Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:44:18 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469784 times)  Share 

Rob16

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #180 on: October 26, 2015, 02:37:58 pm »
Can developmental plasticity also involve rerouting and sprouting or does this only what occurs in adaptive plasticity? Similarly does circuit formation and pruning also occur adaptive plasticity (throughout the lifespan)?

Rob16

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #181 on: October 26, 2015, 05:24:44 pm »
Sorry for so many questions, but if the p-value is set at p<0.05 does that mean a p-value of 0.05 is considered statistically insignificant?

anat0my

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #182 on: October 26, 2015, 05:35:45 pm »
Can developmental plasticity also involve rerouting and sprouting or does this only what occurs in adaptive plasticity? Similarly does circuit formation and pruning also occur adaptive plasticity (throughout the lifespan)?

I think rerouting is characteristically adaptive plasticity. I don't think pruning occurs in adaptive. Just my 2cents.

jyce

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #183 on: October 26, 2015, 05:36:24 pm »
+1
Sorry for so many questions, but if the p-value is set at p<0.05 does that mean a p-value of 0.05 is considered statistically insignificant?

I could definitely be wrong here, but I don't think p values are ever expressed as being equal to a value, but rather only ever as being less than or greater than a particular value, considering that they are derived from a continuous probability distribution.
If someone knows better, please correct me.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:14:20 pm by jyce »

anat0my

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #184 on: October 26, 2015, 05:37:44 pm »

I think it still is statistically significant because it's set at 0.05 OR less than that. Btw don't worry keep the questions coming :)

Rob16

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #185 on: October 27, 2015, 02:38:57 pm »
Do you include the population in an operationalised IV? (not in the hypothesis, just the operationalised IV by itself) E.g. whether VCE students use acrostics or acronyms or whether participants use acrostics of acronyms?

jyce

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2015, 02:43:21 pm »
Do you include the population in an operationalised IV? (not in the hypothesis, just the operationalised IV by itself) E.g. whether VCE students use acrostics or acronyms or whether participants use acrostics of acronyms?

I would say that you don't have to. My understanding is that the operationalised hypothesis needs to include the target population, whereas the operationalised IV must simply state the IV in terms of how it will be measured. That being said, I doubt you'd be marked incorrect for writing 'VCE students' as opposed to 'participants' in your operationalised IV.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 02:58:53 pm by jyce »

warya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #187 on: October 27, 2015, 03:08:28 pm »
Could someone please explain how retrieval theory and semantic network theory and elaborative rehersal are related?
http://i.imgur.com/VK9S9ET.gif

2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedical Science, Monash University
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

jyce

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #188 on: October 27, 2015, 03:22:33 pm »
Could someone please explain how retrieval theory and semantic network theory and elaborative rehersal are related?

I can try, although this stuff is fuzzy for me.
Basically, elaborative rehearsal involves adding meaning to the information that you are trying to remember. Now, semantic network theory states that memories in long-term memory are stored, connected to one another and retrieved based on meaning. So, combining elaborative rehearsal with semantic network theory, if you use elaborative rehearsal to remember something you will link that thing to existing semantic networks within your long-term memory. This will make the new information easier to retrieve, as you will now have a bunch of cues via the semantic networks.

The Usual Student

• Forum Leader
  • Wisdom begins in wonder
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #189 on: October 27, 2015, 05:02:40 pm »

Ok so, when info is eleboratively rehearsed, info is given meaning or associations with previous information in memory, it semantically encodes the information into our LTM and allows for it to fit into semantic networks through making these associations. Retrieval theory states our ability to retrive info is imapired from not having enough cues or not using cues correctly in order to recover and locate info in LTM,semantic networks provide links that associate different nodes or units of info which can serve as cues that assist in recollection of that info. Hence, info that is elabaortively reharsed or info organised in a semantic network is less resistant to forgetting under the retrieval theory of forgetting due to the links and associations that connect different nodes that can function as cues.

so essentially the above hahaha just relaised someone alreayd answered, just remember to highlight the links between all three concepts,

I am a unicorn

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2015, 12:44:22 pm »
Why are continuous schedules of reinforcement most easily extinguished?
:) :) :)

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #191 on: October 28, 2015, 04:15:22 pm »
Could someone please give me a quick run-down of developmental plasticity?

Specifically relating to migration, circuit formation, synaptogenesis, proliferation, synaptic pruning and myelination!?!
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

sparkyblossom

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: ATAR Notes
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #192 on: October 28, 2015, 04:55:25 pm »
+2
Could someone please give me a quick run-down of developmental plasticity?

Specifically relating to migration, circuit formation, synaptogenesis, proliferation, synaptic pruning and myelination!?!

Developmental plasticity basically includes these 5 components:
Migration - the neurons move to their destined location, thus their role is also determined
Proliferation - the cells that will become neurons multiply and divide
Circuit formation - neural pathways are formed between neurons
Synaptic pruning - any excess/useless neurons and synapses are gotten rid of
Myelination - the neurons are myelinated

anat0my

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #193 on: October 28, 2015, 11:18:06 pm »
GOODLUCK tomorrow everyone!  ;D

sparkyblossom