Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:53:05 am

Author Topic: Any tips?  (Read 5755 times)  Share 

berryy

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Any tips?
« on: December 11, 2009, 10:50:54 pm »
For those who have done 3+4 Viet, do you have any advice us?
class of 2010!

Shinyumnoodles

Re: Any tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 01:40:07 am »
I did viet last year, didnt do too well. Remember this is my opnion only, but if you were born here.. then viets going to be uber hard. not because of your ability, but because you're competing against heaps of international students that are even pro-er in viet than some teachers. Its quite a disadvantage for second languages >< (most kids in my class who were born here didnt do so well either, even if they were uber smart)

so i guess my advice to you would be.. be the top of the game! get perfect sac scores.. and ace the orals. OMG for orals.. i was asked so many irrelevant stuff (i did Vietnamese women).. and lastly just hope for the best.

goodluck ^^

oysterbb

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 11:36:26 pm »
I agree with Shinyumnoodles.

Just practise, practise, practise.
The thing is, I got mid thirties (I was born in Australia) and 2 of myfriends, who's internationals got even lower than me... so now our assumed theory is kind of disproven for now.

Shinyumnoodles

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 10:01:15 pm »
lol i had low thirties ><, and yeah some internationals got lower than me as well. but ive noticed that those internationals dont really give a damn.. bludging through viet the whole way, thinking they're too good. BUt thing is, those internationals who actually try CAN achieve a high score, as oppose to those born here that try, but still cant rank as high.

or maybe im just better because of my terrible score  T. T

dyaner

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 03:40:23 pm »
Thinking back, the scoring system for Vietnamese is quite... I don't know, ridiculous.
I knew I would have easily achieved 40+ with my A+s last year.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 04:17:19 pm »
+1
you've got two points to beat the internationals on

1) youre probably better translators/interpreters, like i know that personally, i am far better at translating from english to viet and vice versa than many internationals are, which should go your way

2) you can beat them on attitude, most of them just bludge and dont give a damn about it, they just think its too easy, and its not

turtles1

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 11:20:19 pm »
+5
Dont stress, and try ur best. i got a raw 42 and it was by no means easy (quite hard actually), but i went to a crappy school and i just tried really hard. I never stressed though. Just try reading up on viet in the news, and familiarise urself with the language itself. dont learn it like a maths/science. i tried to learn it like learning how to draw. adding the small hints and techniques u pick up along ur journey may be used to help paint a beautiful picture.  Viet is not impossible, but 40+ is very difficult. I only got a reasonable score cause ive been taught intensely since i was 5. dont underestimate viet, try ur best and dont stress and ull defs get a 40+. just think, tonnes of people get it, so why can't you, even if its hard?

Eddiee

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 11:23:03 pm »
+2
Awks..... OP has already graduated :P

KevinooBz

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 11:45:21 pm »
If you want good grades in Vietnamese you have to have a Vietnamese name for example Phuc Dat. I have seen so many Vietnamese 40+'rs with Vietnamese names so you need one. Too bad I'm Kevin but hopefully your English name is your Vietnamese name, if not then it's looking very bleak at this point in time. Also the International Viet's fail at the English component of the exam and also they have this tendencies to make answers that are like 50 pages long because they think the more points they write down means the more higher score they will get. That's why you should ace the English component and only include relevant information in your answers. Best of luck.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:50:57 pm by KevinooBz »

KevinooBz

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 11:53:12 pm »
+2
Wait, holy crap, this thread is like from 2 years ago. Hopefully my advice telepathically enters your mind from the past.

turtles1

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 01:27:30 pm »
Awks..... OP has already graduated :P

hahaha! oh god... yeah i didnt see the date actually. well i guess what i said could b used for future viet students i suppose :D lol epic fail.