Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:28:52 pm

Author Topic: How to be a good tutor  (Read 46374 times)  Share 

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
Re: How to be a good tutor
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 12:01:26 pm »
yeah thushan, your parents gave your username to you :P LOL!

It was after I bought this cool rubber duck from toys'r'us - it's meant for baby baths, the bottom has a blue disc and the word 'HOT' turns up if you stick it in warm water. So yeah, searching for username, duck is on desk next to computer ---> funkyducky. Also, the duck has a pretty cool cape.

...how old were you? :S LOL!

guys, I had big dreams of a tuition company, I started a website and all, I still don't have students, dw, I have really good marketing potential through my school cause I have a lot of friends in Year 11 and 12 next year...but then that raises the next question!

what do you think of tutoring good friends, cause for me, this is what I feel about it
1) how do I make it productive and not just start d&m-ing about things?
2) I feel bad charging them cause we're good friends!? any ideas? ;D

1. I think the best way to make it productive is if you set time after the lesson to just hang out. Keep enforcing your friend to stay focused during tutor time and keep encouraging them that they can talk to you afterwards.

2. Well, it depends on how badly you want the money. Would you be happy to do it for free? If you still want your services recognised, perhaps a discount would be suitable.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 03:52:05 pm »
1) - yep, that can be easily dealt with

2) - this is harder, personally, I would be happy to do it for free, but because it's formal tuition, not "helping a friend" - it does get awkward especially for them - they might feel as if they "owe" me which I really don't want them to feel - it impedes learning, also, if I were to charge full price, I'd feel bad because I really hate taking money from a friend :P - but yeah, discount is viable, but then there's the discussion of how much :S

You do get my conundrum yeah?

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 04:06:11 pm »
+1
2) - this is harder, personally, I would be happy to do it for free, but because it's formal tuition, not "helping a friend" - it does get awkward especially for them - they might feel as if they "owe" me which I really don't want them to feel - it impedes learning, also, if I were to charge full price, I'd feel bad because I really hate taking money from a friend :P - but yeah, discount is viable, but then there's the discussion of how much :S
This might seem like a stupid suggestion, but try asking them how they feel. I mean if you're happy to do it, then it shouldn't be much of a problem (if you weren't then it might be awkward).

e.g.

"would you feel like you owed me if I tutored you for free?"

If no - "WELL YOU SHOULD, #@%$HOLE!" (kidding...)

If yes - "I don't want to charge you full price what do you think a fair discount would be?" etc.
Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 04:09:12 pm »
You could always do what a friend of mine did when they were friends with the tutor. They refused to be paid so basically they go paid with loads of food while they were at their house tutoring, that way they can't continuosly say no :P
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 04:12:52 pm »
1) - yep, that can be easily dealt with

You do get my conundrum yeah?

Discuss it with your friend. You'll be able to come up with something. And as b^3 said, if you insist not to be paid, you will find they will give back to you in some other way. :)

Seems madam?

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 11:17:24 pm »
This is some really sound advice. Thank you for ensuring that I don't make some serious mistakes when I tutor in the future :D

greenbeans

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 10:12:54 am »
what do you think of tutoring good friends

why don't you see if your close friends can give you a good rec and then you can start tutoring their friends... i.e. friends of friends so you don't get, er, distracted too often? Teheh
VCE 2010/2011
English | English Language | French | Music Performance | Further Maths | Legal Studies

Bachelor of Arts, Monash
Linguistics | French | Journalism | Criminology

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 11:41:35 am »
This is some really sound advice. Thank you for ensuring that I don't make some serious mistakes when I tutor in the future :D

You're welcome! :D

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 12:55:06 pm »
what do you think of tutoring good friends

why don't you see if your close friends can give you a good rec and then you can start tutoring their friends... i.e. friends of friends so you don't get, er, distracted too often? Teheh

Tutoring a good friend can be a good thing. I'm tutoring one of my good friends for chem atm and she's my favourite student - you two get really comfortable and you can teach in a more jokey and casual way :D
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 01:04:13 pm »
whenever i teach friends, i always end up talking about different things, it's different to casual helping because as a tutor, you're earning money from it as well as having a responsibility somewhat in my opinion

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 03:11:18 pm »
If you really care for your friend's education (which it seems you do), you'll know whether it's appropriate to not tutor your friend, or to go ahead and ensure you're offering an genuine service.

tram

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 10:02:40 pm »
+1
You could always do what a friend of mine did when they were friends with the tutor. They refused to be paid so basically they go paid with loads of food while they were at their house tutoring, that way they can't continuosly say no :P

this is the best way, also works a treat in uni when you really need a friend to help you with a subject you don't understand (read: haven't turned up to) and feel bad constantly pestering them: fill them up with food and coffee (Y)

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 10:08:00 am »
Yeah, this will definitely happen.

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 05:20:35 pm »
Slight editing changes made. :)

VivaTequila

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +131
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 12:20:43 am »
Nice!
I have 10ish students though :/
10!!!!!
I have one :( and she hasn't contacted me since our last lesson LOL. (well, technically I have another who I haven't seen yet and one other that doesn't count cos I'm not charging)
I've had a lot of "I'm interested" then "I'll get back to you" then nothing... :(

This has happened to me a few times. I'm glad it's not just me!