Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:03:29 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469681 times)  Share 

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #405 on: January 02, 2017, 06:26:19 pm »
Hi,
I'm picking up psych as a 3/4 in 2017 and did bio 3/4 last year.

Does psych require the same level of interpretation and application as bio does?
Should I approach psych in a similar way as people generally approach bio?

Thanks!

Hey there! I'm not greatly familiar with the requirements for Biology, however I would say that Psychology assessments (especially the exam) place an emphasis on applying your knowledge to a scenario/case study, with information that you will need to decipher and interpret.
Best of luck!
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

isobelj

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #406 on: February 10, 2017, 03:39:10 pm »
In one part of my textbook cortisol is explained as slowing tissue repair and the healing of wounds, but in other part it says (quote) that 'corticosteroids such as cortisol ... are released into the bloodstream to further energise the body and help repair any damage that may have occurred'. I'm just confused, can someone explain this please? Have I missed out on something? Thanks  :)

akka13722

• Fresh Poster
  • School: goulburn valley grammar
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #407 on: February 24, 2017, 10:00:42 pm »
In one part of my textbook cortisol is explained as slowing tissue repair and the healing of wounds, but in other part it says (quote) that 'corticosteroids such as cortisol ... are released into the bloodstream to further energise the body and help repair any damage that may have occurred'. I'm just confused, can someone explain this please? Have I missed out on something? Thanks  :)

I believe that when cortisol is released it's not used for the functions it normally undertakes (maintaining the immune system especially), hence the reduced immunity after exposure to a chronic stressor is because cortisol is no longer doing its previous job, not that it actually causes slower healing directly.

pha0015

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #408 on: March 29, 2017, 02:54:32 pm »
I'd like to know the reasoning behind the answer to this question:
Situation (paraphrased from SAC): Jane's son is sent to jail. Jane decides to take time off work and starts to take up drinking. A few months later, she realises that it isn't helping her cope.
Question (I don't fully remember, so it's something along the lines of ==>): What stage of appraisal is it when she realises that drinking isn't helping?
The correct answer: secondary appraisal
My answer: primary appraisal
There was no option for reappraisal

Is the answer "secondary appraisal" correct because reappraisal happens in secondary appraisal instead of primary appraisal?

Thanks

keke

« Reply #409 on: March 29, 2017, 03:08:52 pm »
I'd like to know the reasoning behind the answer to this question:
Situation (paraphrased from SAC): Jane's son is sent to jail. Jane decides to take time off work and starts to take up drinking. A few months later, she realises that it isn't helping her cope.
Question (I don't fully remember, so it's something along the lines of ==>): What stage of appraisal is it when she realises that drinking isn't helping?
The correct answer: secondary appraisal
My answer: primary appraisal
There was no option for reappraisal

Is the answer "secondary appraisal" correct because reappraisal happens in secondary appraisal instead of primary appraisal?

Thanks

Secondary appraisal is the answer since it's about making judgements of how you deal with the stressor/stress, which in Jane's case is realising that drinking isn't helping her cope. Primary appraisal can't be the answer as that's about making judgements on whether if a stressor is irrelevant, benign-positive or stressful. In your question's context, Jane has already perceived the situation as stressful so she has already passed the primary appraisal stage.

Reappraisal also isn't correct as it's essentially primary appraisal repeated.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:12:30 pm by keke »

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #410 on: March 29, 2017, 09:14:07 pm »
Hi!
Could someone please explain what 'implications' are in the discussion section of a report? Some friends are saying that it is about whether the results are 'relevant' to the real world. For example, watching the video during Loftus' experiment is not the same as seeing an accident in real life. Therefore, it is not necessarily relevant due to potential different responses.

Other people also said that it is how the results will affect people in real life (this is what i thought it was). For example, Loftus' experiment shows the eye-witness testimony is not foolproof and can be influenced by leading questions and misinformation after the event.

Could someone point me in the right direction? Would be best if it was by tomorrow but I was thinking I might put down both (since they don't contradict in an ERA report SAC) just to make sure i cover the bases.

Thanks!!!
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #411 on: April 03, 2017, 11:41:21 am »
+1
Hi!
Could someone please explain what 'implications' are in the discussion section of a report? Some friends are saying that it is about whether the results are 'relevant' to the real world. For example, watching the video during Loftus' experiment is not the same as seeing an accident in real life. Therefore, it is not necessarily relevant due to potential different responses.

Other people also said that it is how the results will affect people in real life (this is what i thought it was). For example, Loftus' experiment shows the eye-witness testimony is not foolproof and can be influenced by leading questions and misinformation after the event.

Could someone point me in the right direction? Would be best if it was by tomorrow but I was thinking I might put down both (since they don't contradict in an ERA report SAC) just to make sure i cover the bases.

Thanks!!!

What is required as part of the "implications" part of an ERA is not that specific, seeing as what you can write about will vary depending on the actual study. Therefore, you could probably write on either or both; however generally, I'd personally focus on 'how the results can be applied on a wider-scale' (that is, in the real world).

Best of luck! :)
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

• Forum Regular
« Reply #412 on: April 13, 2017, 10:05:24 pm »
+1
Hey :)
I'm having a bit of trouble picking out the ABC's in operant conditioning

Firstly, if a question asked to explain someones change in behaviour using the three phase model of operant conditioning, would you select the ABC for before the behaviour change and also for after so you have two 'sets' of ABC's?

Also, could someone tell me if my answer for this question is right (there are no answers)

Charlotte experiences the 'runners high' (due to endorphin release) when she ran a mini-marathon and as a result has started running 10 kilometers three times a week. Explain charlotte's changed behaviour using the three phase model of operant conditioning

Is the antecedent experiencing the runners high when she went on the mini-marathon, the behaviour is going for a run for 10km 3 times a week and the consequence is the endorphin release causing another runners high?
As there isn't any other info given I'd assume you would only write one 'set' of ABC's??

Thanks for the help :)

Mariamnourine

• Forum Regular
  • Be a voice, not an Echo
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #413 on: April 26, 2017, 02:11:52 pm »
Hey guys!!!

Has anyone purchased a Cambridge checkpoints book for psych?
I was just wondering if it'll be useful- are the question in their from past papers that are relevant to the new study design OR are they new questions written by the author VCAA style?
Cheers everyone :)
2017: TT, Psychology, Further, English, BusMan

2018 : Nursing [Clinical leadership] /midwifery @ Deakin

You can't always win, but don't be afraid to fail.

oJL8A99A

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #414 on: April 26, 2017, 10:49:04 pm »
Has anyone purchased a Cambridge checkpoints book for psych?
I was just wondering if it'll be useful- are the question in their from past papers that are relevant to the new study design OR are they new questions written by the author VCAA style?

Yes, I have and for the most part of Unit 3 it's been a massive pain in the ass. Lots of their questions come from VCAA and some are new. If you're correcting answers and one of them looks a bit strange - make sure you check the actual VCAA examiner's report because sometimes they write the wrong answer..

Generally, the longer something has been in the study design and even more importantly the more consistent something has been in the study design the better. Chapter 1/2 of Checkpoints are atrocious and filled with shit that is completely irrelevant to the course. From what I remember about 5 of the 50 multiple choice questions for Nervous System functioning were actually current. Heaps of questions were either completely out of place or were about all the lobes and parts of the cerebral cortex from Unit 1. Beware with those two chapters - the one's on stress are slightly better. It's a really good book if you're looking at stress and sleep (which has remained fairly the same and has really only moved units). There's a tonne of questions on those which I'd recommend. If you're looking for some more questions I'd recommend doing some Exam 2 (Unit 4) Exams from pre-2011 which will basically just give you stacks of learning and memory related content. From what I've seen in checkpoints, the further down the book you get the better it is - but the first chapters are slack.

In summary, is checkpoints good sort of but only after you sort through the four million irrelevant questions and work out which answers are actually factual and correct

And find other sources for more accurate questions on nervous system functioning

Hope this helps,

Sara

AngusC

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #415 on: April 27, 2017, 12:12:26 am »
+1
Hey :)
I'm having a bit of trouble picking out the ABC's in operant conditioning

Firstly, if a question asked to explain someones change in behaviour using the three phase model of operant conditioning, would you select the ABC for before the behaviour change and also for after so you have two 'sets' of ABC's?

Also, could someone tell me if my answer for this question is right (there are no answers)

Charlotte experiences the 'runners high' (due to endorphin release) when she ran a mini-marathon and as a result has started running 10 kilometers three times a week. Explain charlotte's changed behaviour using the three phase model of operant conditioning

Is the antecedent experiencing the runners high when she went on the mini-marathon, the behaviour is going for a run for 10km 3 times a week and the consequence is the endorphin release causing another runners high?
As there isn't any other info given I'd assume you would only write one 'set' of ABC's??

Thanks for the help :)

I believe your answer would be sufficient. If you aren't sure, I think in addition to saying "she experiences another runner's high", you might also write "which creates a sense of well being". There was a similar exam question worth 6 marks that averaged 2.6 in the state. One mark was awarded for each phase correctly named, and another for each phase correctly explained in relation to the scenario. Therefore, 3 each for naming and explaining the phases.

psychologie

• Trailblazer
« Reply #416 on: April 29, 2017, 09:39:27 pm »
does anyone know if action potential refers to the electrochemical message travelling through neurons and synapses OR is it just referring to the electrical impulse travelling through a neuron?

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #417 on: April 30, 2017, 11:46:45 am »
+2
does anyone know if action potential refers to the electrochemical message travelling through neurons and synapses OR is it just referring to the electrical impulse travelling through a neuron?

Tough question! This varies a bit from resource to resource. My personal understanding is that the action potential is just the electrical impulse travelling through a neuron (although I am happy to be challenged on this).

Note that you wouldn't need to know this for the end-of-year exam, so don't stress too much about it :)

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

• Forum Regular
« Reply #418 on: May 05, 2017, 09:50:36 am »
Hello :)

Could someone explain why/how Alzheimer's disease isn't reversible?

Thanks so much

dribeiro

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #419 on: May 06, 2017, 10:20:29 am »
+4
Hello :)

Could someone explain why/how Alzheimer's disease isn't reversible?

Thanks so much

Alzheimer's disease involves the formation of amyloid plaques which, in Alzheimer's, are toxic to neurons in the brain. Also, neurofibrillary tangles form which contribute to degradation of neurons in the brain. So we have these two factors contributing to the death of neurons in the brain, and we know that once neurons die we generally cannot regenerate them. Therefore, this disease is not reversible.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 09:23:33 am by Joseph41 »