Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:01:22 pm

Author Topic: Hiking/camping thread!  (Read 11063 times)  Share 

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +180
Re: Hiking/camping thread!
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 03:17:23 pm »
+4
I love both camping and hiking, but interestingly enough I have never combined them to do an overnight hike. My younger sister is a scout though (just moved up to venturers) so we are planning to go on just a one night hike together sometime in the Summer holidays. If anyone has any suggestions for good hiking/camping spots in the central coast or port stephens area that would be great!

Can definitely recommend hiking in Tasmania! We did a couple of day hikes at cradle mountain and Lake St Claire, which were stunning! It was raining for a large part of one of our hikes, so it was very cold and wet, but I still loved it! I think that is part of the experience of hiking sometimes, even though it isn't the most pleasant.

I did a hike in the Blue Mountains with my family (my family all love bushwalking) a couple of years ago, right down into the valley. It was beautiful, but we all felt pretty apprehensive when we approached a huge cliff and could see stairs going pretty much straight up the cliff. It was hard but we all made it, and there were some amazing views on the way up. I have also done some really nice walks (idk if they count as hikes) in the Daintree Rainforest, I particularly like rainforest walks.

As for camping, what sort of set up do you guys have? (not for overnight hikes, just camping with family or something?) My family used to have a pretty big 2 room tent with an awning which we would put cooking stuff/table under, but we now have 2 small tents and a small gazebo, which is easier to set up and there is more space.

As for camping pegs, I agree with PheonixxFire, I just shove them in and hope for the best
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Hiking/camping thread!
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 03:27:12 pm »
+5

Usually when I go camping with family now it's me & mum in a 3 room tent with awning (which is completely excessive but the tent was bought when my older brother used to go away with us too). If you think I'm pedantic about pegs being inserted correctly mum is a whole 'nother level, so usually she sets up most of our tent while I help my cousins with theirs & setting up camp kitchen, camp cupboards gazebo etc.

the amount of camping gear we have is fairly excessive, but it does mean we have a very comfortable set up which is nice when you're using it for more than a week sometimes

I'd like to visit the blue mountains, sounds really nice :)