Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:35:54 pm

Author Topic: Components of Atkinson-Shiffrin multi-store model  (Read 3606 times)  Share 

#J.Procrastinator

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Components of Atkinson-Shiffrin multi-store model
« on: October 19, 2013, 04:01:43 pm »
In the Grivas text book, is states that "The Atkinson-Shiffrin multi-store model represents memory as consisting of three distinguishable components called the sensory register, the short-term store and the long-term store".

In an Engage Education exam, the question asked:

According to the Atkinson and Shiffrin mutli-store model, wht are the three components to memory?

a) sensory register, short term memory, long term memory
b) iconic, echoic, auditory
c) procedural, declarative, episodic
d) sensory memory, short term memory, long term memory

Learning from the textbook I chose a.. But my teacher says it's d?? Which is right?!
2015-2017: Bachelor of Science @ UoM

HossRyams

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +30
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: Components of Atkinson-Shiffrin multi-store model
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 04:35:35 pm »
That's odd, I recall it being a) as well.
._.
Arts & Law student @ Monash.

Charmz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +16
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 04:42:03 pm »
I'd have gone with a) as well. I suggest you go by what the book says but i know that sometimes people use sensory memory and sensory register interchangeably although I don't know if that's correct. 

#J.Procrastinator

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 04:44:51 pm »
The solutions say that it's d. Unless the textbook is incorrect.. o.o

HossRyams

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 04:45:51 pm »
Referring to my notes, sensory register is a part of the model, defined as: "entry point of all new information into memory. Any information attended to in the sensory register will be transferred into the short-term store. If not, it memory trace/neural imprint decays and completely disappears. Some information can go directly to the long-term store."

And sensory memory is: the entry point of memory where new incoming sensory information is stored for a brief period of time. If we attend this information, it can be part of short-term memory
  • it stores sensory impressions long enough for each impression to slightly overlap the next hence resulting in a continuous perception of the world
  • stored information are in ‘raw’ form (not yet encoded)
  • sometimes suggested to have unlimited capacity
  • remains sensory information long enough for us to attend and select what we want to send to STM – most of the information we neglect and are not conscious of
  • information is assumed to be stored in different sensory registers which retain information for different periods of times and have different types of stimuli (hearing or visual) eg. Echoic sensory register, iconic etc.

... So it's similar LOL

(I used both Grivas and Oxford)

Damoz.G

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 04:49:22 pm »
Yeah, its a.

Must be a mistake by Engage - Pretty common by them. =/

HossRyams

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 04:52:15 pm »
Yeah, its a.

Must be a mistake by Engage - Pretty common by them. =/

^^^ So true. I went to one of their lectures last year and found too many errors in their notes

Damoz.G

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 05:06:15 pm »
^^^ So true. I went to one of their lectures last year and found too many errors in their notes

Yeah, and its odd because unlike Maths subjects or something, Psych is not a subject that involves calculations or anything where mistakes can be made (Especially if they are just copying notes and summarising them).

#J.Procrastinator

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 05:08:15 pm »
We kind of had a discussion in class about this, and she says that it's sensory memory. If anyone finds a similar example in a VCAA exam, can they post it up please?

And thank you all for the help! Much appreciated :)

Damoz.G

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 05:16:14 pm »
If anyone finds a similar example in a VCAA exam, can they post it up please?

And thank you all for the help! Much appreciated :)

CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!

It is Sensory Memory (as we have mentioned and discussed), but option a says Sensory REGISTER!!! We're reading the options incorrectly - It's that one word that put us off. Hate it when its the change of one word that makes a difference in the answer for Psych. GRRR! So the answer is option d, as Engage and your teacher have both mentioned.

They actually had a VERY similar Question on last year's mid-year exam (Multiple Choice - Question 18).
Link: http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/psychology/2012/2012psych1-w.pdf
Examiner's Report: http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/psychology/Psych1_assessrep_12.pdf

The answer to VCAA 2012 Exam 1 - MC 18 is A.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 05:20:08 pm by Damoz. »

#J.Procrastinator

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 05:22:08 pm »
CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!

It is Sensory Memory (as we have mentioned and discussed), but option a says Sensory REGISTER!!! We're reading the options incorrectly - It's that one word that put us off. Hate it when its the change of one word that makes a difference in the answer for Psych. GRRR! So the answer is option d, as Engage and your teacher have both mentioned.

They actually had a VERY similar Question on last year's mid-year exam (Multiple Choice - Question 18).
Link: http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/psychology/2012/2012psych1-w.pdf
Examiner's Report: http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/psychology/Psych1_assessrep_12.pdf

The answer to VCAA 2012 Exam 1 - MC 18 is A.

So the three components are:
sensory memory, short-term memory, and long-term memory?

The book says it's sensory register, so that's the reason why students get confused with this question. Anyway, thank you for your help and for taking the time to find the question! :)

Damoz.G

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 05:27:13 pm »
So the three components are:
sensory memory, short-term memory, and long-term memory?

The book says it's sensory register, so that's the reason why students get confused with this question. Anyway, thank you for your help and for taking the time to find the question! :)

Hmmm...what Textbook are you using? I'm using the Grivas one (Macmillian). It actually does say Sensory Register in my textbook. However, if the VCAA Exam says Sensory Memory (Because there are no options for MC Q18 that have Sensory REGISTER), then we should go with that.

May be I'll e-mail my teacher and find out if there is a difference or not between Sensory Register and Sensory Memory. She usually replies pretty quickly (Probably by tonight).

Could you please give me the link for the Engage Education Practice Exam, and the Link for the solutions please? I could go and look for it, but I'll have to go through the whole paper to find the question.

#J.Procrastinator

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 05:40:22 pm »
Hmmm...what Textbook are you using? I'm using the Grivas one (Macmillian). It actually does say Sensory Register in my textbook. However, if the VCAA Exam says Sensory Memory (Because there are no options for MC Q18 that have Sensory REGISTER), then we should go with that.

May be I'll e-mail my teacher and find out if there is a difference or not between Sensory Register and Sensory Memory. She usually replies pretty quickly (Probably by tonight).

Could you please give me the link for the Engage Education Practice Exam, and the Link for the solutions please? I could go and look for it, but I'll have to go through the whole paper to find the question.

I'm using the Grivas macmillan one too.

Exam: http://engageeducation.org.au/engagedownloads/Practice%20Exams/2013/Psychology/Exam.pdf (question 24)

Solutions: http://engageeducation.org.au/engagedownloads/Practice%20Exams/2013/Psychology/Exam.pdf

There you go!

Damoz.G

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 05:42:43 pm »
Thank you. I'll e-mail my teacher now, and I should get a reply back by tonight. I'll post back here when she replies. :)