Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:21:39 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469819 times)  Share 

emmaline

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #945 on: November 01, 2017, 05:43:11 pm »
+1
what specifically do we need to know about the hippocampus and the hypothalamus for the psych exam?

theONEandONLY1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #946 on: November 01, 2017, 05:53:34 pm »
Would being given a photo of year 6 classmates and being asked to recall the names of the individuals be an example of cued-recall or recognition (I am pretty confident that it is cued-recall but of the practice exams says otherwise).

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #947 on: November 01, 2017, 05:54:57 pm »
+2
Would being given a photo of year 6 classmates and being asked to recall the names of the individuals be an example of cued-recall or recognition (I am pretty confident that it is cued-recall but of the practice exams says otherwise).

Cued recall; you're not merely selecting the correct option out of a list of options, as would be the case with recognition.

(Disclaimer: has been a while, happy to be corrected.)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

isobelj

• Trailblazer
« Reply #948 on: November 01, 2017, 05:59:54 pm »
PLEASE HELP!

Does the hippocampus/cerebellum/amygdala also retrieve memories?

Does the cerebral cortex permanently store procedural memories, or just temporarily store them?

From Grivas textbook: 'the hippocampus probably has a role in the retrieval of explicit memories.' So, if possible, I probably wouldn't mention the hippocampus having a role in retrieval. The textbook also doesn't mention the amygdala or the cerebellum having a role in retrieving memories either.

Yeah, procedural memories are permanently stored in the cerebral cortex. They're temporarily stored in the cerebellum :)

what specifically do we need to know about the hippocampus and the hypothalamus for the psych exam?

You must know about: the hippocampus' role in consolidation, the influence on long term memory if it is damaged, and the hypothalamus' role in the HPA axis.

Pretty sure that's it, but if there's anything I missed please add on!!

emmaline

• Adventurer
« Reply #949 on: November 01, 2017, 06:07:41 pm »
Do we need to know anything about the role of the thalamus?

Mariamnourine

• Forum Regular
  • Be a voice, not an Echo
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #950 on: November 01, 2017, 06:13:11 pm »
Cued recall; you're not merely selecting the correct option out of a list of options, as would be the case with recognition.

(Disclaimer: has been a while, happy to be corrected.)

Correct Joseph41!

it is recognition because there are other options available [for example the names of other students in your class]

f it was cued recall, they would give you the beggining of each students name and tell you to remember it.
2017: TT, Psychology, Further, English, BusMan

2018 : Nursing [Clinical leadership] /midwifery @ Deakin

You can't always win, but don't be afraid to fail.

Mariamnourine

• Forum Regular
  • Be a voice, not an Echo
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #951 on: November 01, 2017, 06:15:25 pm »
 was just wondering, how would we apply the CBT to a person with sleep onset insomnia,
Like I get the behavioral; component, but what kind of thoughts would you be challenging with them in the cognitive component??
2017: TT, Psychology, Further, English, BusMan

2018 : Nursing [Clinical leadership] /midwifery @ Deakin

You can't always win, but don't be afraid to fail.

Globe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #952 on: November 01, 2017, 06:20:11 pm »
Correct Joseph41!

it is recognition because there are other options available [for example the names of other students in your class]

f it was cued recall, they would give you the beggining of each students name and tell you to remember it.

I'm pretty sure it's actually cued recall and not recognition, because you're trying to retrieve the names of people, and therefore the photo of the classmates faces would serve as a cue to aid the recall of the name. If it was recognition, than a list of names would be presented of the year six classmates names.

2017: | Psychology [41->40] |
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |
Atar: 96.55 :)

isobelj

• Trailblazer
« Reply #953 on: November 01, 2017, 06:24:57 pm »
was just wondering, how would we apply the CBT to a person with sleep onset insomnia,
Like I get the behavioral; component, but what kind of thoughts would you be challenging with them in the cognitive component??

They may be having thoughts such as 'if there were nothing wrong with me, I'd be able to sleep' or 'I'll never get to sleep', which will only cause frustration, anger, and anxiety, causing further difficulties sleeping. Through CBT these thoughts can be challenged, such as replacing them with logical thoughts like 'even people with sleep-onset insomnia will get to sleep eventually' or 'I always fall asleep eventually, even if it takes awhile, I just have to wait' to aid relaxation and promote sleep.

Globe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #954 on: November 01, 2017, 06:25:11 pm »
How would you use bright light therapy to get a person to feel tired at 10:00 pm and not 12:00 AM,

How would you use bright light therapy to get a person to feel tired at 12:00 AM and not 10:00 PM.

Thanks
2017: | Psychology [41->40] |
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |
Atar: 96.55 :)

oJL8A99A

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #955 on: November 01, 2017, 06:27:44 pm »

During the cognitive component, you challenge the dysfunctional thoughts that might inhibit them from sleeping and replace them with desirable thoughts. For example, a year 12 student with sleep-onset insomnia might worry about not being able to sleep at night which may cause them to wake up late and miss their exam or sleep deprivation may cause them to fail their exam. This might cause them to have trouble sleeping at night and not be able to sleep for 30+ minutes after they get in bed, a symptom of sleep-onset insomnia. CBT removes those dysfunctional thoughts, such as by reminding the person that they've never missed an exam before and have had a great average throughout the year, and therefore the likelihood of them missing the exam or failing is very low. Obviously behavioral is sleep-hygiene (good sleep habits) and stimulus control therapy (associate the bed with sleeping)

Good luck for tomorrow :)

jrose006

• Trailblazer
« Reply #956 on: November 01, 2017, 06:30:59 pm »
Can someone please explain reappraisal? Thanks!

oJL8A99A

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #957 on: November 01, 2017, 06:31:57 pm »
+1
How would you use bright light therapy to get a person to feel tired at 10:00 pm and not 12:00 AM,

How would you use bright light therapy to get a person to feel tired at 12:00 AM and not 10:00 PM.

Thanks

The idea of BLT is that you administer the light when the individual would usually be asleep, shifting their sleep-wake cycle.
Your first example refers to DELAYED circadian rhythm phase disorder (such as with adolescence). Administer BLT at around 6am or in the morning when the individual would usually be asleep, allowing them to stay awake during that time and shifting their sleep-wake cycle FORWARD to the desirable time.

Second example is ADVANCED circadian rhythm phase disorder (shift work/jet lag when travelling west/elderly sleep patterns). Administer BLT at 6pm, when the individual is close to going asleep. This allows them to continue to stay awake when they would usually be asleep, shifting their sleep-wake cycle BACKWARDS to the time they should be going to sleep.

oJL8A99A

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #958 on: November 01, 2017, 06:35:41 pm »
+1

Can someone please explain reappraisal? Thanks!

Reappraisal isn't in the study design for Lazarus and Folkman so you don't need to know it. Pretty sure it's just an individual evaluating the significance of the situation again (for primary) and re-evaluating coping resources (for secondary). But 100% not mentioned so I wouldn't worry about it :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #959 on: November 01, 2017, 06:37:11 pm »
+1
I'm pretty sure it's actually cued recall and not recognition, because you're trying to retrieve the names of people, and therefore the photo of the classmates faces would serve as a cue to aid the recall of the name. If it was recognition, than a list of names would be presented of the year six classmates names.

Agreed - this is what I was contending earlier.

Perhaps poorly worded.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.