Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:01:40 pm

Author Topic: Best way to study for Modern History???  (Read 3632 times)  Share 

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Best way to study for Modern History???
« on: October 24, 2017, 05:29:58 pm »
Okay, so a friend of mine from the 2016 year 12 has given me the 17 pages of her WW1 notes. Whats the best way to use these to help me in studying for World War 1?
Literally any help would be appreciated!
Like, do i set about memorising them, but just looking at them again. Do i cover them up, attempt to remember them and write them again on different paper.
I am not really sure so literally ANY method of study that you can think of that would be useful (given i already have a fiarly extensive copy of WW1 notes already).
Note: I may already have WW1 notes, but for any other topic in Modern History i may end up doing (assuming that i first have to write some initial notes) I would also like some advice on how to study for.

ANY AND EVERY BIT OF ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE ME WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, THANKYOU!!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:36:34 pm by Mada438 »
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: Best way to study for Modern History???
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 10:09:41 pm »
+4
Honestly the best way to study heavy content subjects such as Modern History is by doing past questions. This way the information gets ingrained as you are applying the information into your answer rather than reading your notes and forgetting them immediately. Seeing that you already have notes for WW1, this part would be easy to do. As for your other topics, do concise notes. Put them all in dot points, have sources (I'm guessing Ancient is very similar to Modern) and then again apply them to past questions.

But if you don't have time to do past questions, another good way to study is to say your notes out loud and/or teach someone else. By reading your notes out loud ensures that your brain actually reads every word rather than skimming through it. When you teach other people, this allows you to 'prove your points' and if they ask any question about your topic, this allows for the development of your argument and knowledge.

Hope this helps :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 10:22:47 pm »
+4
hey! beatroot has pretty much hit the nail on the head - past papers! past papers! past papers! i'm not going to sugarcoat it and say it's not time consuming, but it is, and the more practice you do, the better you'll get. also make sure to hand them up to your teacher. :-)

ww1 is a source-based study, so interpretation of sources is a huge part of this section. once again, practice really helps. the more you do, the better! you have ww1 notes, awesome! focus on memorising detail, because heaps of the questions ask for your own knowledge, and detail is a huge part of that. there's some guide out there here on AN which gives a quick rundown of how to memorise detail, and if you check out the notes tab, there's a detail table created by susie, the modern lecturer here!

as for your other options, i highly recommend doing your notes throughout the year. sure, it's really tedious, but doing this will ensure you don't have to write notes as your study before an exam. this way, when you're doing past papers closer to the exam, you have your notes already done to refer to. it's also really satisfying to finish writing a set of notes :-)

also, i can't emphasise how good teaching others and answering questions here. participating on the forums and answering your friends' questions is a really great way to study because you're actually applying your knowledge.

hope this helps :-) modern is such a great subject - you'll have an absolute ball this term and the coming year!

best of luck for year 12,
fantasticbeasts
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 07:31:23 pm »
+2
Thankyou so much guys!!!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU