and over until you can say "that's exactly how I intended it to sound" and you have delivered the impact you wish to communicate  :)

With four poems, it would be interesting to see you vary your register/range for each one. Perhaps you start with the upper register of your voice for one, and lower on the following one. Do you shout certain parts and are some sections so soft that it is intended to generate shivers? As a drama enthusiast, you would know how important dynamics can be  ;D The tone of your voice is your most powerful instrument in this medium. Disillusionment is such a strong idea and your manipulation with voice is crucial to articulating that.

The difference, as I have outlined, lies in the function of the performance. There is so much you can do with the delivery of your poetry that makes it more than just a bunch of words about some idea you conjured up. I think that is the limitation with written poetry. I found it quite exciting reading my poetry aloud just as a recitation for my Extension 2 teacher so I would imagine that a performance would be even more artistically thrilling! For the time you are allocated, you are in total command of the marker and have the freedom to capture them. Performance is more dramatic and personal, as opposed to a recitation which is intended to just deliver the poem as an aural experience. Your performance should almost help the marker visualise you. Even without a video provided, they should "hear" you smiling or hear the frustration in your voice. If you can effectively achieve this, it will strengthen your literary awareness for the audience. As suggested in my previous response, have family and friends listen to you and ask them what expressions they imagine for you in different areas to see if the effect you are aiming for is being received accordingly.

I hope these answer those questions. I love the idea and think it's very unique for the form you have chosen  ;D If you have anything else you would like to ask, feel free to  ;D This thread is all yours  :D

Angelina  :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 12:02:02 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music