Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:36:03 am

Author Topic: NSW Fires  (Read 3951 times)  Share 

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
NSW Fires
« on: November 14, 2019, 06:46:24 pm »
+3
Recently I've been following the devastating bushfires in New South Wales, and the thing that struck me most about the coverage was how political the media seemed to have made the situation. Even the people who were arguing that the left shouldn't use this situation to talk about climate change were making their coverage political by mentioning it.

So, the question: do you think that in events as tragic as this, it is appropriate for individuals to talk about potentially divisive issues, such as climate change? Should discussion like that happen separately to the coverage of these tragic events? Or, should events like this be used as ways to raise awareness?

I think that if you can't talk about the climate crisis when events obviously caused by climate change occur, you'll never be allowed to talk about it.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: NSW Fires
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 06:56:15 pm »
+4
I think the only appropriate response when a tragedy occurs (aside from dealing with its effects of course) is to discuss the cause of it and how to prevent/mitigate reoccurrences.
A lot of parallels could be drawn between the response to these fires and the gun control debate that occurs after every mass shooting in the US.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: NSW Fires
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 07:31:52 pm »
+3
As a student of Science, I am a firm believer in the many hard years of scientific research that goes behind proposing a theory.

Carbon traps heat, this has been shown and proven scientifically, so I don't know how people don't believe that the greenhouse gasses are at least not speeding up the process. Like just how? Valid experiments have proven Carbon traps heat so how can you deny that? It's someones 30 second google search vs researches that spent years earning a degree...