Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:42:19 pm

Author Topic: Transfering into Law with a low ATAR?  (Read 7756 times)  Share 

SemiAdapted

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Transfering into Law with a low ATAR?
« on: November 10, 2018, 04:20:49 pm »
I'm completing year 12 VCE exams now, and I'm afraid I'm going to get a low ATAR (~70-80) and want to do law at university. My marks have been relatively high throughout the year,, placing between 5th and 1st in all my classes (save distance education), and I've had a number of hurdles within my classes, such as regrettable subject course and other factors, and I'm afraid I'm doing/will do poorly in my exams. I'm eligible for SEAS in almost every area so I'm confident in at least getting into an Arts course at Monash University, but does anyone know if it's possible to transfer into an Arts/Law course with an ATAR as low as 70 or 80 if I achieved the marks at uni, and how hard that would be?

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
Re: Transfering into Law with a low ATAR?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 04:59:56 pm »
I'm completing year 12 VCE exams now, and I'm afraid I'm going to get a low ATAR (~70-80) and want to do law at university. My marks have been relatively high throughout the year,, placing between 5th and 1st in all my classes (save distance education), and I've had a number of hurdles within my classes, such as regrettable subject course and other factors, and I'm afraid I'm doing/will do poorly in my exams. I'm eligible for SEAS in almost every area so I'm confident in at least getting into an Arts course at Monash University, but does anyone know if it's possible to transfer into an Arts/Law course with an ATAR as low as 70 or 80 if I achieved the marks at uni, and how hard that would be?

Hey there!
It's definitely possible to transfer to Arts/Law after completing a year of Arts - I know plenty of people who have done this.
When applying for an internal transfer the main thing is your WAM (not your ATAR), so if you have a high enough WAM you shouldn't have any issues.
I don't want to estimate how 'hard' it will be to transfer (as this is very subjective) - but you should be fine if you study consistently and get pretty good results throughout the year :)
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

SemiAdapted

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 05:17:17 pm »
Hey, thank you for your reply! Do you know if anyone has realistically managed the transfer with a low ATAR?

Meddling

• Forum Regular
  • University of Melbourne
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 05:24:59 pm »
Hey, thank you for your reply! Do you know if anyone has realistically managed the transfer with a low ATAR?

They don't look at your ATAR when transferring courses at University.
An ATAR might be indicative of your work habits (low ATAR usually mean they don't study consistently and vice versa), but of course there are other factors that has an impact on your ATAR which is why SEAS exists.

So if you have a consistent working habit, and get unlucky with your ATAR, I wouldn't worry too much.
𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟾 - 𝟸𝟶𝟸𝟶⎬BSc (Human Structure and Function) @ UniMelb
𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟾⎬⧼BIOL10004⧽⧼BIOL10005⧽⧼CHEM10007⧽⧼CHEM10003⧽⧼PHYC10003⧽⧼PHYC10008⧽⧼UNIB10009⧽⧼MUSI20150⧽
𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟿⎬⧼ANAT20006⧽⧼PHYS20008⧽⧼BCMB20002⧽⧼MIIM20001⧽⧼MIIM20002⧽⧼SCIE20001⧽⧼EDUC10051⧽⧼CHEM10004⧽
𝟸𝟶𝟸𝟶⎬⧼ANAT30007⧽⧼ANAT30008⧽⧼NEUR30002⧽⧼NEUR30003⧽⧼TBA-Elective⧽⧼TBA-Elective⧽⧼TBA-Breadth⧽TBA-Breadth⧽