Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:40:15 pm

Author Topic: Job interviews  (Read 4033 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Job interviews
« on: January 11, 2020, 03:39:10 pm »
I have virtually zero job interview experience. The closest I have experienced to what I think constitutes a traditional job interview is when I applied to be College Captain in Year 11. Fair to say, I let the nerves get the better of me, especially with the tougher questions. I know that the job interview is an essential part of the employment process. But, having no experience with it, I need the help of someone who has been there and done that. What is it like? Did you prepare at all? How should you prepare? If it helps anyone trying to answer this, I have mostly applied to fast food places. Thanks!
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Job interviews
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 05:52:10 pm »
+4
It's generally also useful to think about scenarios in which you have displayed the Key Selection Criteria for the job. Being able to quickly provide context, what your task was, what you did, and what the result was is a great skill to have.

Also make sure you're aware of things ensuring you'll be on time, making courteous to everyone etc.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Job interviews
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 01:58:41 pm »
+6
Precisely as Bri said, it’s mostly “do you fit the Key Selection Criteria?” and having good examples to back up what you say that they will care about. Some other things to note is that they will care about how you hold yourself professionally. By this, I mean your body language has to be not too sloppy, you need to give a firm handshake if one is deemed necessary, you need to be on time and so forth. I also find that admitting that you’re a bit nervous and smiling, even awkwardly, also helps. They’ll understand that you’re human and you’ll have a little leniency too. They would’ve been in your shoes as an interviewee before.

What is it like?
Usually I’ll try to be in the vicinity within 15 mins of the interview and actually head into the interview area/reception about 5-10 mins before. (Note: It is likely different for fast food. Most of my job interview experiences are from looking for full time jobs.) Let them know you’re there. They usually tell you to wait or sit down somewhere, so just follow that instruction until you’re seen. You’ll head into a quiet space for the interview.

Usually I find the first part is about the role you’ve got the interview for and they’ll discuss what it’s actually about and who they are. Then they’ll start to ask about you. Typically I got the question “So, please introduce yourself?” Or “please tell me a bit about yourself.” Here you’ll discuss any major things you think they ought to know and skills/ experience you might have (the elevator pitch). After that, they’ll begin to have questions for you. I’ve found most of these are easily prepared for if you just check some on the internet. It should be mostly about skills, experience, knowledge of the industry/company, but there’s sometimes the oddball or two that get thrown in. From there, the questions get more specific usually (e.g. availability, technical aspects, certifications like RSA, food safety, first aid) and you’ll be able to read their responses a bit to see whether they like you. After all the questions are done, they’ll pass the baton on to you - “do you have any questions?” Now here, I usually have a few questions prepared beforehand and job hunting sessions have always told me to definitely ask at least two questions. I’ve always asked things like “what do you expect the successful applicant to have achieved in 3 months?” as this shows that you’re thinking ahead and very interested in this job, but again, this is something you can search for online. From there, you might also ask about the interviewers’ experiences at the company, as this then lets you gauge if the job is for you and people find it easier to talk about themselves (and plus, it puts a lot of pressure off you for 30 seconds). You’ll either run out of questions (which you shouldn’t) or they’ll cap off the interview and you say thank you for the interview, give a firm handshake and get seen out.

Generally, the longer the interview, the better the chance they liked you.

Did you prepare? How should I prepare?
Yes, definitely. I usually take about half an hour to prepare answers for their questions and questions to ask the day before the interview. I’ll do research on their company and the skills they require. I’ll also find good clean clothes to wear and head up two buses/ trains/ trams early (in case one fails/ is late) or drive up early. Some job hunting places say that if you can, scout the place one before the interview day.

Note that all interviews are different though and not everything will be like that. That’s just my own experiences and yours will likely be different.

Hopefully that helps.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread