Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:06:58 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469801 times)  Share 

Globe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #825 on: October 29, 2017, 10:34:38 pm »
Does the Cerebral Cortext only store long-term explicit memories? It doesn't have any involvement in Implicit memories right?
2017: | Psychology [41->40] |
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |
Atar: 96.55 :)

syubi

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #826 on: October 30, 2017, 12:39:28 am »
Does the Cerebral Cortext only store long-term explicit memories? It doesn't have any involvement in Implicit memories right?

Yes, the cerebral cortex only stores explicit memories. The cerebellum is involved in the encoding and storage of implicit procedural memories.

• Trailblazer
« Reply #827 on: October 30, 2017, 09:11:55 am »
Yes, the cerebral cortex only stores explicit memories. The cerebellum is involved in the encoding and storage of implicit procedural memories.

Actually I learned that the cerebral cortex stores well-learned implicit memories and that the cerebellum only encodes and temporarily stores implicit memories? Not sure which is right.

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #828 on: October 30, 2017, 09:18:53 am »
Actually I learned that the cerebral cortex stores well-learned implicit memories and that the cerebellum only encodes and temporarily stores implicit memories? Not sure which is right.

I learned this as well; that the cerebellum initially forms and temporarily stores procedural memories, and is then transferred to the cerebral cortex for long term storage. Cerebellum also forms and stores simple reflexes acquired through classical conditioning.
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #829 on: October 30, 2017, 09:31:31 am »
Hi guys,
With Little Albert and the ethical considerations that would have been breached/upheld, multiple exams are giving conflicting answers on which ones were breached, for example, some say that there was informed consent, but others say that there was not.

What would be the safest answers to go with apart from the 'no psychological harm to participants' and the lack of debriefing to extinguish his fear response?
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #830 on: October 30, 2017, 10:22:24 am »
Guys, for the role of the stress response in contributing the development of a specific phobia, does that refer to the stress response being triggered for an irrational fear? so the response is extreme? but how does this contribute to the development?

Same for long term potentiation in the development of a specific phobia? Does this refer to constantly thinking about the fear? because wouldn't exposure to the fear help them to overcome it?
I'm just trying here but not completely sure how these link to specific phobia.

• Trailblazer
« Reply #831 on: October 30, 2017, 11:21:43 am »
Hi guys,
With Little Albert and the ethical considerations that would have been breached/upheld, multiple exams are giving conflicting answers on which ones were breached, for example, some say that there was informed consent, but others say that there was not.

What would be the safest answers to go with apart from the 'no psychological harm to participants' and the lack of debriefing to extinguish his fear response?

I would say confidentially as his pictures, and the results of the study, were released to the general public without his mother's consent.

jrose006

• Trailblazer
« Reply #832 on: October 30, 2017, 11:24:43 am »
Hi guys,

I would also say withdrawal rights, as even after Little Albert showed severe distress, Watson made no effort to end the experiment. Also, little Albert attempted to crawl away many times but they just pulled him back in.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 11:30:14 am by jrose006 »

nm2xo

• Adventurer
« Reply #833 on: October 30, 2017, 11:37:27 am »
Can someone please explain the role of the amygdala and the cerebellum in the role of classically conditioned memory?
Is the amygdala for the memory of it, and the cerebellum for the reflex? I'm so confused! Thanks :D

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #834 on: October 30, 2017, 11:56:38 am »
Can someone please explain the role of the amygdala and the cerebellum in the role of classically conditioned memory?
Is the amygdala for the memory of it, and the cerebellum for the reflex? I'm so confused! Thanks :D
The amygdala is responsible for emotional (esp fear) classically conditioned reflexes
The cerebellum is responsible for simple motor classically conditioned reflexes

• Trailblazer
« Reply #835 on: October 30, 2017, 12:22:13 pm »
Guys, for the role of the stress response in contributing the development of a specific phobia, does that refer to the stress response being triggered for an irrational fear? so the response is extreme? but how does this contribute to the development?

Same for long term potentiation in the development of a specific phobia? Does this refer to constantly thinking about the fear? because wouldn't exposure to the fear help them to overcome it?
I'm just trying here but not completely sure how these link to specific phobia.

Yes, could someone explain this as I don't know how to talk about LTP and the stress response for phobia??

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #836 on: October 30, 2017, 12:42:51 pm »
+1
Yes, could someone explain this as I don't know how to talk about LTP and the stress response for phobia??

LTP:
-'fire together wire together'
-Repeated activation of neural pathways increases the synaptic strength of connections within it, making this pathway easier to activate in the future
LTP w/ fear response
-"fear pathways" (dont use this term in exam, this is just to explain) are activated, increasing synaptic strength in pathways connecting the stimulus to fearful feelings, behaviours and thoughts, and increases synaptic strength within pathways responsible for fear, anxiety etc aswell
-This increases the likelihood of activation of these pathways in the future
-Basically it becomes a viscous cycle

syubi

• Trailblazer
« Reply #837 on: October 30, 2017, 01:11:46 pm »
I learned this as well; that the cerebellum initially forms and temporarily stores procedural memories, and is then transferred to the cerebral cortex for long term storage. Cerebellum also forms and stores simple reflexes acquired through classical conditioning.

Ooh, I'm not too sure then!! I might check with my teacher on that one.

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #838 on: October 30, 2017, 03:08:14 pm »
LTP:
-'fire together wire together'
-Repeated activation of neural pathways increases the synaptic strength of connections within it, making this pathway easier to activate in the future
LTP w/ fear response
-"fear pathways" (dont use this term in exam, this is just to explain) are activated, increasing synaptic strength in pathways connecting the stimulus to fearful feelings, behaviours and thoughts, and increases synaptic strength within pathways responsible for fear, anxiety etc aswell
-This increases the likelihood of activation of these pathways in the future
-Basically it becomes a viscous cycle

Makes sense but is the stimulation of the neural pathway responsible for fear due to them constantly thinking about it or actual exposure to the stimulus. Because wouldn't exposure to the stimulus help them to overcome it through desensitization?

Also, what about the stress response?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #839 on: October 30, 2017, 04:08:14 pm »
Makes sense but is the stimulation of the neural pathway responsible for fear due to them constantly thinking about it or actual exposure to the stimulus. Because wouldn't exposure to the stimulus help them to overcome it through desensitization?

Also, what about the stress response?

When someone with phobia is exposed to the stimulus, they may engage in catastrophic thinking, experience the FFF response etc and rather than becoming desensitised the phobia can be reinforced.
Rumination (dwelling on it without deciding on a solution) works hand-in-hand with LTP

Experiencing the stress response may involve hyperventilation, which can then increase the person's panic and potentially induce a panic attack. The stress response is maladaptive in specific phobia as the adrenaline, pounding heart etc. won't actually help the person - normal functioning is being suspended for no good reason. The person may then associate the phobic stimulus with FFF through classical conditioning, leading to it always being activated in the presence of the stimulus.