Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:36:37 pm

Author Topic: Can I decline an interview?  (Read 8049 times)  Share 

yourfriendlyneighbourhoodghost

• Forum Obsessive
  • sleep now and dream, study now and live your dream
  • Respect: +34
Can I decline an interview?
« on: November 21, 2019, 12:58:00 pm »
+1
Hi wonderful people of ATAR Notes,

So... I just got an email regarding a bachelor of Fine Arts course I had applied for. The thing is, i changed my mind after VTAC closed admissions. It was my first choice, just a backup, and i am sure i do not want to do fine arts at uni. But the uni wants me to do an interview because i got shortlisted, however, i dont want to take up the place in the course that someone else might really want, can i decline the position?
2018: Studio Arts [37]
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]
ATAR: 87.95 ❤️

2020-2023 Bachelor of Arts @ Unimelb

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
Re: Can I decline an interview?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 01:01:20 pm »
+6
Hi wonderful people of ATAR Notes,

So... I just got an email regarding a bachelor of Fine Arts course I had applied for. The thing is, i changed my mind after VTAC closed admissions. It was my first choice, just a backup, and i am sure i do not want to do fine arts at uni. But the uni wants me to do an interview because i got shortlisted, however, i dont want to take up the place in the course that someone else might really want, can i decline the position?
You can absolutely decline a university's proposition, and not feel bad about it at all. You're not under any duress. Unis often have heaps candidates to be shortlisted, which will include backups. If you don't accept your interview position will be given to someone else. So if you're absolutely sure you don't want it, don't stress.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 01:54:15 pm »
You can absolutely decline a university's proposition, and not feel bad about it at all. You're not under any duress. Unis often have heaps candidates to be shortlisted, which will include backups. If you don't accept your interview position will be given to someone else. So if you're absolutely sure you don't want it, don't stress.

Okay that's good, how exactly do I decline? They did send an email to be contacted by, would I just tell them through there?
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 01:58:44 pm »
+7
Okay that's good, how exactly do I decline? They did send an email to be contacted by, would I just tell them through there?
Yep! If they give you a contact email or phone number, just reply or call stating that you're no longer interested. They will have your details and if not they will get back to you and ask you some details to make sure your withdrawal of interest is done correctly.

Otherwise most invites will have a deadline you would need to respond to anyway, and if you did not respond by the deadline they would move on to a different candidate.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 03:00:49 pm »
+4
I helped out with interviews for my course last year & I can guarantee they'll really appreciate you keeping them know rather than just not showing up :)

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 12:09:52 pm »
Yep! If they give you a contact email or phone number, just reply or call stating that you're no longer interested. They will have your details and if not they will get back to you and ask you some details to make sure your withdrawal of interest is done correctly.

Otherwise most invites will have a deadline you would need to respond to anyway, and if you did not respond by the deadline they would move on to a different candidate.
Okay, thank you for your help :)

I helped out with interviews for my course last year & I can guarantee they'll really appreciate you keeping them know rather than just not showing up :)

Yeah, I shall inform them. If you dont mind me asking, how did you help? and what course were the interviews for? :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 09:52:29 am »
+3
Okay, thank you for your help :)

Yeah, I shall inform them. If you dont mind me asking, how did you help? and what course were the interviews for? :)

Mostly I was discussing the course with applicants and answering questions they had about global challenges (my course) :)