Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:01:50 am

Author Topic: Simple Question  (Read 554 times)  Share 

regitree

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Simple Question
« on: October 18, 2019, 03:10:14 pm »
Hi there! I have two questions.
If you were to have to do VCE in a year where a new study design for a subject just came out that year/year before, would it be slightly harder than for a person who was doing VCE where the study design has been around for 4-5 years and hasn't changed yet.

Also, if the study design changes (for example, this year), does that mean the past exams will not be as similar to this years exams compared to two different years where the study design hasn't changed?
Thanks!

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Simple Question
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 07:57:03 pm »
+1
A belated welcome to AN, Regitree!

I think this is more of a Victorian Education question, but never fear! I’m more than happy to move this thread over for you. :) It usually takes a little while to get used to the myriad of boards and threads AN has, so it’s totally understandable.

That being said, I’m also happy to answer the questions you have.

If you were to have to do VCE in a year where a new study design for a subject just came out that year/year before, would it be slightly harder than for a person who was doing VCE where the study design has been around for 4-5 years and hasn't changed yet.
Not really, actually. If the study design changes, it means the entire state will likely experience difficulties in that subject (which I’ll call Subject X) due to the changes. When they calculate your SS for Subject X, you’re ranked against and compared only to students in the state who took Subject X that year. Thus, since everyone who took Subject X will probably have difficulties, your ranking doesn’t really change, so you’d get the same SS as you would’ve if the study design hadn’t changed in a few years, if that makes sense.

Also, if the study design changes (for example, this year), does that mean the past exams will not be as similar to this years exams compared to two different years where the study design hasn't changed?
Yes, but it depends on the extent of the changes to the study design. Most years, there’s not a huge overhaul, so you could probably still use the previous exams and skip the questions that are no longer relevant. In years that do have a huge overhaul, usually the sample exams, company exams and NHT exams (where available) might be your best bet at relevant questions.

We usually have some threads on what questions are still relevant in the current study design for some of the most popular subjects, like Methods and Biology, so if you hunt around AN, you’ll probably be able to find one helpful to you.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 08:00:33 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread