Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 04:04:38 am

Author Topic: Re-Evaluation of English Extension 2 Marks  (Read 2358 times)  Share 

asamiruria

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re-Evaluation of English Extension 2 Marks
« on: December 14, 2017, 12:15:26 pm »
Hi! I'm new here, so sorry if I've done something wrong by starting a new topic for this question ;;

So, after getting all of my HSC marks back today, the only result I was honestly shocked/disappointed with was my Eng Ext 2 result. This was the one subject I was confident about, since longer creative writing pieces are my forte, and I also had a very experienced and highly-regarded English teacher mentoring me through the process. My mentor said that she was very satisfied with the final product, and my uncle, who's a very good English teacher in the US, also told me it was well-structured (he's very blunt, so I know this wasn't exaggerated). I received full marks in the Viva Voce, the progress report, the draft reflection, and got a very high mark for my draft major work itself.

Considering all this, I think it's kind of strange that there was such a disparity between how my school and everyone else who gave me feedback regarded my work, and how the HSC markers marked it (I didn't get E4). One factor I think might've played into it is the controversial concept I explored - how restricting society into binary identities such as male and female, gay and straight, etc. is very detrimental to full self-realisation, growth, and expression, and how bisexuality is liberating in comparison. I know that it's highly unlikely that markers would be unprofessional enough to discriminate based on subject matter they might not agree with, but a subconscious bias may exist.

So uh, basically the whole point of this rambly spiel was to say, based on all these factors, should I seek a re-evaluation of my English Extension 2 mark?

Edit: I'm also really confused about what "Examination" and "Assessment" marks mean in the NESA table. I thought "Assessment" meant internal assessment, but my internal assessment mark was the same as examination and HSC, which is definitely wrong, because it was way higher. (I also came first in internal assessment ranking so that shouldn't influence anything.)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 12:25:53 pm by asamiruria »

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
Re: Re-Evaluation of English Extension 2 Marks
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 04:18:06 pm »
If I recall correctly, I dont think you can actually get them to remark the assessment per se, but you can get to take a look if there were any adding errors or whatever. I think
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Re-Evaluation of English Extension 2 Marks
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 06:40:14 pm »
+1
Hey! I don't really know the process in regards to getting a major work remarked. You can, via students online, request a mark check, but that just makes sure that everything was calculated correctly. I believe schools can lodge an appeal however, so maybe go chat with your teacher? If you think it is worthwhile, I say go for it, if it is really bothering you :) However, be prepared for them to not accept your appeal. Given that it is a creative subject, unfortunately marking can get quite subjective :( Along with this, don't be too disheartened about your mark, its not always a reflection of the quality of your work, there could be other factors involved. Again, I'm unsure about the EE2 process as I didn't study it, however a friend of mine last year received an E3, however her work was included within EE2 showcase for spoken word poetry :)

In terms of your second question, your assessment mark is your internal mark, however it is not the average of all of your accumulated assessment marks throughout the year. Your internal assessment marks just ensure your internal rank, which is then sent of to NESA. Your assessment mark is (roughly) whatever your rank received in the exam. So if you come first, your assessment mark is going to be the highest examination mark out of your cohort (while your examination mark is what you actually received + scaling). So if both your exam and assessment marks were the same, then that means that you got the highest exam mark in your cohort! Well done :)

Hope this helps! Good luck :)

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!