Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 03:56:38 am

Author Topic: SEAS eligibility  (Read 2409 times)  Share 

ringring

• Trailblazer
  • ✞ Philippians 4:13 ✞
  • Respect: 0
SEAS eligibility
« on: July 23, 2017, 05:52:21 pm »
Hey,
Just got a couple of questions regarding SEAS...

1. Would having glandular fever in year 11 be accepted for SEAS category 3-medical condition (I was doing a 3/4 subject at the time)?

2. A family member of mine passed away also when I was in year 11, could I apply for category 4-difficult circumstances?

3. Which types of centrelink payments/benefits are approved for financial disadvantage..(payments are under my parents name not mine)? Also, it says on the SEAS website that my name and relationship to the payment recipient must be on the centrelink statement... would I have to print out the statement, physically write my name and relationship and then scan and attach the document?

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 06:13:43 pm by ringring »
2016: Further Maths

2017: English, Methods, Chemistry, Biology, HHD

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: SEAS eligibility
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 07:16:38 pm »
+5
Hey,
Just got a couple of questions regarding SEAS...

1. Would having glandular fever in year 11 be accepted for SEAS category 3-medical condition (I was doing a 3/4 subject at the time)?

2. A family member of mine passed away also when I was in year 11, could I apply for category 4-difficult circumstances?

3. Which types of centrelink payments/benefits are approved for financial disadvantage..(payments are under my parents name not mine)? Also, it says on the SEAS website that my name and relationship to the payment recipient must be on the centrelink statement... would I have to print out the statement, physically write my name and relationship and then scan and attach the document?

Cheers

Hi ringring :)
Your best bet is to speak to your careers counsellor/whoever deals with tertiary applications at your school, because they'll be able to give some more precise answers :)

The thing with SEAS is that you put in an application, but you never find out whether it's "accepted" or "rejected", so we can't accurately say whether something would be enough to be accepted or not :)

When you apply for SEAS for a medical condition, you need a supporting statement from a medical practitioner, so generally the theme is you have to have experienced/be experiencing the condition in year 12, or have some longer lasting effects from something experienced earlier, because the practitioner needs to be able to see/hear how the condition is affecting/has affected you in your ability to perform your studies to the best of your ability. Again though, this is something I'd have a chat to your careers counsellor about.

With the difficult circumstances, I'd say that'd be well worth applying for :)

In terms of evidence for financial disadvantage, have a thorough read through of this page on the VTAC website: http://www.vtac.edu.au/who/seas/evidence.html - they have a specific section lower down about providing financial evidence.

In the end, if you think something has significantly compromised your ability to carry out your studies, put in a SEAS application for it. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't get approved, and if it doesn't get approved, you won't know for sure so you don't have to worry about getting a disappointing email that tells you your application has been rejected :)

Hope this has helped. :)

kayalsingh

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 06:23:40 pm »
how many seas point do you think I could get for being deaf in one ear.

atar.notes.user

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 10:28:44 pm »
Just have a question, for my supporting statement, can my cousin write it for me? Or will he still be part of 'family'?

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 10:59:51 pm »
how many seas point do you think I could get for being deaf in one ear.
It's impossible to tell - SEAS applications are assessed on a case by case basis :)

Just have a question, for my supporting statement, can my cousin write it for me? Or will he still be part of 'family'?

I believe you can't have any family relations write a supporting statement, so that would also exclude your cousin. :)

I'd say you best bet is to get one of your teachers to write your statement. They don't necessarily need to have been super privy to the things going on in your life, but if you have a trusted teacher, and you sit down and let them know what you're writing about, and what you may want raised, they should be able to help you out :)