Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:34:19 am

Author Topic: University high school ACE entry test. HELP!  (Read 2127 times)  Share 

Miss_nacii101

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • ~A half-read book is a half-finished love affair~
  • Respect: 0
  • School: JMSS
  • School Grad Year: 2016
University high school ACE entry test. HELP!
« on: July 11, 2013, 09:50:24 pm »
My sister is going to try out for the Univeristy highschool ACE program. I hear it's really hard (since only 20 studnts are accepted). I know that there are tuition courses designed for these tests, but they are very expensive and my family cannot afford to pay for that. So I'm just wondering what topics in Maths do you need to know and how does the whole application process work?  Any information would be immensely appreciated ^_^

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +81
Re: University high school ACE entry test. HELP!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 09:55:51 pm »
My sister is going to try out for the Univeristy highschool ACE program. I hear it's really hard (since only 20 studnts are accepted). I know that there are tuition courses designed for these tests, but they are very expensive and my family cannot afford to pay for that. So I'm just wondering what topics in Maths do you need to know and how does the whole application process work?  Any information would be immensely appreciated ^_^
wait what, back in my day they had 2 accel classes of like 20 each?
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 10:02:20 pm »
+1
Yeah when I went there there were two classes of 20-ish with each class being in a different house (and the one at Chapman was always the best! :P). I'd try out some of the Jim Coroneos that are targeted at selective program entry, they're comparatively cheap (like $20 each max).

Good luck to your sister.

Regards.

Miss_nacii101

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • ~A half-read book is a half-finished love affair~
  • Respect: 0
  • School: JMSS
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 10:09:17 pm »
wait what, back in my day they had 2 accel classes of like 20 each?

So two classes eh? Yay! I guess 40 is better than 20 :)

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 10:18:53 pm »
So two classes eh? Yay! I guess 40 is better than 20 :)
The Ability tests
Ability tests are designed to measure a child's ability to think, reason and solve problems, without necessarily relying on prior knowledge. Ability generally predicts how quickly a child will be able to learn and the level of complexity they can comfortably deal with.
1. Verbal Reasoning: measures the ability to think and reason using words and language. This includes vocabulary, word relationships, classification and deduction. (30 minutes in length)
2. Numerical Reasoning: measures the ability to think and reason using numbers. This includes series, matrices, arithmetical reasoning and deduction. (30 minutes in length)
The Achievement tests
Achievement tests are designed to measure actual achievement or performance in some key academic areas. Achievement scores are influenced by a child's ability, as well as the application and practice of knowledge that has been learned.
3. Reading Comprehension: measures the capacity to read and interpret meaning from written passages, as well as correct, complete and punctuate sentences. (30 minutes in length)
4. Mathematics: measures year-level appropriate mathematical knowledge, including items tapping numbers, measurement, algebra, space and data. (30 minutes in length)
5. Written Expression: this test assesses the ability to convey ideas clearly in written form. Punctuation, creativity, construction, grammar, spelling and relevance to the task are assessed. (15 minutes in length)
It must be remembered that scholarship and entrance exams are quite demanding and are designed to discriminate students at the top end.

^above is from the unihigh website. I'd recommend looking into the topics outlined above, getting your sister to read widely and have a good vocabulary (maybe start learning difficult words each day, I vaguely remember doing something like this). I also think there were free practice tests floating around, so look into those too.
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020