Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:34:26 pm

Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 47050 times)  Share 

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2020, 02:59:32 pm »
+12
What about exercise?

Not if you have gotten a test recently. I got a test two weeks ago and we were specifically instructed to not go out. Exercise is not an excuse. While exercise is important, you could potentially be infecting other members of the community that could seem fine but be vulnerable. If you need to exercise, you can use your backyard or do at home workouts. There are other ways to get exercise if you have been tested.
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2020, 03:01:37 pm »
Would that non-allowance of exercise be also held if the individual has things that mean they really need quite a lot of exercise?
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2020, 03:07:06 pm »
+5
Would that non-allowance of exercise be also held if the individual has things that mean they really need quite a lot of exercise?
example?

anyway, as eloisegrace has already said although it can be somewhat limiting for some people you can try to get some exercise at home or out in your backyard

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2020, 03:08:39 pm »
+14

You work around it. If you're sick, you're putting others at risk - no ifs, ands, or buts. This may involve exercise being done around the house, in your backyard, etc., just not walking around the streets. If you're unsure of things you can do, you can very easily get in contact with a bulk-billing doctor over the phone in a matter of minutes (no joke - I once had a meeting at 12, woke up at 11, needed to see a doctor before 12, and got one) who you can talk to about your situation and for them to give you advice on things you can do.

As stated before, masks don't prevent COVID-19 - they help mitigate the risk. We want that risk to be 0 - so, if you have the virus, you going out (even while socially distancing, wearing a mask, etc.) will still cause that risk to be not 0.

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2020, 03:09:33 pm »
+9
Just beaten by keltingmeith

That's a very rare case, but the wait period for testing stands between 2-5 days, meaning that even dedicated athletes or those in need of physiotherapy will be able to complete in-home exercises till their results get back. If anyone had special circumstances, it's their individual responsibility to adhere to the guidelines set in place for the well-being of everyone - not just themselves.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2020, 03:10:23 pm »
+11
Can't think of anything that would mean that you could leave the house for exercise while waiting COVID test results. Even if someone does need exercise, there are ways that it could be done. We all have had to get a little creative during quarantine and exercise is no different.

I read something today that 53% (or around this figure) of COVID positive tests did not self isolate while awaiting results which is probably a factor in why cases are not decreasing after being in lockdown for nearly 2 weeks already.

EDIT: sine , keltingmeith and poet got to it first
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2020, 03:30:35 pm »
+4
Just beaten by keltingmeith

I'd like to say I'm the speed-posting master, but Sine's clearly the real MVP

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2020, 06:15:39 pm »
+2
Talking about not self isolating. 200 in QLD have gone missing while self-isolating?!! What is this??
I think this is just the headlines running. I believe those "missing" are people who when entering QLD lied about where they will be quarantining. So when police came around to check on them they weren't there.

brothanathan

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2020, 06:37:24 pm »
I think this is just the headlines running. I believe those "missing" are people who when entering QLD lied about where they will be quarantining. So when police came around to check on them they weren't there.

Still a concern though. Shouldn't they be quarantining in the place they live? The focus shouldn't be human rights and preserving our democracy. It's a highly transmissible virus, period. Unless they're thinkin, me life's done already. Might as well live it how I want
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 06:42:20 pm by brothanathan »

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2020, 07:22:12 pm »
+7
The focus shouldn't be human rights and preserving our democracy

I mean, no, you're way off here. The preservation of human rights and democracy should be a critical thought on everyone's mind - the fact that there's a virus going around should not affect whether someone feels they're being treated fairly or whether they still have a voice in this country. You have the right to be able to speak up and say, "I don't think this is being handled in a beneficial way".

The problem here isn't these people thinking about human rights or democracy, it's about them choosing to ignore guidelines that benefit the masses. Taking action is different to taking voice, and we should not live in an environment where you are not allowed to take voice - and the moment you let people think they have no voice, is the moment that you spur them to take action, which is what we don't want in this case. People feeling they had no voice is what led to the #BLM protests (I mean, ignoring the institutionalised racism, but having no voice is one of the reasons that existed, so I stand by my point) - they weren't being heard, so they took action. Now, I'm not here to play a blame game (particularly when there's no evidence linking the protests to the current outbreak), but even with COVID running rampant - ESPECIALLY with COVID running rampant - it is important that people feel like they still have a voice, and that they are retaining their basic human rights. We do not live in communist China, we should be allowed to speak up against the Government.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2020, 08:03:56 pm »
+10
Been seeing reports (including from my supervisor- basically the same speech of his was reported on The Age, The AFR and now 7.30) that it is more than likely that Australia will have outsource vaccine manufacture to other countries as we don't have the manufacturing capabilities or capacities.

This is something that's kinda interesting to note imo
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2020, 09:01:16 pm »
+7
What would be a beneficial way in your opinion? What do you think the majority would see as beneficial? Elimination would be seen as eroding our rights; neo-communism. The current Dandemic approach is already being labelled as such. How should the Government be handling our current situation? If we are not to follow other democratic countries who have successfully eliminated the virus through semi if not sternly totalitarian measures?
Ordering restrictions for a lockdown is not the government's desire to control citizens, it's an attempt to give some degree of safety for those who are at risk, and to minimise the spread to prevent the loss of more lives. I don't know about you, but I have never felt that the government was trying to take away my rights - any sensible human being would sacrifice a bit of time outside and follow the rules (this is in general - there are, of course, exceptions to rules in certain cases) if it meant we were protecting those around us and helping to ease the burden on the country's healthcare and hospitals. In this case, I don't think describing it as totalitarian is accurate, because we can still speak up against the government and we still retain our rights. There will always be objectors - those who don't want to comply with the rules. But these rules were put in place to protect us and those around us, not with some sort of ulterior motive (well, I'd like to believe this anyway). The government was by no means perfect with their decision making, and I can see what you mean. Yes, it may seem like they're controlling us, but they don't exactly have another choice. As responsible, well-informed citizens, all we can do is abide by the rules.

(This is just what I think, feel free to contend.)
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

brothanathan

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2020, 09:50:33 pm »
The government was by no means perfect with their decision making, and I can see what you mean. Yes, it may seem like they're controlling us, but they don't exactly have another choice. As responsible, well-informed citizens, all we can do is abide by the rules.
(This is just what I think, feel free to contend.)

If only we all could think this way, at least until the pandemic ends... but like what keltingmeith contends, we aren't a communist country on paper, so to speak. If we could just settle our ideological differences, just for now...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 09:56:45 pm by brothanathan »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2020, 12:31:37 pm »
+2

Today the Victorian state's cases have hit an all time high at 484. According to the Premier's address this afternoon, 53% of people who tested positive overnight did not self isolate in the interim between testing and results.

1800 675 398 was also the number given to call for a financial support package of $1500 for people who normally wouldn't be able to afford to isolate.
Also from 3810 cases between 7th-21st of July approximately 90% of people (3400 cases) didn't isolate between feeling sick with symptoms and getting the test which is very concerning.

Obviously, this is not about blaming anyone. There is a lot of talk about the reasons for this being financial due to casual and insecure work. The support package doesn't fix everything but hopefully more widespread knowledge of it will get more people staying home when sick.
In addition to the above, there was more support announced today. $300 available when someone gets tested but they need to meet the same eligibility criteria for the scheme that Poet outlined. 

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2020, 12:42:04 pm »
+2
What would be a beneficial way in your opinion? What do you think the majority would see as beneficial? Elimination would be seen as eroding our rights; neo-communism. The current Dandemic approach is already being labelled as such. How should the Government be handling our current situation? If we are not to follow other democratic countries who have successfully eliminated the virus through semi if not sternly totalitarian measures?

I think you have a few false-equivalencies there. It's not about what you allow people to do or not do - it's that you allow them to be heard, and have open channels and communication. For example, people complain that they can't afford to lockdown - Government puts in loan programs to help them out. People note that it doesn't make sense to not be allowed activities like fishing where you won't come into contact with anyone - Government allows people to go fishing. We're not in a totalitarian environment, people still have a voice and are being heard.

If only we all could think this way, at least until the pandemic ends... but like what keltingmeith contends, we aren't a communist country on paper, so to speak. If we could just settle our ideological differences, just for now...

... Are you trying to suggest we ARE a communist country? I'm a little confused.