Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:52:41 am

Author Topic: VCE Subject Selection Help  (Read 3311 times)

MikeV

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
VCE Subject Selection Help
« on: February 13, 2022, 11:01:31 am »
I am planning to start a career in engineering and have chosen 4 of my subjects already:
1. English: Need help to decide
2. Methods
3. Spec
4. Chem
5. Physics
6. Art OR Business management OR other suggestions

My school doesn't allow me to do any VCE subjects in year 10 and I need help deciding on which English subject to chose for VCE (English, Language, Literature) as well as my sixth subject.

mabajas76

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
Re: VCE Subject Selection Help
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 11:21:25 am »
+2
As for the main four you have selected, that will set you up well for engineering in terms of preresiquites and skills. However That is a VERY difficult combo.
For English I would ask what interests you. Do you enjoy reading? How have ur essays been in previous years or are you much more of a science guy. Because eng lan is literally linguistics which is the study of language. You get down to the HOW of language instead of the WHY in a sense (Think how does my using capitals in HOW changes the sentence is english language and the reason I am using it is normal english or lit.) Talk to your teacher and look through the study designs, but also be aware that lan is alot of memorizing metalanguage and that it is easier to pick up eng lan 3/4 than normal english 3/4.

Now for your 6th. There are a few options, I would honestly reccomend accelerating buissman and then either picking up like further or something, a uni subject or a load reduction for year 12. Year 11 will be tough with those subjects but it is doable, and accelerating an easy subject like BM or even R&S could be very beneficial as year 12 will be jammed. Doing 4/5 in year 12 will be a life saver and since the 1/2's for some of those subjects don't relate TOO much to the 3/4 then you can foccus on the 3/4 more.

Whatever you choose, just make sure you are not over doing it.
"Don't give up, and don't put too much effort into things that don't matter"-Albert Einstein, probably.

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 11:22:37 am »
+1
I am planning to start a career in engineering and have chosen 4 of my subjects already:
2. Methods
3. Spec
4. Chem
5. Physics

My school doesn't allow me to do any VCE subjects in year 10 and I need help deciding on which English subject to chose for VCE (English, Language, Literature) as well as my sixth subject.

Hi! This is actually identical to the subjects that I did, I did Art for my 6th subject, let me know if you have any questions about it.

In terms of English, what have you enjoyed about it in the past? Do you consider yourself good at English? Do you like reading books?
All these questions will help us help you a bit better :)

MikeV

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 02:22:44 pm »
I am into reading and have done well in my language analysis and text response essays at school. However, I am a bit worried about the workload that would go with my other subjects because it sounds like Literature takes a lot of time and commitment. I am nervous about the long lists of texts, poems, plays, etc, and even more nervous about the memorization of metalanguage.

As for my sixth subject, I would like to take a subject that wouldn't take much stress and a bit more on like creative side: like art. I do decently well in art but I am thinking whether or not it will be beneficial for my future.

mabajas76

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 08:45:37 pm »
I am into reading and have done well in my language analysis and text response essays at school. However, I am a bit worried about the workload that would go with my other subjects because it sounds like Literature takes a lot of time and commitment. I am nervous about the long lists of texts, poems, plays, etc, and even more nervous about the memorization of metalanguage.

As for my sixth subject, I would like to take a subject that wouldn't take much stress and a bit more on like creative side: like art. I do decently well in art but I am thinking whether or not it will be beneficial for my future.
Your subjects already suit what you need to do well in the course you want, what will benefit you for a 6th in doing something you truly enjoy that can break the monotony of math and science.
I have only done eng lan so i will say that language has lots of reading, just not books. The metalanguage isn't to much trouble either imo.
"Don't give up, and don't put too much effort into things that don't matter"-Albert Einstein, probably.

booksandpages7

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 09:11:53 pm »
2. Methods
3. Spec
4. Chem
5. Physics

i personally haven't done any art subjects but i hear that a portfolio subject can be a lot to handle at times. i think viscom is one of the more chill ones tho
in my experience some relatively chill vce subjects are:
- PE
- bio
- HHD (friend does it)
- accounting (friend does it)
- also any VET subject is usually highly valued by uni's and it can be fun to get away from school for a bit - also from my friend's experience there's minimal work and easy to score 100% :)

aplantaday

• Fresh Poster
  • hi hi and hi.
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 10:19:54 pm »
As for the type of English, I'd probably just chose normal English unless you are really interested in another subject. It might be beneficial to ask some of your teachers or the people above your year level about it. Also I'd probably advise knowing what subjects actually run at your school (for example, my school only runs English...). For your sixth subject... you'll figure it out as you go along. It's still quite early in the year and you have some time to think about it. I always thought I would do chem instead of physics but I ended up going with physics in the end. I'm sure you'll choose the subjects right for you in due time.  ;D
Have a nice day! :)