Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 03:01:21 am

Author Topic: 2013 Exam Prep Questions Thread - Mod Assistance. Post questions in here.  (Read 38349 times)  Share 

Jaswinder

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: 2013 Exam Prep Questions Thread - Mod Assistance. Post questions in here.
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2013, 02:54:33 pm »
I was looking at A christmas carol propmt 'ACC sets the power of compassion against the drive for profit.' What is this prompt asking for? In terms of paragraphs, how could I structure my response to this prompt? Thanks

Damoz.G

« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2013, 03:08:30 pm »
+1
I was looking at A christmas carol propmt 'ACC sets the power of compassion against the drive for profit.' What is this prompt asking for? In terms of paragraphs, how could I structure my response to this prompt? Thanks

I'm guessing thats from the 2011 Chemology Trial Exam?

I think that the topic is mainly referring to Scrooge and his transformation and redemption. Why is the transformed Scrooge who is helpful and generous more meaningful or "better" way than the Scrooge who always previously thought about money (Which is why his lost love Belle broke up with him)?

How does Dickens deliver this message? Ghosts, teaching his readers, etc.

Hope that helps you out a bit. :)

OutstandingInDivination

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Shiny Ekans is green... Salazar Slytherin is real!
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2013, 03:48:51 pm »
are we allowed to comment on the level of persuasiveness of a particular piece in the conclusion of a LA essay? e.g. 'The VCE president, Ihat Ekids, effectively constructs a largely persuasive piece via the inclusion of... blah blah"
2012-2013: VCE, 99.00 ATAR
2014-2019: MBBS(Hons)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2013, 03:51:49 pm »
+1
Your allowed to do whatever you want, really. You cools structure your piece as a series of four sentence paragraphs and still score well if you had the skills.

I would avoid blanket "the article is persuasive statements" but I think something about the potential for some particular aspect of the article to persuade some particular facet of the audience because xyz could be beneficial
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Jaswinder

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #124 on: October 28, 2013, 05:20:37 pm »
I'm guessing thats from the 2011 Chemology Trial Exam?

I think that the topic is mainly referring to Scrooge and his transformation and redemption. Why is the transformed Scrooge who is helpful and generous more meaningful or "better" way than the Scrooge who always previously thought about money (Which is why his lost love Belle broke up with him)?

How does Dickens deliver this message? Ghosts, teaching his readers, etc.

Hope that helps you out a bit. :)

Cool. Thanks man!

Also even last years prompt! Generosity is not just about the giving of money.’ How is this idea explored in A Christmas Carol?

I found this quite difficult yet the 'more do-able' out of the two. How would you structure this one?

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +287
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2013, 07:13:25 pm »
Get your last minute questions in guys!

Inhibition

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • God of the new world
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2013, 07:24:46 pm »
Hey all,
Just wondering,
How do you conclude a LA to leave a lasting impression on the examiner? I tend not to summarise the arguments presented, but rather give a holistic view of the article (tone, style, e.g)
Also, it is OK to speculate? (e.g. because Mr X so fervently derides the use of ... animal lovers reading are inclined to take action... yad yada yada)

Thanks, and best of luck to everyone !
Veni, vidi, vici

English- 41
Methods-37
Japanese-33
Chemistry-42
Biology-44
Physics-39
2013 ATAR: 97.10
Dux of KDC

2014: BSci at UoM

play

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2013, 07:30:14 pm »
For LA should you comment on the writer/speaker's credibility? I've read that you should but I've been marked down for it in the past.

Also, in expository essays is it okay to refer to real examples in a general manner? Again, I've been marked down for not referring to and quoting specific articles written about events because making more general references to events appears less 'researched' and more derived from general knowledge.

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #128 on: October 29, 2013, 07:31:33 pm »
+1
Hey all,
Just wondering,
How do you conclude a LA to leave a lasting impression on the examiner? I tend not to summarise the arguments presented, but rather give a holistic view of the article (tone, style, e.g)
Also, it is OK to speculate? (e.g. because Mr X so fervently derides the use of ... animal lovers reading are inclined to take action... yad yada yada)

Thanks, and best of luck to everyone !

Yep, just give a holistic, all-round view of the article. Briefly explain what the writer's/speaker's overall approach to persuasion was. For example, did they make readers feel guilty and then lift their spirits back up, to make them proactive and responsible?

And yes to the 2nd question, your whole language analysis is all about speculating. You don't know that all readers will react in the same way or be affected in the same way. So all your intended effect statements should not be absolute, but should use words like 'likely to' and 'may' etc. Good luck!

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2013, 07:35:48 pm »
+1
For LA should you comment on the writer/speaker's credibility? I've read that you should but I've been marked down for it in the past.

Also, in expository essays is it okay to refer to real examples in a general manner? Again, I've been marked down for not referring to and quoting specific articles written about events because making more general references to events appears less 'researched' and more derived from general knowledge.

Yes, always a good idea to discuss credibility and authority, especially when there's a byline like 'Professor Lee is a .... at ...' etc. Discuss how the credibility is used and how it makes readers or listeners more likely to warm to the argument, and also what they're likely to think and feel.

Yes, ALL examples in your expository should have quotes and evidence to support (bar personal anecdotes obviously). You should have at least 3 or 4 quotes to support examples. Know a few good movies and songs so that you can use these in the exam - the quotes will be extremely easy to memorise obviously. But don't write on too many songs and movies, I would suggest talking about 3 examples from the text, plus 1 song, 1 movie and 1 historical event.

Many English teachers are also History and Humanities teachers, so if you discussed Stolen Generations as an example without quotes, they wouldn't be too happy. No quotes also make the essay seem less reliable & examiners will be less likely to 'believe' what you're saying. For this reason, I steer clear of personal anecdotes since they are (1) corny and (2) not as believable. Good luck!