Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:05:35 am

Author Topic: Thinking of a Melbourne JD? LSAT discussion thread  (Read 57750 times)  Share 

LOVEPHYSICS

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Re: Thinking of a Melbourne JD? LSAT discussion thread
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 12:07:54 am »
Yeah, I am pretty sure there is the CSP Supported place and also the full-feel place, which is like 90k to 100k.
Arts/Law (ANU)

Streaker

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 12:11:20 am »
Any idea how much the CSP would be? And how to obtain it?

EDIT: Also just out of interest: would the Melbourne JD course be different between students who completed their undergrad at UoM (since they never did law before) compared to someone who completed a law undergrad at Monash, for example? Does the latter student have to sit the LSAT?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:19:27 am by Streaker »

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 08:17:45 am »
Haha, thanks Erinyy! Yeah I understand the above paragraph. 2.5 Months? I have heard people who dedicated a good few years of their life for it!
I think I'd go crazy if I did that. But hey, if you can study for years, go for it! Especially if you really want to do law.

EDIT: Also just out of interest: would the Melbourne JD course be different between students who completed their undergrad at UoM (since they never did law before) compared to someone who completed a law undergrad at Monash, for example? Does the latter student have to sit the LSAT?
Someone who does the LLB at Monash doesn't have to sit the LSAT and entry is pretty much based on ENTER alone. An LLB is equvilant to a JD in terms of what you learn and what it allows you to do, but the JD tends to be more condensed/intensive so that student finish quicker. Thus, someone who did law undergrad at Monash couldn't do a JD anyway.

Streaker

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 02:15:20 pm »
Haha, thanks Erinyy! Yeah I understand the above paragraph. 2.5 Months? I have heard people who dedicated a good few years of their life for it!
I think I'd go crazy if I did that. But hey, if you can study for years, go for it! Especially if you really want to do law.

Someone who does the LLB at Monash doesn't have to sit the LSAT and entry is pretty much based on ENTER alone. An LLB is equvilant to a JD in terms of what you learn and what it allows you to do, but the JD tends to be more condensed/intensive so that student finish quicker. Thus, someone who did law undergrad at Monash couldn't do a JD anyway.

Right...I think I was getting confused between JD and masters...

Makes sense now, thanks.

schmalex

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 04:54:09 pm »
I don't know how helpful this is, but my Dad said he just did a whole lot of past papers, and he did really well on them, better than those who did LSAT prep sessions (which probably don't exist here anyway). Also, his background was politics and history. However, that's just one person, and it was a fecking long time ago.
2009- National Politics (43) Methods (38)
2010- Economics (50) English (44) Literature (38) Introductory Microeconomcis (86) Introductory Macroeconomics (75)
ATAR:98.95

Offering Economics tutoring
http://vce.atarnotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,35848.0.html

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 05:09:38 pm »
Yeah. I think there probably are people who benefit from LSAT prep companies and stuff, but I don't think it's really necessary to do well.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 11:54:40 pm »
I'd recomment the PowerScore LSAT series - theyre good books which you can probably torrent for, i know this is kinda late, but i felt the urge to let others know of it.

lower11

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Samaritans
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 10:55:07 pm »
I remember I did the umat a few years ago and ppl said u cant study for that and now ppl say you have to study for lsat. which is it?

Regards

Complex

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 11:25:53 pm »
I remember I did the umat a few years ago and ppl said u cant study for that and now ppl say you have to study for lsat. which is it?

Regards

The LSAT is a standardized test used to get into the Melbourne Juris Doctor. I dont know if you have to study the LSAT to improve in the UMAT. It could improve your logic and reasoning so maybe thats probably its only advantage. Unlike the UMAT though the LSAT is preparable. You can improve through practice. I am actually sitting it this Sunday coming.

lower11

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Samaritans
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 01:46:17 am »
No I didnt say I am sitting the umat. I am just saying lsat sounds a lot like the umat. Yet ppl say u can study for lsat but not the umat. why is that? They are both aptitude tests arent they?

Complex

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2016, 08:28:26 am »
No I didnt say I am sitting the umat. I am just saying lsat sounds a lot like the umat. Yet ppl say u can study for lsat but not the umat. why is that? They are both aptitude tests arent they?

Theres rules in the LSAT.

For example in the section Logic Games sometimes you get examples of conditional reasoning. Which allows you to presuppose things. You would not learn to do this by not studying. After grinding out examples one would be able to differentiate certain conditions in an example by using such logic thats not appealing to the eye after the first go.

Its a timed test as well, so you can definitely improve in your 'time' that it takes to complete a test.

Leisner78

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2017, 08:23:37 pm »
Hey guys, this LSAT prep thread was quite informative for me. I too will be taking this test soon so will need some tips and guidelines to pass the test. I would like to use Mobile LSAT Prep Course. If anyone here has recommendations, please let me know.