Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:15:57 am

Author Topic: what has your experience of doing a Bachelor in biomedical science been like?  (Read 4202 times)

annaoh_2003

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
what subjects have you enjoyed? any subjects you did not enjoy? what do you like about campus? any tips for a future student like me? also do you have to deal with any dead people (i have a bit of a fear)?

Billuminati

• Science Games: Gold
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +127
what subjects have you enjoyed? any subjects you did not enjoy? what do you like about campus? any tips for a future student like me? also do you have to deal with any dead people (i have a bit of a fear)?

I'm not a student at ACU, but I'd assume that biomed curricula should be quite similar despite the different institutions. I personally loved the biochem/molecular bio and physiology units since they're understanding-based and really similar to my pride and joy, which are my chem electives. I didn't really like my anatomy or neurobio unit (yes anatomy units involve looking at dead bodies), since anatomy wasn't organised well and neurobio was way too much content for a 1st year unit. Poor organisation was also the reason I didn't really enjoy biostats/epi and biophysics. I have written some unit reviews on Monash subject reviews thread here on AN if you want some insights into how biomed degrees might be run, but they're not relevant to ACU biomed.

I have written a tips post for biomedders and chem students before, I'll link it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monash/comments/ptrnpy/bms_chm_survival_guide_caveats_and_strats/
VCE 2016-2018

2017: Biology [38], Further Maths [44]

2018: Methods [37], French [38], Chem [40], English [44]

UMAT: 56/43/80, 57th percentile (LLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL)

ATAR: 98.1

2019-2021: Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash (Scholars), minoring in Chemistry

GAMSAT September 2021: 65/67/86, 76 overall (98th percentile)

2022: Chilling

2023+: Transfer to teaching degree