Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:31:47 pm

Author Topic: McGregor vs Mayweather  (Read 5626 times)  Share 

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
McGregor vs Mayweather
« on: August 23, 2017, 06:27:46 pm »
+6
Surprised this thread hasn't been created already! Maybe it shows that the ATAR Notes demographic isn't a great fan of boxing... 8)

What are people's thoughts on the fight?

I'm the first to admit I'm not really a boxing fan, and my knowledge of the sport is very limited, but I must say I've been drawn in a bit by this fight. The build-up, the fact that it involves cross-code athletes... I think it will be an interesting spectacle. Whoever loses is certainly going to look like a fool after the amount of trash talk that has happened in the lead-up. Some of it has been plain ridiculous!

For the record, I think the fight will be a bit of a fizz and Mayweather will win by decision. Would love to see McGregor defy the odds though!!

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: McGregor vs Mayweather
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 06:34:42 pm »
+3
Also not super into either sport, but I'm really struggling to comprehend McGregor having any chance against Mayweather when he ISN'T A BOXER! I agree, I think it will be Mayweather by decision, but I'd also be ecstatic if McGregor actually pulled anything off

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 06:42:19 pm »
+3
yeah i watch alot of boxing and mma and i think it will either be a macregor KO/TKO/DQ in the first 4 rounds or go the distance and mayweather will win on points. mayweather is quite a bit older now and thats probably the biggest variable. he also isnt in super top fighting shape and has been seen eating junk food and at the strip club every night this week so far. in the end it becomes a matter of how much has mayweather aged since his last big fight? if he isnt as quick or as reflexive as he was in his peak, and with conors power and fighting ability, he will probably be taken out pretty early on. if he has trained enough to maintain his compsure and technical ability it should be fine. it really depends. i dont think conor stands a change on winning by points and will definitely have to go for the knockout and im pretty sure conor will be able to take a beating more than mayweather but i have seen stranger things happen.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 06:45:59 pm »
+3
Surprised this thread hasn't been created already! Maybe it shows that the ATAR Notes demographic isn't a great fan of boxing... 8)

What are people's thoughts on the fight?

I'm the first to admit I'm not really a boxing fan, and my knowledge of the sport is very limited, but I must say I've been drawn in a bit by this fight. The build-up, the fact that it involves cross-code athletes... I think it will be an interesting spectacle. Whoever loses is certainly going to look like a fool after the amount of trash talk that has happened in the lead-up. Some of it has been plain ridiculous!

For the record, I think the fight will be a bit of a fizz and Mayweather will win by decision. Would love to see McGregor defy the odds though!!
Probably should preface this with I don't follow either sport and the last fight I watched was Mayweather Vs Pacquiao so it's been quite  a while

I'm all for Mayweather by decision. I'd probs give McGregor only a 1% chance of winning this. Trash talk is just promotion haha. I'm praying the fight will get interesting but I really don't think it will be.

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 06:46:56 pm »
+3
I'd love to see McGregor win, but honestly, don't see him as having much of a chance. Mayweather can really move -- it's like he's in The Matrix 80% of the time. Even if McGregor can stay on his feet, I'm sure Mayweather would win on points.

It'd be hilarious if Mayweather's 50th (and last game) in his career is also his first loss, to a guy in his very first boxing match (even if he is mainly a striker).

I'll be going to a mate's house to watch it with a dozen other mates. Excessive yelling required

Edit: Just need to add I'm not too well-versed on both fighters. I haven't followed boxing actively in a while, nor do I follow much UFC nowadays (that said, Cain Velasquez <3 ). However, I agree with what Spec said above. If McGregor doesn't KO in the first few rounds, it'll probably end up going to Mayweather on points. Definitely not expecting a KO from Mayweather tho at all)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 07:06:09 pm by Calebark »
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 06:55:31 pm »
+2
Disclaimer: love both sports, have been gearing myself up for this fight for two months.

I think the cross-code "McGregor couldn't do it" discussion goes a bit too far. So many people saying "Floyd has 49 fights and Connor has 0!"

No. Not true. Connor has 24 fights and 18 knockouts. He's fought under severe pressure a lot of times in his career. He's been through intense, gruelling fight camps that no-one but a professional fighter can comprehend. Yes, he hasn't had a boxing fight, but comparing him to an amateur boxer making their professional debut is silly. Someone making their professional debut has never been under the lights, has never heard the crowd. AT LEAST in this respect, it's not AS BIG of a mismatch as people make out just by pointing to the numbers. (Don't get me wrong, it's a severe mismatch, but not because Connor's never been in a fight in his life. He's never been in a boxing match, sure, but part of the intrigue in this matchup is that we're about to find out how much that truly matters).

I think predictions... they're folly. The whole point of this fight is that literally not one single person has any idea how things will work out.

On Connor's side:

- Floyd's hands are brittle af, hasn't had a genuine knockout in 10 years.
- Floyd is old - slower, less powerful than he used to be (so, basically, he's still ridiculously fast... lol), coming off a 2 year layoff, whereas Connor has seen a lot of activity in major camps in the past 2 years
- Connor's style will be totally unfamiliar to Floyd. Floyd doesn't study tape - he fights everyone the same way - which is actually fucking boss as. He's so good he doesn't need to study tape; he backs his style in regardless. But like, that's fine when your style is built for other boxing styles. There's a chance (if you're making an argument for Connor) that "Floyd won't know what's coming!" (I disagree with this. Floyd's the ultimate professional. He's not gonna get spooked by some weird footwork and a beard).
- Connor is bigger, younger, stronger, and will probably take a 5kg weight advantage into the fight.

On Floyd's side:

- an enormous wealth of experience. I know I made a point about "Connor has fought before" earlier in this post but... Floyd has supreme experience over 12 rounds - tactically, physically, familiarty
- Is probably psychologically/physically more prepared for a longer fight. Connor will be in absolutely phenomenal shape, I have no doubt - but realistically, he's only ever done 12 rounds of sparring. That's never, ever, ever going to feel the same as 12 rounds of a huge fight (i keep going to say 'championship fight' but this is literally a meaningless fight in the grand scheme of things haha).
- Is simply 50 million times a better boxer than Connor will ever be. (I guess one of the major question is... does that matter all that much?

I agree that Connor's best chance is an early knockout. Floyd could win in any number of unsurprising ways. I wouldn't be overly surprised if Connor knocked Floyd out, but I'd be pretty fucking flabbergasted if he won a decision... lol.  Connor's chances of getting knocked out go up massively the later the fight goes imo... It will just be super interesting. Anything could happen (most likely a boring points fest but c'mon a boy can dream).

Would be ecstatic if Connor won. Expecting Mayweather to win, low-key hopeful af that something magical happens.

✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Lavar Big BBB Balls

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 07:29:25 pm »
+1
I just follow MMA, mostly K1 before and now UFC. Don't know much about boxing though.

Obviously, you'd be crazy to put Conor over Floyd but I think Conor still has a chance in the first couple rounds like whoever said above. Although, UFC fans need to stop over-exaggerating Conor's knockout power. Floyd's easily fought harder punchers than Conor and 8 ounce gloves are going to stop his power as well..

Wouldn't be surprised if Conor dominates the first couple rounds, apparently Floyd's current weight is his walk-in weight so this is why he's stuffing his face with junk food to force himself on a dirty bulk. Conor's going to go in much heavier especially since UFC fighters tend to have much more extreme weight cuts leading up to a fight compared to boxers. I doubt Floyd at his age will be able to cut much weight or he'd probably pass out.

I don't think Conor has much to lose, even if he loses though. All the shit talk he does for promotion is always for show and everyone knows that.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 07:31:34 pm »
+1
I just follow MMA, mostly K1 before and now UFC. Don't know much about boxing though.

Obviously, you'd be crazy to put Conor over Floyd but I think Conor still has a chance in the first couple rounds like whoever said above. Although, UFC fans need to stop over-exaggerating Conor's knockout power. Floyd's easily fought harder punchers than Conor and 8 ounce gloves are going to stop his power as well..

Wouldn't be surprised if Conor dominates the first couple rounds, apparently Floyd's current weight is his walk-in weight so this is why he's stuffing his face with junk food to force himself on a dirty bulk. Conor's going to go in much heavier especially since UFC fighters tend to have much more extreme weight cuts leading up to a fight compared to boxers. I doubt Floyd at his age will be able to cut much weight or he'd probably pass out.

I don't think Conor has much to lose, even if he loses though. All the shit talk he does for promotion is always for show and everyone knows that.
Yeah it's such a farce to jump on Connor like he's the most powerful puncher to walk the earth lol.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 03:28:32 pm »
+3
Mayweather by TKO in the 10th round  ;D ;D

McGregor did well though probably won 3-4 of the first 5 rounds (RIP those were my thoughts the  "official scorecards" have a different story)

What did you guys think?

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 04:06:28 pm by Sine »

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 05:31:33 pm »
+1
Mayweather by TKO in the 10th round  ;D ;D

McGregor did well though probably won 3-4 of the first 5 rounds (RIP those were my thoughts the  "official scorecards" have a different story)

What did you guys think?
I think he outperformed Mayweather in the first few rounds. I think this was partially due to Mayweather just doing defence at this point thought, but perhaps due to a bit of underestimation>. MacGregor certainly performed better than I thought. Mayweather went absolutely ham at the end

Really enjoyed the Badou v Cleverly fight. Badou had some insane uppercuts. If that one in the last second of R1 connected, whew, would've taken off Cleverly's head

Davis putting his hands behind his back and dodging was a dick move but damn, it was entertaining

Edit:

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 05:48:15 pm by Calebark »
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 05:51:46 pm »
+1
i kinda thought the ref stopped it early. even mcgregor thought so in his post match interview. he has taken way more hits from people much stronger than floyd and his legs hadnt given out yet and he still appeared completely lucid just fatigued. mcgregor usually performs pretty well super late in fights and mightve been able to go for a knockout. its crazy though seeing the scorecard... mcgregor surely won at least 3 out of teh first 5 rounds and probably the 8th too. to see that they had him winning so few is a huge part of why people stop watching boxing ("its rigged how did pacquiao lose??" etc.). definitely performed alright though. to be completely honest his boxing skills were about what I thought they would be as he has obviously had extensive training over the last few months but his fitness kinda let me down. i really thought he would not run out of gas the whole fight seeing as he is 11 years younger than floyd and in his absolute prime. either way he fought well and mayweather did his usual thing